Just the two of us

We just returned from a 7-night stay.  Our son is now adulting, so it is now just us. This was the first time in full hook up. We did online check in and got a text at 10:30 that site 1829 was all set for us. We pulled in about an hour later so good timing. Today was Labor Day and it looked like a parade of campers with everyone leaving. The first thing we noticed was all the standing water everywhere. We have never been in September before so not sure if this is normal. Second thing was how quiet it was. We got all set up and took a bike ride to get an activity sheet and birthday button for my hubby. I wanted to check out the wilderness we have never been and had the time. We took the boat over to MK and enjoyed some nice warm sun! We took some photos at MK and then then boat over to the wilderness. It is a very beautiful resort! We decided to take the bus back and one pulled up right away. There was a group that seemed confused about where they were going. It seemed like they did not speak English really well. They did not get on so off we went. In the fastest bus ride ever, we arrived back. We then went to Publix for some groceries. Made dinner and got ready for bed. Traveling always makes you sleepy. We have an early day tomorrow at AK.  

The Fort is generally quiet during the week off-season. We like to plan our trips with an arrival on Sunday to take advantage of the relative quiet. Depending upon whether we plan to spend a day in Savannah we will either check out the following Friday or Saturday parking in the overflow lot for brunch at the Trials End before hitting the road.  

18 hours ago, Military Mouse said:

Sounds like you're having a great time.  We love taking the boats between the resorts.  Did you notice if the trail between Wilderness Lodge and the campground is open yet?

The trail between the resorts is still closed (in fact no longer exists).  However, there are signs of work that was done to repave a trail, but no progress in a long time.

The boats between the resorts are still not running.

Today we are up and excited for AK. We have a quick breakfast and are at the park a little before 8. We are in pretty quick not really any line. This is my husband's favorite park, and he just had a birthday on the way here. To celebrate I booked us the Wild Trek. Check in is at noon so, we have plenty of time. We decide well, I decide that we will save Avatar for last. We walked right on Everest front row. This seemed to be a thing this trip we got front row on most things. Did Dino also a walk on. Went back and watched Kite Tails. This was a nice time to just sit and relax for a bit. Next was Tough to be a Bug movie. We had to wait for the next show, but it was only about 5 min. We then took our time and walked over to the bird show. Next, we walked back over and did the new Nemo show. It was cute. I liked that they shortened it a bit. The park was pretty quiet today it was nice to just take the time to really look around. 

Time for the tour we got checked in and waited about 10 min. Then you are given a locker to put your stuff in. Then you are put in you a harness given a water bottle to keep and explained the rules. There was about 12 of us in the group. We really enjoyed the tour! I was a little worried my husband is not good with heights, and you have to walk two bridges that are high off the ground. He was fine no problems. The tour lasted a little under three hours. They do give you a very light lunch almost a big snack. It did get hot but, they did offer you a cooling towel. 

After the tour we saw the Safari ride had no wait why not ride? Next, we walked the animal trails. We talked about seeing the Lion King show but, decided to skip it and do it next time. All that was left was Avatar area.  My husband got a little dizzy the one time he rode Flight of Passage, so he did not want to ride. The wait said 35 min I can take it or leave it this time I decided to skip it. We did the boat ride the wait was about 15 min. I find this ride very relaxing. This area is so much better when it's dark. We looked around for a bit and decided one last ride before we leave.

Earlier in the day my husband wanted to do Kali. I have never been on this has I do not like to get wet. My son rides this with him I stand and wave to them. This time no son husband really likes this ride. It was the end of the day, and we would be leaving I said I would do it. This was also a walk on. This was a one and done for me. The boat was really spinning, and I got dizzy. Then a huge wave of water hit me right in the face. I hated the whole thing! Never again he is on his own. 

We decided to call in a pizza order at flippers for dinner and pick it up. We made are way out it was 6:00 we were getting hungry. Pizza was done we took it back to the fort. It was not very good. We have had this pizza before and this time it was just ok. We decided to take a walk around and check out some of the decorations. It was still pretty quiet around. 

We called it a day. Tomorrow we can sleep in! 

It felt good to sleep in and relax this morning. We made a big breakfast, did a couple loads of laundry and, enjoyed sitting outside. We had several campers around us but, we hardly saw them. 

We got ready and went to play mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. We had no wait. There was a group in front of us that we did catch up with but, we had the time we didn't mind.

