A sweet time!

We just got back from a trip to the sweet spot. Any guesses? Here is a hint chocolate. 

This was the first time out in are new to us travel trailer. In this trip is my husband my self and 2 older teen nieces. One from my side and one from my husbands side. My one niece picked the place so she was really excited. The girls did not know about the new camper we kept it a surprise. We parked around the corner when we picked them up and they really got excited to see the camper. 

We have memberships at six flags with dinning and would be driving right past it. We decided to make a quick stop remember that word and get something to eat since it is already paid for. We have about a 45 min drive to get here. About half way my husband notices the lights on the camper have stopped working. We pull over and the turn signals and brake lights work just not the running lights. It is not dark out yet so we continue on he will look at it more when we get there. We arrive and park in the busses lot and run in. We get are food and are snack and, eat real quick. My husband heads out to look at the lights I stay with the girls they want to ride one coaster. 

The line was longer than we thought I was getting a bit nervous we had to get going. I had not heard from my husband but was not worried. After the ride we refill are soda cups and hit the bathroom. I rush the girls along and we make are way back to the van and camper. As we get closer I see the back door open to the van and my husband still working on the lights. At this point it's been a little over a hour. Now I know why he never called me.

Do we fix the lights or head back home?

We left off working on the lights. During this my one niece fell a sleep, I cut my finger, security came by, the park closed and, all the employees left. We are off to a great start!

Once my husband stopped thinking it was the trailer and took a second to think he fixed it in 5 min. It was the van all along. We are now on are way. I do not even want to tell you how long we were in the parking lot. Once we got close to Chicago we saw a accident happen right before us. And another one that just happened. I hate driving thru there it is always stressful. We made it thru and now it is smooth sailing. We drove most of the night and did pull over for a few hours. The niece who fell asleep before pretty much slept right through everything. 

Later than we wanted we finally arrived at Hershey camping resort. Check in went smooth very friendly staff. We had pre picked are site when making reservations so we new what to expect. It had been raining for most of the day as was still the case. We set up quickly and was glad we did not have to set up are old pop up camper in the rain. We decided not to hook up to water we would not be at the camper very much and, it was a short walk to the bath house. We did not have sewer hook up and did not want to mess with dumping tanks on are first time.

We have been here before and always go to a local pizza place for dinner. We called a head and ordered we were starving the sandwiches from lunch had worn off. We got back into the van and headed into town I think it was about 10 min. We picked up are order and found a table that was outside but, covered. We enjoyed are dinner. It was still raining and the girls did not want to walk around so, we headed back.

When we got back we played a card game and got ready for bed.  It rained pretty much all night till about 4am. 

One girl was up early ready to go the other I had to wake up. We got ready had breakfast and walked up to the little store they have. They have discount tickets for Hershey attractions. Got are tickets and my niece showed me a sweatshirt she was thinking of buying. We made the short walk back to the site and piled into the van.

This morning we are going to Hershey Gardens. This was a first for all of us. It was a hot sunny day. They have those sun blocker umbrellas you can borrow. The gardens are beautiful and they have a butterfly room. The girls walked around with us for a bit and then went on their own.  It wasn't to crowded which was nice. We spent a couple of hours here and the girls wanted lunch.

We made a quick stop at the grocery store that was 5 min down the road and picked up some things for lunch and dinner for the next of couple of days.

Back at the site we had lunch and we put the AC on in the camper. The pool was closed for cleaning so, the girls relaxed and the hubby and I walked around the campground.

While walking it started to get dark and looking like rain. We headed back but, not in time a brief shower went through. It was almost done when we made it back. We got the girls ready tonight we are going to the theme park. 

It is a great campground this was are 3rd time staying here. Bathrooms are nice and plenty of them spread out. There is a active train that runs along the grounds so you may hear that on and off all day and night. They do have a couple of playgrounds that seem nice. In the main building that used to be a barn is a little store that sells coffee ,a few snacks ,souvenirs and, tickets the office and, a small arcade. Not sure about that time of year but they do have activities and outdoor movies. You might want to ask when they turn the water off for the year. 

Anything else you might want to know? 

We are headed to the Hershey park. The campground has a shuttle that leaves every half hour. With are tickets we are allowed the sweet start. It is entry for free 3 hours before park closes the day before you activate your ticket. The park closed at 7 so, we got on the 3:30 shuttle. We arrived and they let us in early. The girls rode the newest coaster right when we got there with a 10 min wait it wasn't even 4 yet! We did a few more rides at the front of the park. The girls got in line for a coaster when all of a sudden the sky opened up. They came running out of the line and we ran to the arcade. It rained for about a half hour. The girls got back in line for the coaster they were in line for but, had to wait for the rides to open back up. Of course that ride was one of the last ones to open. While they waited my husband and I rode the antique cars. After they had time for one more ride and the park was closed. 

