So how long can a CEO last?

So just saw this on Disney news blog:

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Pulled from Destination D23 Appearance Out of Fear Disney Fans Would Boo Him - 

When the presentations for this weekend’s Destination D23 event at Walt Disney World were posted back in July, the event was set to kick-off with an in-person welcome from Disney CEO Bob Chapek. This welcome was quietly removed from all announcements in the weeks following, and is now nowhere to be seen on the schedule.

Since July, the CEO has been under scrutiny from a fair amount of people, from the Hollywood elite, to plain-old day guests at Disney theme parks around the world. Just days after the Destination D23 schedule went live, Scarlett Johansson filed lawsuit against the company. Disney announced Genie+ and Lightning Lane in August to the worst public scrutiny any parks announcement had ever met on the internet. In solidarity with Imagineers, many signed a petition to remove Chapek as CEO, even if the petition wasn’t very well put together.

It became most clear that Chapek could not appear in front of Disney fans after his brief meet and greet with guests on October 1st at the Magic Kingdom. While some asked the CEO for a quick pic, others heckled him from afar over budget cuts, mass layoffs, and the “nickel-and-diming” that have been a hallmark of his regime as either the head of the theme parks division or now the entire company. Once the heckling started, Chapek bolted from the scene to a backstage area. That being said, he’s never been one for public appearances or for actually greeting guests, often making brief on-stage appearances and then leaving as quickly as possible after a photo or video is taken.

The more knowledgeable the Disney fan, the more likely they are to disagree with Chapek’s decisions, which often go against long-standing beliefs of past executives in The Walt Disney Company. You’d be hard-pressed to find a room of more knowledgeable or die-hard fans than you will this weekend at Destination D23, an event attended by members of Disney’s official fan club. Chapek being booed as he walked on stage on Saturday wouldn’t be a good look for the CEO, so he simply won’t appear according to sources inside the company.

Saturday’s festivities will instead be lead off with some nondescript introduction, which after this piece may end up being pre-recorded by Chapek to save face. Either way, any and all announcements regarding the future on Saturday will be left to Josh D’Amaro, who will make his first keynote presentation to the public since taking the job.

So the question is how long can a company that is supposed to be as public/family/tradition oriented as Disney keep a  CEO who's being booed at every public appearance?

23 hours ago, lightbikes said:

So the question is how long can a company that is supposed to be as public/family/tradition oriented as Disney keep a  CEO who's being booed at every public appearance?

What a naive question from this blogger. Chapek isn’t going anywhere. He’s doing exactly what the Board of Directors wants him to do- maximize profits no matter the cost. A better question would be to ask how much longer will D23 be around?  The Disney company clearly doesn’t give a rat’s ass about their fans, and that isn’t changing any time soon. 

TCD

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

What a naive question from this blogger. Chapek isn’t going anywhere. He’s doing exactly what the Board of Directors wants him to do- maximize profits no matter the cost. A better question would be to ask how much longer will D23 be around?  The Disney company clearly doesn’t give a rat’s ass about their fans, and that isn’t changing any time soon. 

TCD

Sorry TCD - I asked that as a sarcastic question.  I do realize that he is exactly what the company wants right now.  I just think it's sad

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, he will be CEO as long as Disney is making huge profits.  It would appear that Disney doesn't care about their loyal guest base.  The guests that visit infrequently aren't going to pay  the bills in the long run.  It's the guests that go to Disney many times a year and stay at the hotels and campground that bring in the most money.  Those that visit every 5 years or so bring in a large amount of money, but that is only for one visit.  At some point, only the rich will be able to afford Disney.

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, lightbikes said:

Well, I guess my question has been answered. 

Here's to some hopeful reform from Iger.  Not sure if he can stop the avalanche, but I'm happy to see him back. 

3 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Here's to some hopeful reform from Iger.  Not sure if he can stop the avalanche, but I'm happy to see him back. 

A lot of that avalanche started do to actions taken under Iger's watch. It didn't hit critical mass until after he had left and Chapek took over adding his own mistakes. I'm not sure how many things Iger can fix as a number of them are out of his control being caused by industry wide problems. No matter how it turns out I don't see a reduction in Park and resort prices being in the mix. One of Iger's tasks is to find a new replacement which I think will complicate finding one as the best candidates will turn down the opportunity knowing Iger is always in the wings waiting to take over. This puts me in a more wait and see as I'm not sure Iger is the savior a lot of folks are hoping for.

• 4 months later...