I will give you a hint who one it wasn't my husband. Once we got done, we sat done and talked about what to do next. We decided to go back to the Wilderness and do a open house DVC tour. We wanted to see what the cabins looked like. We made are way over and there was another couple with us for the same reason. The cabins are nice but, for that amount of money we would just rent a house nearby. Of course, the other couple ditched us when we weren't looking. We got stuck listening to the whole sales pitch. We kept telling him we just wanted to look.  I wish we would have made a run for it with the other couple! Once that was over, we made it back to the Fort.

We love camping and would take this over what we saw any day! Of course, it had started to rain. We just sat around for a little while before we had to get ready for dinner. We have 4 o'clock dinner reservations at the Hoop Dee Doo. We love this show and are so happy it is back! It was still a little rainy so, we took the Umbrell's. We decided to walk with the option to take the bus if the rain got heavy. We made it and the rain was not too bad. We got checked in and waited. The rain had just about stopped. The food was good except for the ribs. I did not have any but, my husband said they were tuff. Once again, we had a great time! Once we got out the rain was back. We looked around the settlement for a little while. We walked back to the camper and but a movie on. We talked about going to Disney Springs but decided against it. Just didn't feel like going out there in the rain and dealing with people. We watched the movie and called it a day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today we are up early well early for us. We are going to HS and it's Disney Plus day. We don't have Disney plus and wasn't really sure what this will mean for the day. The CM at parking told us we picked a special day to come Ok we will see. We arrived a little after 8. It was a little confusing. They had a separate line for Disney Plus members who could get in an hour early. Separate lines for staying on property and lines for the public. We found a line got are bands scanned and made it thru security. Once you got thru security it seemed like the separate lines didn't matter anymore. Might of been different if we went earlier. Once in they were handing out buttons and Mickey ears with the Disney Plus Logo. We then made are way over to Slinky Dog I know this always has a long line I wanted to get it done before it got bad. Not sure what the crowds would be like today. We found a 30 min wait not to bad we will wait. There was a father and son behind us the boy was about 5. The dad told us he tried to get a lighting pass and he logged on late at 7:03 and the earliest return time was 2:30 and that would not work for them.  We did not buy any lighting passes or use Genie Plus at all. This dad seemed to really feel bad that he logged on late. Next up Toy Story the wait was 20 min I was the loser.  Next, we got in line for the Saucers this was a mistake. The wait said 30 min but ended up being close to an hour and we got skipped by a special needs guy that just walked all the way thru the line. I didn't see anyone with him, and no one said anything to him. After this it was time for a special cavalcade. They had a bunch of times listed we went to the first one. I wanted to make sure we saw this and the timing was good. We found a spot but, I'm short and couldn't see very well. I left my husband to find a better spot. I found a front row spot open by the frozen theater. I texted my husband he decided to stay. This was cute and had some rare characters in it. Next my failure at getting a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

We decided that we needed a special drink. We walked over to Starbucks hubby picked out his drink. I decided that I good get Starbucks anytime and walked back over to Joffrey's. There was a bit of a wait. I ordered and my drink came right away. I thought that was strange as there was two people waiting in front of me. I took my drink and was on my way back to Starbucks when I took a drink. This drink was yucky it had a weird after taste. I took another drink and same thing. I found my hubby he was relaxing and enjoying his drink. I had him taste it. He said it was ok to him I took another drink I could not drink this. I have had this same drink at Joffrey's before and really liked it. I walked back to Joffrey's and waited in line again. Explained this must be the wrong drink or something was wrong with it. The CM was very friendly and assured me it was right. Would I like something else. I ordered a peach tea. I thanked her grabbed my drink and headed back. I took a drink, and it was so sweet! I again found my hubby relaxing and enjoying his drink which by now was almost gone. I gave him this drink too sweet for me. Now that we are well rested one of us at least on to Rock N Roll. I was going solo on this my hubby can't do it anymore. I did single rider and rode with a young woman this was her first time. She was nervous I calmed her down and she loved the ride! While waiting to get on I saw someone get on with a gallon jug of water that was a little more than half full. I really want to know how they held onto that thing during the ride.

Because of the Disney plus day they had a DJ playing music near the car's attraction. We saw a few kids dancing. There was a five min wait for cars so, we waited. We find this show cute and wish was around when my son was little. We decided to skip tower and headed to the front so, I could get a picture with my man Bo. It was starting to get dark out we headed over to Muppets. Again, we waited about five min before the next show. When we got out of the show it was now starting to sprinkle with what looked and sounded like a storm coming. We made it into the Indiana Jones theater just when it started to come down. Because of the storm there was no show. We waited about a half hour before decided it was not going to stop and let's get going.

