Jump to content

Kentucky Tennesse here we come!


Recommended Posts

This trip was just the two of us. I think that the time has come that most of are trips now will be this way.

We left off bright and early. Wanted to get thru Chicago before it got bad. Had the camper loaded the night before.

It has been a cold and rainy spring here. We live in southern Wisconsin. Looking forward to some warm sunny days.

Of course, now that we are leaving it's hot and sunny. Driving thru Chicago always stresses me out. People are crazy drivers.

It wasn't too bad. We made it to Cave City Ky, with no problems. We arrived at Cave City Rv park and set up was easy. We stayed here before and really like it.

All pull thru sites very level. We had neighbors on one side. The other side is empty. We will be here for three nights.

 We bought are used travel trailer last summer and never did mess with the sewer hookup. This will be the first time using it. While my husband messed with that, I made the bed and did a few other things in the camper. It feels so good to be camping again after winter!

My husband decided we needed this thing that holds your hose. Not sure the name of it. There was a camping world in Bowling Green that was not too far. Back in the van and off we go again. We find what we need and look around. This place is huge! We took a tour of the campers they have. We head back my husband again messes with the swear and I make dinner.

He is happy with the result, and everything seems to be working sucess. We have dinner and take a bike ride to down the street to get some ice cream. We decided to eat it back at the campsite. We find a movie to watch get comfy and have some of the best ice cream we have ever had. It is so quiet here and the weather is really nice. We then decide to get to bed we have had a long day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear things started off on a good foot.

I hear you on going around Chicago. I hate the area where all of the interstates overlap there along the south side of Chicago and Lake Michigan. It was there that our travel trailer and truck were hit by a driver who lost control in the rain and spun into us. You'd think in the 40 years since we left the area they could have done something about that stretch of road.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we are going to explore Mammoth Cave. I pre purchased our tour tickets before we left home. We just did the short tour Frozen Niagara it was about a hour long.

This was a nice tour I would recommend it! After the tour we did some hiking around the park. It was a beautiful day out. We then went back to the campground had a snack and checked on dinner. Before we left I started dinner in the slow cooker. I also called Disney and ordered are Halloween Party tickets. My husband loaded up are bikes. We decided to bike around Mammoth park. We biked for about a hour then we started to get hungry so we loaded up and made are way back. We took a different way back because we wanted to check out another campground. We have some relatives staying at Singing Hills. We just did a drive around. Nothing really here to us it looked like it needed some updating. If you need some place to just sleep for a night or two this would work. We will stick to Cave City. 

After dinner we decided we needed some more of that yummy ice cream. Got the bikes out and rode down. Again we brought are treat back to the camper and watched a movie before going to bed. This was a really good day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Today we are heading into Bowling Green. This is our real reason for coming down. There is a Buick national car show and races at Beechbend Raceway.

 Dinner again was in the slowcooker so I got that started and we are off. We spent the whole day at the show. We caught up with old friends and meet some new ones. It was a nice warm sunny day. It felt good to be outside! 

Once we got back we had dinner and a repeat of last night. Bike ride down for ice cream, movie and, bed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, Robin said:

Today we are going to explore Mammoth Cave. I pre purchased our tour tickets before we left home. We just did the short tour Frozen Niagara it was about a hour long.

This was a nice tour I would recommend it! After the tour we did some hiking around the park. It was a beautiful day out. We then went back to the campground had a snack and checked on dinner. Before we left I started dinner in the slow cooker. I also called Disney and ordered are Halloween Party tickets. My husband loaded up are bikes. We decided to bike around Mammoth park. We biked for about a hour then we started to get hungry so we loaded up and made are way back. We took a different way back because we wanted to check out another campground. We have some relatives staying at Singing Hills. We just did a drive around. Nothing really here to us it looked like it needed some updating. If you need some place to just sleep for a night or two this would work. We will stick to Cave City. 

After dinner we decided we needed some more of that yummy ice cream. Got the bikes out and rode down. Again we brought are treat back to the camper and watched a movie before going to bed. This was a really good day!

That's an area with lots to do.  Many many, too many, years ago I was a spelunker and did cave tours the hard way. There is actually a cave near Cumberland Lake that is larger than Manmouth Cave. Problem is once they built the lake it flooded the cave. One year they were working on the dam and lowered the water level so we were able to explore the cave. Hope you enjoyed the tour.  If you haven't gone to Chattanooga yet, Ruby Falls is another interesting tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we say goodbye and hello. We noticed that the campground really filled up most of the spots had been taken. Still was very quiet except for a few barking dogs.

We had a nice breakfast outside soaking in the sun. You know those last moments before having to pack up and leave. Dishes and clean up done time to go. We are headed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We have four nights reserved at Creekside. It took us about 4 and half hours to drive over. The drive went well a few winding roads but, we made it.

We checked in was given some info and, maps on the area. Our site was right behind the pool. The pool was open and was pretty busy. My husband wanted to switch sites has it was kind of loud. Also are bed was right up against the building that the filter was in. We have a rear slide out. I talked him into staying we had a end spot and the site next to us was open. I knew we had plans to be gone most of the days. We ended up really liking this spot and glad we stayed put.

After setting up we started to get hungry. We decided to drive into Gatlinburg for a pizza and to look around. It's about a half hour drive. We drove down the Pigeon Forge attraction area with no desire to do any of it. Alot of it is the same stuff you see in other areas. We found a pizza place with parking for are big fan. The food was ok no complaints staff was friendly. After dinner we drove down the strip and we did not expect to see so many people. This was our first time here. It was a mad house I can only imagine how bad it gets in the summer. Parking was twenty dollars. We only wanted to walk around for a bit, so we passed. We went right back to the campground. The traffic was bad, and the GPS rerouted us and saved us some time and headaches. Once back we took out are bikes and rode around for a bit. It got quiet and the filter noise did not bother us. We watched some Tv and went to bed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robin said:

Today we say goodbye and hello. We noticed that the campground really filled up most of the spots had been taken. Still was very quiet except for a few barking dogs.