On the way out we went in and checked out the new restaurant and gift shop. We also enjoyed some free AC and ice water it was a hot and humid night. We had to get on the last shuttle of the day so, we couldn't spend to much time. While walking my husband and one niece got a head I noticed they were going the wrong way. My niece and I turned around. I called my husband and told him I think your going the wrong way. His response no we have to go around Chocolate world. Guess who was right? My niece and I waited a good 15 min for them. They ended up turning around. We made it onto the shuttle and headed back. 

Once back we made dinner, played a card game and, got ready for bed. 

The next day the park opens for resort guest a hour before opening to the public. And we are considered resort guest even at the campground. The first shuttle leaves at 9:30. We send the girls to get in line and we double check that we have everything. We run up and are able to make it on the first shuttle. Are driver gives a few facts about Hershey and we arrive at the park. The girls take a few photos and we get in line. The park opens at 10 for us and they make us wait till 10 to get in. We get in with no problems. The plan was to start at the back of the park and work are way up. We start walking and see a lot of rides still closed. We make are way on and are stopped by a rope saying this part opens at 11:00. Well that's just great there goes are plan. They have a water park in the back that opens at 11 and folks are lining up already. The temps today are in the nineties with high humidity. It was Florida weather. 

We start walking back the way we came and my hubby and I ride a small kiddie coaster it was not something two teen girls wanted to do they opted out. We had a fun little ride and found the girls at the bumper cars. They just got on so we could not ride with them we got in line. The girls got done and decided to wait in line for the shooting game kind of like Buzz and Toy Story. The group the girls were in had gotten the cars all bunched up and stuck together. This took the worker a while to undo the mess. We finally got are ride and found the girls.

By now we had about 15 min wait. They had gotten pretty close to the front of the line. This is a popular ride with lines easily over a hour. The sun was blazing hot in line and the worker would not open the line so we could stand in the shade. At 11:oo the line still not open there was a lot of unhappy people. A small group of people went into the exit just to get out of the sun for a while. About 5 min later a worker walks into the building and, another worker comes out and takes over for the guy who is guarding the line entrance and the shade. He tells us they are doing testing and doesn't know when it will open. Great we have been here for 25 min we decide to wait has most of the people. This guy at least lets us get in line which is covered. The line was really growing and blocking traffic in the walk way. In all with the wait and ride time it was close to a hour. It is a really fun ride. One niece was the big winner. After this we see the ride time is close to two hours now.

We do a couple of wooden coasters and the girls do a wild mouse style ride. The girls are hungry and want subway for lunch. All of the tables open have no shade or umbrellas. I find a open bench in the shade and wait for them. It takes about a half hour to get the food. After lunch we make way over to the sealion show. We have about 30 min before the next show. We arrive and have to wait for them to open the seating. We find a curb and sit down and wait about 15 min. This was a cute show it was close to twenty min long. After this the girls ride a few more coasters. They have a zoo connected to the park that you can get into for free with your admission. 

The girls decided they would rather do something else. Us old people enjoyed a nice pleasant walk around the zoo. It's not that big but it's a nice break from rides and, it's free. We text the girls and meet up with them.

They do another coaster and we walk over to the last one they need to do them all it's a hour wait. They decide to skip it. It's similar to something they have ridden before. They decide to ride something else they really liked. After this we get in line for the train. This is a nice ride just long enough. Next up is the monorail. That's right they have a monorail. We wait a half hour for this. It takes you around the zoo and out of the park where the factory used to be. You get to hear a little about them on a recorded message. You make a small loop and arrive back.

After this it's around 6:15 the park closes at 7. The girls are hot and tired and want to head back. My husband I want one more go at the shooting game. We will meet them back at the camper. We are on and off in 30 min and this time I was the big winner. We make are way back up to the front of the park and exit. I make sure to point out my husband mistake the night before on which way to go. We have to wait for the next shuttle as we just missed one. The next one arrives we get on and we are told we have to wait till we are full or 7:45 which ever comes first. We wait about 10 min on the shuttle no one else comes and we leave way before 7:45 and we are not full. Not really sure what was going on. We are told we are going a new way because of traffic. It was only a couple min longer not a big a deal.