Earlier Mickeys Railway was closed we headed over and it was open with a 40 min wait. It was raining we decided to wait. Last time we rode this we missed the pre-show so I was excited to see it. We managed to stay pretty dry jumping from umbrella to umbrella. The wait time was pretty accurate. I like this ride but miss Movie Ride. It was still raining after, so we tucked into One Man's Dream. I never get tired of looking in here. Time for some dinner it was raining but, not to heavy. We walked back over to the Muppet are and ate at Pizza Rizzo's. We sat outside it was getting chilly with the rain and it was freezing inside. We enjoyed dinner but, we did not get pizza. I rode Startours alone my hubby can't handle this.  It was a walk on. Still raining we made it to Galaxy's Edge. We are big into Star Wars and don't know that much about it. We still enjoyed walking around looking at everything. I did the single rider Millennium Falcon. This was a new ride ride for me. I waited about ten min and was given the job of engineer. I think it would have been more fun if I rode with someone. Next, we made it over to Ride of the Resistance. Still lightly raining and I was cold. I did not bring a sweater and was regretting it. This had a 45 min wait. This is such a great ride, and my hubby can ride. Last time we missed a lot of the pre-show not this time. So glad we got to experience the whole thing! 

By now it was a light sprinkle we walked back over to toy story and rode Toy Story Mania three times in a row with no wait! Yes, I lost every time, but I had better accuracy. Of course, the Saucers had no wait at all. Slinky Dog had twenty min. 

I looked in some shops for a sweatshirt but couldn't find anything. Oh well it's almost time to go but first some nighttime shows. We found a good spot in front of theater there wasn't to many waiting more came has the show started but, it was not crowded at all. The rain finally has stopped! The first show highlighted animation the second was movies. I found it strange that they broke this up in two shows with a quick five min break in between.  

We ended the night taking a few pictures of the Tower Hotel and headed out. Friday we can sleep late and relax in the morning.

Disney Plus Day was not that different for us. We still had a good day even with the rain!

Today we got to sleep in and relax a bit. After a nice breakfast we decided to ride are bikes down to the meadows area and do something we have never done before.

We are doing the scavenger hunt. We got the clue paper, and we are off. We are almost done when we decide after running all around the Fort in the hot sun, we needed a break. We ride back to the camper and have a bowl of ice cream. After we are rested, we head back out to finish, and claim our prize. We had a ton of fun doing this and only got one wrong. We did wonder why there was a question about the boat parade so, it made it difficult to finish in one day. We did cheat on this one but, only after running all over trying to find the answer without seeing the parade. While we are down here, we decide to play some shuffleboard. In the middle of the game, it starts to thunder. I really wanted to hit the pool after playing guess that will not happen. It is starting to get dark, so we hurry to end the game. After a close game I was the biggest loser. We quickly turn in the equipment and race back. It starts to pour just has we are getting back. We just made it. 

We sit around for a while, and I make dinner yes, I said dinner. We have big plans tonight and don't want to waste time sitting down to eat. We eat dinner well really more a late lunch and get ready to leave. It is still raining when we leave. Will the rain stop or go on all night?

• 2 weeks later...

We like to drive and not rely on Disney transportation. We park and get on the ferry. We are going to MNSSHP this is a first for us. It is still raining not to hard I did use the umbrella. We made it in with a short wait. We are ushered in and to the right given a bag and some candy. I wanted to do COP but it was closed for the party. People mover had a huge line as did Buzz. This area is packed we decided to wait and see the Laugh Floor. We really like this show we waited about ten min till the next show. We ride It's a small world with no wait. We headed over to The Hall of Presidents. It has been a while since we have viewed this. We had some time before the show to look around. When we got out it had stopped raining! We rode Big Thunder with a short wait. Skipped splash did not feel like being wet all night. Walked back to check on the people mover line. This area was way busier than before. We quickly left. We than went over to wait for the Cadaver Dan show. We chatted with some cast members while waiting. The show was cute we liked it. We went to our first treat spot and got some candy. We then headed over to Haunted Mansion. We really liked the live actor outside. Made are way over to Pirates we waited about 30 min. Again, really liked the live actors. Got some more candy and rode Jungle Cruise. Waited not to long about 20 min. This was the best Skipper we have ever had. She had a great personality and really got into the part. After the ride I told her how much we enjoyed her. We got more candy and decided to try people mover again. Sucess this area had finally slowed down. We did get stopped several times and once was about ten min in the tunnel with nothing to look at. After we rode buzz and went back into Laugh Floor they were handing out candy and you could sit down and watch a little live show. We stayed about ten min. We skipped Space Mountain and got in line and out of line for the speedway. I wanted to see the fireworks and decided we did not have enough time.

