10/23 fort and steakhouse 71 review

As our daughter is still all about Disney even though we don’t go anymore, we surprised her with a lunch reservation for the new steakhouse 71 restaurant at the old wave at the contemporary resort yesterday. They revamped the interior to look more upscale and modern but nothing that knocked our socks off. Being a new place, they had their issues. We waited over an hour for our food but our waiter was great. We basically ordered the burger, the prime rib sandwich and the steak frites which were all good. The prices for lunch were not bad for eating at Disney. All entrees were around $18-$22.  Would we go back again?  Probably not but it at least got us to try something new. 
After lunch, we were dying to check out the Fort. It’s been 4 years since we have been there. We’re we disappointed.  First off, I guess the boats that go between the campgrounds, the lodge and contemporary have not been running since the start of the pandemic. This meant we need to walk to the MK to catch the big boat to the campground. When pulling up to the docks at the fort we were astonished to see how the beach and river country area were just left to deteriorate. We all know reflections were scrapped but talk about Disney basically abandoning the area. It was so sad to see the beach over grown and actually see a makeshift employee parking area in a dusty area where the river country ticket booth once stood. Also the mountains of dirt and concrete sewer pipes that are now overgrown with brush is just so not Disney. The whole area of the settlement is just ruined and there looks to be no fix in site. Once again, the fort takes back seat to any progress.  Again, happy for our memories years ago

26 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

We all know reflections were scrapped but talk about Disney basically abandoning the area. It was so sad to see the beach over grown and actually see a makeshift employee parking area in a dusty area where the river country ticket booth once stood. Also the mountains of dirt and concrete sewer pipes that are now overgrown with brush is just so not Disney. The whole area of the settlement is just ruined and there looks to be no fix in site. Once again, the fort takes back seat to any progress.  Again, happy for our memories years ago

Since nothing has been done it could very well be still in the plan, but after all the COVID BS is gone and things return to normal.  There would be no reason to do restoration if they are still going forward at a later date.  Just remember how long the buildings at AOA sat before work resumed. (I think that was the one).. 

Sad to hear about the marina & settlement areas.  We haven't been to the Fort since November 2019, so your status saddens me for our scheduled January trip. 

I (like many) wish they had never gotten started on Reflections.  Given the leadership, I imagine what work was done there will remain a blight for a LONG time.  

Sure hope I am wrong...