We arrive back and we are all hungry we make dinner and get ready for bed. We are all tired after being on the go all day in the hot sun. Tomorrow we have to leave Hershey. 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, Robin said:

It is a great campground this was are 3rd time staying here. Bathrooms are nice and plenty of them spread out. There is a active train that runs along the grounds so you may hear that on and off all day and night. They do have a couple of playgrounds that seem nice. In the main building that used to be a barn is a little store that sells coffee ,a few snacks ,souvenirs and, tickets the office and, a small arcade. Not sure about that time of year but they do have activities and outdoor movies. You might want to ask when they turn the water off for the year. 

Anything else you might want to know? 

Thanks for the information.  I didn't even think about them turning off the water.  We can fill our tank, but definitely need to be prepared.

Today we are leaving Hershey. We have some time before we have to leave. We enjoy a nice breakfast and get ready. We are going to Chocolate world today. We walk up to the front and take the shuttle. This time we have a different driver. Chocolate world and the Theme park are right next to each other so, just one shuttle. This driver informs us that only the front of the theme park is open. Great now that would of been good to know a few days ago does not help us now. 

We walk around the gift shop which is huge by the way. We could not resist and did buy some candy.  There is a small food court and , a few counters that sell all sorts of chocolate desserts and ice cream. They have a few attractions in here for a extra charge. We decided to skip them and, do the free tour. This is a cute ride. You sit in a vehicle kind of like the imagination ride. It takes you around different scenes on how chocolate is made. At the exit you are given a free mini Hershey bar. We decide a treat is in order. We all got a a yummy milk shake. After this it's time to head back and get ready to leave. We get back on the shuttle we are now pros on it's location and arrive back.

We start packing things up to leave. I run up to the bathroom when I get back I see my husband talking to a worker. I get closer and hear them talking about where we are going next. The guy leaves and my husband tells me that someone complained about us. They said we had brown liquid coming out of are camper and, they thought it was sewage. The worker looked around and did not find anything. We did not even connect to the water or sewer so, we are confused? I was thinking we had till 3 to check out so, I was taking my time. All of a sudden I remembered the next campground is 3 this one is at 1. I look at the time it's now 1. Now remember this is are first time with a travel trailer. We rush around and pull out 1:25.

We are headed to Ohiopyle state park for 2 nights. It's about a three hour drive. We had lunch on the drive and the girls took a little nap. I remembered reading that if you have a trailer or Rv to take a alternate road in. The roads are steep and hilly. We make it with no problems. We had picked are spot when we made are reservation and, are happy with it. Sometimes it can be hard to tell on a map with a little picture. The bathrooms are what you would expect not the best but, they will do. They do have showers, flush toilets and, a kitcken sink for washing dishes.

We set up and drive to the closest store. All that there was is a Dollar General. We got only a few things here we will find a big store tomorrow. We head back and make dinner. It starts raining lightly so, we play a board game and get ready for bed.  

• 2 weeks later...

Before I go on I almost forgot about this odd thing.

While we were at Hershey Camping resort on are last night I went into the bathroom. Now the bathroom was pretty full at this time of night as women were getting their families ready for bed. Showers ,teeth brushed ,pj's on etc. They have a counter of sinks I think there was 5 sinks. When I walked in I saw a young twenty something with a electric shaver shaving her hair at the middle sink. I might be in the wrong here but it grossed me out. Hair was flying all over the place. She did not have a towel down. I turned around and walked right back out. I walked up to the main bathrooms by the office and pool. Guess who walked in while I was there. Yup this time she brought someone with to help her. At least I was the only one in there so I could keep my distance.

I wonder if someone said something or she realized she should not be doing that in a crowded bathroom with people trying to brush their teeth and wash up next to her?

Maybe it was just me but I felt it was wrong. I highly doubt she cleaned up after.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the day why we came here. We are going hiking and and find a waterfall.