We found a good spot Infront of the castle with about thousand other people. Not really but it felt like it. The fireworks show was really good we enjoyed it. The castle show was next we waited and waited and waited then the dreaded delay for difficulties. We wait some more. Just has we turn to leave it starts. And it is over in about five min. They shortened the show. That was a disappointment. We then find a spot for the parade. This did not disappoint the parade was fantastic! We get some more candy. It was then time to sit down and get a treat. We got the ice cream cookie and I got Starbucks that I missed out on the other day. 

Up next finale thoughts on the party.

After we are done enjoying are treats, we have time for one more ride. Of course, it's the mine train. I was waiting for the end of the night because the shortest wait we saw all night was 40 min. My husband wanted to jump in line, then but I stopped him. The wait now was ten min. In no time we were on and off. At the exit the CM said you have time for one more if you want. If I want like I would say no. We ran around and walked right back on. Not the last car there was one more after us. Now the clock is striking midnight. The last time I saw this was New Year's Eve. Time sure does fly! We made are way out. All the shops were closed I heard several complaints about this. I was a little surprised by this myself. I guess they have to get ready for the next day and the poor CMS want to go home. 

On the way out they were handing out a special Halloween poster. I thought that was a nice touch. We are not candy people but had fun handing the candy back out to the cast members working. They all seemed surprised and happy with the treat. We felt good seeing them smile. I bet not a lot of people hand out their candy. I wish they would hand out something besides candy and more of a variety every stop had the same kinds. If you like candy, you could really fill up. We were so happy that the rain stopped, and we could really enjoy the night. We did not dress up but saw a lot of people who did. Very creative costumes out there!

Would we go again? Maybe but not for a while. Was it worth it? Yes, we thought so. Considering you could get in at 4. We did not take the time to stand in line to meet characters. It was fun to see them dressed up though. Maybe if we had another day for MK but, we wanted to do rides since this was our one chance. They did have some cute photo props that we did not do. Again, did not feel like waiting in line. Maybe if we dressed up it could be fun?

We have been to the Christmas party once and we both said we did like that better. We are not huge Halloween people so maybe that would make a difference?

Time for bed we are both tired and it is way past bedtime for us. Tomorow, we get to sleep in. What will we do? I know we have no parks scheduled. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a good night's sleep, we start to get moving for the day. We have a nice breakfast and a nice chat with a couple who stopped when they saw where we were from. We back a few snacks and drinks in a cooler and head out. It is a nice hot sunny day. Today we are going somewhere new Disney's Wildlife Preserve. It was a little bit of a drive, but it was nice to see a different part of Florida. Once we arrive, we see a sign telling us that the trails are wet. There were some other cars in the parking lot, so we decided to try it. We get a map and start walking. The more we walked the wetter it got. We had to give up it got more than wet. We turned around and walked back. We found some rocking chairs under a nice, shaded cover. And just enjoyed looking at nature and relaxing. Unfortunately, we also had another first those dang love bugs. I had heard about them, but we always missed them. They got to annoying and it was now looking like rain. While I was cleaning off my muddy shoes my husband had a nice chat with a very friendly ranger. This is some place we will diffidently try to come back another time.

What next? I had heard about some antique shops that sell Disney stuff I talk my husband into finding them. It was really looking dark when we found the first shop. The van was covered in those dang bugs. We looked around for a bit it was really busy but did not buy anything. While driving to the other shop it really started to pour. We found the other shop this one was huge! We spent a couple of hours looking around and again did not buy anything. It was fun just looking around! 

Next, we found a church that was having a service soon it was only 5 min away.  After church we were getting hungry. We stopped by a Moe's that was right by the church. We enjoy the food there and there was no wait. I was itching to get back to the fort. The rain had stopped.    

