7 hours ago, Lou... said:

I said all along that working for the Disney company is a love hate relationship. Loved the actual work but hated how day to day things were managed.

I think that describes perfectly how every single CM we got to know over the years felt.  So many of the folks at the Fort who were there every winter we were down loved their work, loved meeting and catching up with the guests, but dreaded the looney-tunes management that didn't have a hot clue about what guests really wanted and needed and were constantly "improving" things.

The last time we dropped by the Fort to visit with those folks though all of them told us they were pulling the plug shortly and getting out.  I suspect that the next time we get there we won't recognize a single face.

1 hour ago, lightbikes said:

So many of the folks at the Fort who were there every winter we were down loved their work,<<snip>> but dreaded the looney-tunes management that didn't have a hot clue about what guests/customers really wanted and needed and were constantly "improving" things.

But I think you're describing a large portion of corporate America

On 9/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

How is that any different than a vast majority of CO-OP jobs at any college?   You get to work for slightly above minimum wage for College Credits and no other benefits and there is no guarantee that you will be hired after graduation.  I have a good friend who swears by the College Program and he "Loves DIS" for the doors that the program opened for him.  He is currently the Director of Ticket Operations for an NFL team.

I have no idea about co-op college jobs.  I only know what friends and family who were part of Disney's college program told me.  They had no choice but to stay in Disney apartments with up to 6 other kids, maybe more I forget.   Could not stay with family or friends, money deducted from pay for rent and more my brain is not remembering.

32 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

They had no choice but to stay in Disney apartments with up to 6 other kids, maybe more I forget.   Could not stay with family or friends, money deducted from pay for rent and more my brain is not remembering.

Then things have changed, right from FAQ about the program.  Also not what I heard from our friend

https://thedisneyoutpost.com/2021/06/28/disney-college-program-faq/

Q: Do you need to live in company sponsored housing?
A: No, living in company sponsored housing is not a requirement. CPs may opt to find their own housing, which may or may not be less expensive (depending on a number of factors like roommates, location, amenities, transportation costs, etc…) though many CPs choose to live in program housing as it can be easier than securing a short term lease on their own, and transportation to and from work is included in the rent. Additionally, housing events take place for CPs, and many participants worry that by living off site they may miss out on some of the experience

On 9/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, Lou... said:

I said all along that working for the Disney company is a love hate relationship. Loved the actual work but hated how day to day things were managed. For me it was an occasional and temporary escape from my actual profession for the first twelve years and then a retirement job for the last ten, I never had to climb the corporate ladder. And when they did offer me an interview for a full time position in the Ride & Show group, I declined because I knew I wouldn't last when it became real. 

Now after having received my Mickey gold watch from Disney and retaining all my benefits, I look back and feel good about my couple of decades as a CM, no regrets, I had a lot of fun. I'd still be a CM if I could.

At least you got a watch!  After 35 years with the Post Office I got a folder with a letter saying thanks.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

At least you got a watch!  After 35 years with the Post Office I got a folder with a letter saying thanks.

That’s wrong.  A lifetime of commitment.  While I understand that none of us works for free, there’s something to be said about the value of a career, value of time dedicated.  It’s unfortunate that that was the way they let you leave 😕

21 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

That’s wrong.  A lifetime of commitment.  While I understand that none of us works for free, there’s something to be said about the value of a career, value of time dedicated.  It’s unfortunate that that was the way they let you leave 😕

Most governmental agencies do not give our "Retirement Goodies"....  After my 30 + in local government that's all I got too. 

9 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Most governmental agencies do not give our "Retirement Goodies"....  After my 30 + in local government that's all I got too. 

I'm retiring in December after 41 years of civil service with the Navy.  I'll get a few certificates. I am getting a flag flown over our building, but my boss has to pay for that.  I didn't ask for one but she is insisting; which is nice of her to do.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Then things have changed, right from FAQ about the program.  Also not what I heard from our friend

https://thedisneyoutpost.com/2021/06/28/disney-college-program-faq/

Q: Do you need to live in company sponsored housing?
A: No, living in company sponsored housing is not a requirement. CPs may opt to find their own housing, which may or may not be less expensive (depending on a number of factors like roommates, location, amenities, transportation costs, etc…) though many CPs choose to live in program housing as it can be easier than securing a short term lease on their own, and transportation to and from work is included in the rent. Additionally, housing events take place for CPs, and many participants worry that by living off site they may miss out on some of the experience

Nice to know that has changed.

19 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I find that unfortunate.  Leaving a career, after decades, is a big deal.  Hopefully each of you had coworkers that gave you a good send off.

20 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

They typically don't do much. My Dad retired after 60 years of military and federal government service. The office  threw him an afternoon party plus gave him a nice parting gift. He received an official letter and a flag that had flown over the White House from his representative in the House due to the office chief suggesting it. The flag and letter were the only official government retirement items. Everything else was the other people in the office chipping in to see Dad off.

59 minutes ago, keith_h said:

They typically don't do much. My Dad retired after 60 years of military and federal government service. The office  threw him an afternoon party plus gave him a nice parting gift. He received an official letter and a flag that had flown over the White House from his representative in the House due to the office chief suggesting it. The flag and letter were the only official government retirement items. Everything else was the other people in the office chipping in to see Dad off.

60 years.  Wow.  That’s amazing ❤️🇺🇸

14 hours ago, keith_h said:

He lied about his age and went into the service after turning 15 years old and hit mandatory retirement at 75.

Mandatory retirement... novel idea.  Amazing that this applies to only some positions in our federal government.  

What a fantastic legacy he left you.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks. We will hope for the best. Both of the girls were treated poorly by Disney during the pandemic, and both had previous offers to return to lesser roles that they rejected. Working for DCL, though, comes with some next-level perks and opportunities, so this will hopefully go well for her. 

TCD

Congrats to your daughter, TCD. We too loved our time spent at the fort, but I don't see us going back for quite a while. The last annual passes we bough (ca. 2017?) were about $800. As you said, though, Disney always wins. 

We've been traveling around the country more lately looking at colleges, and taking in the national parks. Looking at maybe a trip to Ireland next year if the world doesn't fall apart before then. 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, LONE-STAR said:

Congratulations on your daughter's job TCD

Thanks Michael. So far so good, but if I were a betting man, I doubt either of the twins will have long careers at Disney. I wouldn’t have said that two years ago, but if things continue in the current direction, don’t see them sticking around. 

44 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Congrats to your daughter, TCD. We too loved our time spent at the fort, but I don't see us going back for quite a while. The last annual passes we bough (ca. 2017?) were about $800. As you said, though, Disney always wins. 

We've been traveling around the country more lately looking at colleges, and taking in the national parks. Looking at maybe a trip to Ireland next year if the world doesn't fall apart before then. 

Sad, but good for you. Disney used to be “worth it,” but there are so many more interesting and better priced options in this world. Enjoy your travels!

TCD

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

So far so good, but if I were a betting man, I doubt either of the twins will have long careers at Disney. I wouldn’t have said that two years ago, but if things continue in the current direction, don’t see them sticking around. 

Before retiring I worked for one of the very large computer companies. As I told newer kids when they came in fresh out of college I would not look at making the company a lifetime career like I did as the company had changed dramatically. However I told them if they could stick it out for 2 - 5 years having worked here still pulled a lot of weight in the industry and looked good on a resume. I suspect Disney is in a similar place so my advice to a young person would be the same. Use the time to build up some experience and bolster the resume as having worked at Disney should pull a lot weight when competing for other jobs in their field.

• 1 month later...