Disney Genie goes live October 19

On 10/11/2021 at 11:25 AM, keith_h said:

I guess they don't want those of us that don't like to micromanage their day or to be micromanaged when visiting the parks. 

The claims they are making about how this app will help guests are ridiculous. It’s bad enough that they are price gouging again, but what makes it worse is that the damn app will be just as glitchy as all of their other app iterations. The DCL app is a piece of crap. The MDE app crashed at the MK for most of the day on the big 50th anniversary day on October 1.  And they expect us to believe that this new app will somehow plan a perfect day for guests? No way. 

TCD

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The claims they are making about how this app will help guests are ridiculous. It’s bad enough that they are price gouging again, but what makes it worse is that the damn app will be just as glitchy as all of their other app iterations. The DCL app is a piece of crap. The MDE app crashed at the MK for most of the day on the big 50th anniversary day on October 1.  And they expect us to believe that this new app will somehow plan a perfect day for guests? No way. 

TCD

TCD, tell us how you really feel!  😄

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I'm thinking the app will work wonders for those guests who have never been to the parks, and never thought once about planning their day ahead of time.  They will find it so helpful to be able to see posted wait times, and purchase the plus package to 'cut in front'.  Those folks will feel special and find it magical.  For those of us who plan the day and read up on average waits at each ride, understand what RD means and zag when others zig, it won't be nearly as helpful.

Heck, down here in San Antonio, I see people shelling out their money to get the Quick Queue option ( $20 per person/day), when it is not necessary except for maybe 2 of the rides, and even then those rides standby waits are less than 20 minutes most days.  

People are willing to pay for what they perceive as convenience. 

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I'm thinking the app will work wonders for those guests who have never been to the parks, and never thought once about planning their day ahead of time.  They will find it so helpful to be able to see posted wait times, and purchase the plus package to 'cut in front'.  Those folks will feel special and find it magical.  For those of us who plan the day and read up on average waits at each ride, understand what RD means and zag when others zig, it won't be nearly as helpful.

Heck, down here in San Antonio, I see people shelling out their money to get the Quick Queue option ( $20 per person/day), when it is not necessary except for maybe 2 of the rides, and even then those rides standby waits are less than 20 minutes most days.  

People are willing to pay for what they perceive as convenience. 

The only people this app will help are Disney executives and shareholders. 

ETA- and travel agents.  I forgot them.  They will make nice commissions selling Genie+ to their guests  

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:23 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

The only people this app will help are Disney executives and shareholders. 

ETA- and travel agents.  I forgot them.  They will make nice commissions selling Genie+ to their guests  

TCD

Honestly, it’s not a lot of $ for agents, but it is a LOT of time explaining it. It’s super confusing to people who aren’t Disney regulars. 

We (a family of 6) are looking at going in June 2022.  After looking at 14 days at the fort and 10 day park tickets we will be passing on Genie+.  We like to plan ahead and not knowing what sort of value we would get out of it I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $1000 on it.  If it ran exactly like fast pass and I could book multiple things in advance I would consider it but as it sits now, I'll pass.  Looking at the free Genie service it doesn't look much better.  The free service seems more like Disney pushing crowds where they want them and marketing dining to you.  After watching multiple YouTube videos of people's experiences, I do think we will be doing it old school and using all the standby lines.

9 hours ago, Theed31u said:

The free service seems more like Disney pushing crowds where they want them and marketing dining to you.  After watching multiple YouTube videos of people's experiences, I do think we will be doing it old school and using all the standby lines.

Bingo!  This app is a blatant effort by Disney to try to move crowds to where they want them to go and to try to upsell food and lightning lane access and has nothing to do with improving the guest experience. It is ridiculous that the damned thing makes quick service food recommendations along with attraction recommendations with no way for the guest to stop that. Absolutely awful and unhelpful.

TCD

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Bingo!  This app is a blatant effort by Disney to try to move crowds to where they want them to go and to try to upsell food and lightning lane access and has nothing to do with improving the guest experience. It is ridiculous that the damned thing makes quick service food recommendations along with attraction recommendations with no way for the guest to stop that. Absolutely awful and unhelpful.

TCD

I agree that it is a blatant effort to move crowds, and certainly to upsell food and other options.  But I can't really say that moving crowds based on wait times is a bad thing.  If it can distribute people around the park so that all wait times are somewhat equal, that seems to me to be a good thing.   Having the ability to see the wait times in my hand, instead of having to find a board or walk to the ride to decide, is also a good thing. 

However, in watching the videos of vloggers "doing what the Genie says to do", they are putting in a LOT of steps, charging back and forth across the park.  Interestingly enough, Genie is not always telling them to go on the 'anytime' rides.  I have seen it direct people to Splash, PoC and SM, based on wait times and their preferences.  