We had a nice breakfast outside soaking in the sun. You know those last moments before having to pack up and leave. Dishes and clean up done time to go. We are headed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We have four nights reserved at Creekside. It took us about 4 and half hours to drive over. The drive went well a few winding roads but, we made it.

We checked in was given some info and, maps on the area. Our site was right behind the pool. The pool was open and was pretty busy. My husband wanted to switch sites has it was kind of loud. Also are bed was right up against the building that the filter was in. We have a rear slide out. I talked him into staying we had a end spot and the site next to us was open. I knew we had plans to be gone most of the days. We ended up really liking this spot and glad we stayed put.

After setting up we started to get hungry. We decided to drive into Gatlinburg for a pizza and to look around. It's about a half hour drive. We drove down the Pigeon Forge attraction area with no desire to do any of it. Alot of it is the same stuff you see in other areas. We found a pizza place with parking for are big fan. The food was ok no complaints staff was friendly. After dinner we drove down the strip and we did not expect to see so many people. This was our first time here. It was a mad house I can only imagine how bad it gets in the summer. Parking was twenty dollars. We only wanted to walk around for a bit, so we passed. We went right back to the campground. The traffic was bad, and the GPS rerouted us and saved us some time and headaches. Once back we took out are bikes and rode around for a bit. It got quiet and the filter noise did not bother us. We watched some Tv and went to bed.

I think it's always busy..  We go to Gatlinburg once every 20 years whether we need it or not for that reason....:ROFLMAO-1:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Robin said:

Today we say goodbye and hello. We noticed that the campground really filled up most of the spots had been taken. Still was very quiet except for a few barking dogs.

We had a nice breakfast outside soaking in the sun. You know those last moments before having to pack up and leave. Dishes and clean up done time to go. We are headed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We have four nights reserved at Creekside. It took us about 4 and half hours to drive over. The drive went well a few winding roads but, we made it.

We checked in was given some info and, maps on the area. Our site was right behind the pool. The pool was open and was pretty busy. My husband wanted to switch sites has it was kind of loud. Also are bed was right up against the building that the filter was in. We have a rear slide out. I talked him into staying we had a end spot and the site next to us was open. I knew we had plans to be gone most of the days. We ended up really liking this spot and glad we stayed put.

After setting up we started to get hungry. We decided to drive into Gatlinburg for a pizza and to look around. It's about a half hour drive. We drove down the Pigeon Forge attraction area with no desire to do any of it. Alot of it is the same stuff you see in other areas. We found a pizza place with parking for are big fan. The food was ok no complaints staff was friendly. After dinner we drove down the strip and we did not expect to see so many people. This was our first time here. It was a mad house I can only imagine how bad it gets in the summer. Parking was twenty dollars. We only wanted to walk around for a bit, so we passed. We went right back to the campground. The traffic was bad, and the GPS rerouted us and saved us some time and headaches. Once back we took out are bikes and rode around for a bit. It got quiet and the filter noise did not bother us. We watched some Tv and went to bed.

 

14 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I think it's always busy..  We go to Gatlinburg once every 20 years whether we need it or not for that reason....:ROFLMAO-1:

Yes that whole route from Pigeon Forge through Gatlinburg is a big mess of traffic. When going to Gatlinburg we try to park at one of the city lots and walk or use the trolley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was Sunday. We found a church 5 min away and went after breakfast. Went back to the camper changed grabbed a few snacks and snacks and we are off.

We are going hiking today in the Smokey Mountains. We drove to the visitor center traffic was not bad today. They have a really nice center there. With staff to answer questions about the park and city. We found what trail we wanted to hike and left. It was very beautiful driving around. We stopped once and took some photos of the view. 

It was a little tight driving are big van around and trying to find parking was not fun. We got a workout walking up hill to get to the trail. We found a trail the wasn't too hard and led to a beautiful waterfall. Once we found it, we took a few pictures. There is no swimming allowed but of course there was some that the rules did not apply to, and they were swimming in the bottom of the falls. It was starting to look a little dark and rain had been called for the afternoon. We made are way down and, it started to rain. Not to hard but, I was glad I brought the umbrella. On this trail you follow the same path down that you went up. I felt bad for the folks that had made it halfway when it started to rain. Mant people seemed unprepared for the weather and I'm sure they had gotten pretty wet. Going down the hill back to the van was not easy as you would think.  It was slippery and steep my toes were starting to hurt from being pushed forward in my shoes. The rain had started to slow down once we made it back to the van.  We stopped at a site that showed the reminisce of a farm that a family once lived in. Why do people feel the need to write on the walls of everything? Once down the mountain there is a little store and bathrooms. We walked around here for a bit the rain before leaving the rain had stopped. We really enjoyed are time here.

On the way back to the camper we stopped at the trolly depot. We had some time and wanted to see how the trolly system worked has we would be taking it tomorrow. We found a friendly woman working that seemed really happy we stopped in. She seemed a little bored and explained everything very well. You can by your tickets the night before but, they only take cash and we had none on us. We left and made are way back.

 

 Once back at the camper dinner was started has was some laundry. There was not a change machine, and the office was closed we had to dig around for some quarters. We had dinner, finished laundry, biked around, watched some TV and, called it a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...