Disney moving jobs from Calif to Fl

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

"Disney says they'll be paying moving costs for all 2,000 employees."

I wonder how many folks won't want to relocate across country and will opt out?

Based on the tax and cost of living differences I think most will accept the move.

17 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Based on the tax and cost of living differences I think most will accept the move.

I'll bet it's more like 50%.  It's hard to get people to move away from the area they are used to, to say nothing of leaving family, if they are close.

10 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I'll bet it's more like 50%.  It's hard to get people to move away from the area they are used to, to say nothing of leaving family, if they are close.

Personally, I'd have to realllllly love my job (and be paid darned well for it) to move 3000 miles away from everything.  Not to mention those with spouses/partners will have to be willing to leave their jobs and find new ones as well.

Plus there's the housing consideration...

"This comes as the Orlando housing market is showing some of the lowest supply of houses available in history, with demand at an all-time high."

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/07/16/broker-says-housing-supply-is-slim-as-2000-disney-employees-plan-to-move-to-lake-nona/

I would be surprised if a majority of the employees moved with the mission. While typically made for other business reasons companies try to take advantage of mission moves to reduce headcount. They know that many of the older higher paid employees and those with deep local ties will leave the company rather than move. I would expect this to be the case with the California work force. The result is the company reduces headcount while getting good PR in the receiving location about all of the jobs they created as it is rare for people to go back and look to see if they really brought all of the promised jobs. 

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

I would be surprised if a majority of the employees moved with the mission. While typically made for other business reasons companies try to take advantage of mission moves to reduce headcount. They know that many of the older higher paid employees and those with deep local ties will leave the company rather than move. I would expect this to be the case with the California work force. The result is the company reduces headcount while getting good PR in the receiving location about all of the jobs they created as it is rare for people to go back and look to see if they really brought all of the promised jobs. 

I hadn't even considered this angle, but it makes a lot of sense.