This wouldn't work for me, because the walking puts me in so much pain, I travel from land to land and rarely make it back around the park a 2nd time.  I'll post a trip report when I'm back from my early December trip, and let you know how it went for me.  I've already purchased G+ for us, since we are only 2 people.  After watching how it works, I'm sure I'll love having it for MK and HS, and maybe AK, but I'm sure it'll be a waste at EP.  

2 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Having the ability to see the wait times in my hand, instead of having to find a board or walk to the ride to decide, is also a good thing. 

True, but wait times were available on the MDE app for the entire existence of FP+. So Genie is no improvement on that. 

Further, Disney has not used the red cards that they used to hand to guests to accurately measure wait times since they reopened after the Covid shutdown. Thus, all wait times are guesstimates, and Disney has deliberately been posting inflated wait times. Inflated wait times probably help Genie+ sales, but I’m sure there is some other honest reason Disney is posting fake wait times. 

TCD

59 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

True, but wait times were available on the MDE app for the entire existence of FP+. So Genie is no improvement on that. 

Further, Disney has not used the red cards that they used to hand to guests to accurately measure wait times since they reopened after the Covid shutdown. Thus, all wait times are guesstimates, and Disney has deliberately been posting inflated wait times. Inflated wait times probably help Genie+ sales, but I’m sure there is some other honest reason Disney is posting fake wait times. 

TCD

We found the wait times on GENIE to match what is posted at the attraction.

9 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

We found the wait times on GENIE to match what is posted at the attraction.

That’s probably true, but the posted wait times are not accurate. They can’t be- Disney is not using the available technology to measure wait times. They are guesses, or in some cases deliberate exaggerations. There are numerous YouTube videos from experienced park visitors that show this to be the case. 

TCD

22 hours ago, Theed31u said:

We (a family of 6) are looking at going in June 2022.  After looking at 14 days at the fort and 10 day park tickets we will be passing on Genie+.  We like to plan ahead and not knowing what sort of value we would get out of it I just can't bring myself to spend the extra $1000 on it.  If it ran exactly like fast pass and I could book multiple things in advance I would consider it but as it sits now, I'll pass.  Looking at the free Genie service it doesn't look much better.  The free service seems more like Disney pushing crowds where they want them and marketing dining to you.  After watching multiple YouTube videos of people's experiences, I do think we will be doing it old school and using all the standby lines.

That's going to be us in January - doing it old school.  I've already pointed out to everyone we can take turns getting in the standby lines while the others go for bathroom breaks or sitting down for a rest.  There will be 7 of us, spread over three generations and everything we've look at about this whole Genie, Genie+, and the extra purchase rides just looks like a way to force us through the parks the way Disney wants us to go, not the way we want to spend our day.  

Add to that it is a blatant money grab.  You can always count on Disney to find another revenue stream.   Plus when we add on the good old Canadian exchange rate that $15.00 per person/per day becomes $20.00.  Just a great big ouch.  

This will be the first time to stay back at the Fort in 6 years and from everything we're seeing it may well be another 6 years.   

I will post whatever we discover.  

On 10/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

That’s probably true, but the posted wait times are not accurate. They can’t be- Disney is not using the available technology to measure wait times. They are guesses, or in some cases deliberate exaggerations. There are numerous YouTube videos from experienced park visitors that show this to be the case. 

TCD

They have the technology to measure wait times. MB, Disney phone apps and facial recognition can easily measure when someone enters the ride gate and loads onto the ride. In fact since they can in theory read very person entering the ride the numbers would be more accurate than the old manual method. The question is are they using any of these methods? Assuming they are using one of these methods and the wait times are truly way off I'd say this is just another IT screw-up in Disney's long history of IT screw-ups.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

We're in at least one of the parks about once a week on average.  Since the re-opening, the wait times have been estimated by the length of the standby lines.  They have usually seemed to be about 10 minutes longer than actual, unless the ride is stopped a few times while waiting in line.  Since Genie+ started, the wait times for some attractions have increased significantly while others seem to have dropped.  For example, last Thursday, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was a 70 minute wait, Haunted Mansion was about a 45 minute wait while Pirates was a 5 minute wait.  The length of the stand by lines as we walked by seemed to back that up.  I don't know if the bulk of the lightning lane passes are going to certain rides, backing up the standby.  Looking at Genie+, Seven Dwarfs is an individual Lightning Lane purchase,.  Also, based on the available Lightning lanes time for the other Magic Kingdom rides, Haunted Manion has the latest availble times, meaning it is the most popular lightning lane ride.  As I write this, Haunted Mansion has an earliest available time of 11:25 while Pirates is 9:50.  So I guess it is plausible that Lightning Lanes is backing up the standby lines significantly for the more popular rides.

• 2 weeks later...