We have a quick breakfast and look over the map we got at check in. We pack up a change of shoes, towels, sunscreen, snacks and, water. It is a beautiful day! Blue sky shinning sun and about 90 out. We drive a few miles down the road and find the parking lot for the waterfall. It is a short hike down and it is really beautiful! You can walk around in the water and even walk behind the waterfall. After playing around by the water we take the trail down to a clearing and we find a swimming spot. The water is cold but it feels good. There are a few people enjoying the water. Now we came to Ohiopyle because my niece saw that they have natural waterslides. We see a sign that you can hike over there from this location. We had planned to drive over but we came to hike. Now this trail was a bit rougher than we are used to. We had to climb up some rocks and ,watch out for tree roots. Did I mention we had on water shoes and crocs not the best for hiking. They did have the trail marked every so often. Always a relief to see those markings!  Just as the girls started to complain that they were tired we see the rapids. Now they suddenly forget how hot and tired they are. We see some people jumping off rocks into the water. There is no way I will let any of us do that. You have to land just in the right spot. We keep on going till we find the slides. There was a lot of rocks in the water and they were super slippery! So my niece hands her brand new phone over to my husband and tells him to film her going down. He has instructions on not to drop the phone. I wonder up the water a little but, do not get far it is very slippery. I head back and see the rest of my group standing at the bottom of a slide. I see my husband go down and pop back up. My niece spots me and says my phone. I see 3 panicked faces. As I get closer I find out it was not my husband but my niece who dropped it. She slipped while filming and the phone flew out of her hand. They watched it go down the slide and into the drop at the end. We ask a group of people down below us if they saw it. They said no but to go all the way down to the bottom and look there.

We get out of the way for a women who wants to slide down. When she gets to the drop my niece ask her if she felt anything. She tells us she did but thought it was a rock. My husband goes over to the spot she points out. My niece has a sparkling case on her phone he sees something shimmer reaches down and pulls out the phone. What a relief! My niece was so happy! The phone still worked. The speaker was a little funny but it was still working. I can not imagine what it would of been like with a teen with no phone! We play around in the water and on the slides for a little while and hike back. 

My husband and I drop off the girls at the camper. They want to stay back and relax. My husband and I head out to find a real grocery store. 

• 3 weeks later...

Success we find a great grocery store about 30 min away. We did not have a stove in are pop up we are excited to try out are new one. I know it doesn't take much. We get some meatballs from the deli and we are making spaghetti with jar red sauce. We also get some rice for the phone, smore stuff and, a few more items for the ride home.

On the drive back it is looking dark and looking like it will rain. We make it back and, bring everything in. Get the stove started fairly easy just has it starts to rain. While I make dinner my husband puts a movie on. It now is really coming down. I must say it felt very cozy in there. The stove worked great dinner was a success. After the movie the rain had slowed down. I head over to the bathroom to wash the dishes. My husband is trying to make a fire. He is not having much luck. I bring out a board game and start to set it up. I send the girls to help with the fire. There seems to be a break in the rain. The girls come in and we have enough of a fire to make smores. After a bit by the fire we head in and play the game. 

We have had a big day we get ready and go to bed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Husband and I are up girls are sleeping. We make a variety of things for breakfast using up things we have. Girls are still sleeping we eat, get dressed girls are still sleeping. 

Now this is the campground we don't have to be out of till 3 we have time. Husband and I decide the heck with it we are going out. We leave their breakfast on the table the girls still sleeping and get into the van. We had passed on the way in not to far from where we are something that looked interesting. We are going to explore the Fort of Necessity.  It's a battlefield in Farmington.

We did not know what to expect but, we like history and, have some time. They have a very nice visitor center. Super clean restrooms, gift shop and, tons of displays. We are greeted right when we get in by the ranger. After a brief description about what this is all about we walk around for a little while another couple comes in soon after us other wise place all to ourselves. They also have a small theater with a short movie about the battle. The movie is about to start we head in. We learned things we never knew very well done just the right amount of time. After the movie we walk around inside some more you could really spend hours here if you like this kind of stuff. We don't have to much time as we have a long drive a head. We finish up inside and walk around the grounds. The ranger is about to give a tour with the other couple we are asked to join. We really wish we had the time we have to decline. We find the fort and walk around for about 10 more min but, we have to get going. We are so glad we decided to stop we both really enjoyed this. I don't think the girls would of though glad we left them.

We arrive to find both girls up! They ate are dressed and ready to go. We pack up at a nice pace this time nice to not have to rush. We are very happy we don't have to wipe down wet canvas that we used to have to worry about with the pop up. We did not use are tanks all we have to do is unplug no dump station to stop at. We are on are way.

We stopped for dinner at a Bob Evan's both girls have never been. We don't have these around us. The food was really bad! Now by husband and I have been to these before and the food was always fine nothing fancy but at least it was good and, hot. Not this time we will not be back to one of these any time soon. 

The rest of the way home went smooth girls slept on and off how they could still be tired I don't know? We made it back home never had any more problems with the lights. Glad it happened when it did. We loved the new camper and can't wait for next year! 

Thank you for reading along on are little trip!