We made it back to the fort and I jumped into my swimsuit. This is probably my last chance to get into the pool. My husband really doesn't like the water and decided a pool chair was calling to him. We decided to bike down to the quiet pool. When we got there, we noticed it was empty not a single soul. At first, I thought it was closed. We parked and the gate opened! I had the whole pool to myself that was a first. After a bit a CM came in, I thought he was going to kick us out no just checking the water. After swimming for a bit, I decided to relax in the hot tub. Pushed the button for the jets and got in. Nothing happened I got out and pushed the button and got back in nothing happened. I talked my husband out of his chair to try it and nothing happened. I was sitting there when the Cm came out. I explained what happened he said he knew, and it was broken. I admit I was a little ticked I was looking forward to this all day. Why was there no sign? 

I got out and we biked back to the site. I changed and we are going down to see the fireworks and boat parade. It was starting to rain lightly we decided to walk and leave the bikes. It was a little crowded when we got down there and all the chairs were taken. I'm so glad the beach is back it felt weird being on the other side. I have so many memories of my son when he was little playing in the sand here. Now he is all grown up and it is just the two of us. The rain had pretty much stopped just in time. We made are way back and time for bed tomorrow is the last full day. I have a park day planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is our last full day. Time goes by so fast when you don't want it to. We have a quick breakfast and arrive at Epcot. The first thing was to head all the way in the back for Remy's. This was a new ride for us, and I knew the line would build throughout the day. This was a cute ride and we both liked it the wait was about 45 min. Now we backed tracked and headed to the front. Along the way my husband saw several things he wanted to try at the booths. Of course, when the time came, we could not remember what they were. we rode Soarin and the Land. Then Nemo we looked around for a bit and waited for the next crush show. It has been a while seeing this and we always enjoy it. Next up was the new to us club cool. I'm so glad this is back it is always fun. Looked around the gift shop again nothing stood out. We talked about Spaceship Earth but decided to wait till later. We skipped Mission to Space my husband can't handle this ride and I did not want to ride alone. I had wanted to try the new space restaurant I could not get a reservation those went quick. I thought about trying walk up, but we never did. Something for next time. We did ride Test Track and so glad the make your own car thing is back. We waited about an hour for this. We headed into Mexico and did the ride it's always packed in there, so we left and didn't bother to look around.

Next, it's time to eat so many choices.   

• 2 weeks later...

So many choices where to start? We picked up a passport and paged through it. I knew we wanted to do the cheese challenge. How could we not we are cheeseheads after all.  First stop was the alps. My husband got warm raclette cheese. We also got two stamps instead of one from a nice CM. With cheese in hands, we kept moving.  My husband really enjoyed this but, to be honest the smell of the cheese was turning my stomach. We found a table in America while he ate, I walked around. Next, we spent some time in Morocco looking around. I had heard rave reviews about the cheese bread in Brazil, so we headed there. I liked it. I did think it needed some kind of dipping sauce. We made the way over to Canada and watched a band for a bit. I decided to try the soup. This was a first time for me. I always heard about it but always thought it's soup how good it be. I was so wrong I loved this so much! I did give my husband a small taste before I inhaled the rest. Now we are getting thirsty and a little hot. We found our way over to Earth Eats and got strawberry freeze. We both enjoyed this, and it was perfect on a hot day!  Hubby was looking through the book ant found Pork Shoulder wraps at The Swanky Saucy Swine. Another hit he loved this. Now it was almost time for Guardians. We managed to get a reservation when they came out for the second time. We both were nervous about riding. Neither one of us wanted to get sick. I had heard all the horror stories. I asked the CM at the front what we could do to avoid this. She was very helpful. Ride in the 5th or 6th row and try not to look around too much. As we got closer to entering the ride room my husband dropped out. He doesn't do good these days with rides and did not want to chance it. To be honest the whole preshow is a blur we spent so much time talking about if my husband should ride and my nerves about riding myself, I didn't really pay attention. When my turn came up the CM put me in row two. I just stood there I said I don't want that row he knew right away and said row 5? Yes please. Not a problem just wait a min. Ok dodged that bullet. Before I knew it row five it was. With a nice man whose wife bailed on him. I survived and did like the ride. I was dizzy for a second when I stood up. I think next time I will enjoy it more now that I know what to expect. We made it back to club cool. I needed some Sprite from Russia to calm me. I also saw a shirt I liked and wanted a second look. I put it on over my clothes and it did not look good on me, so I passed. We headed back to Earth Eats and got the slider minus the sauce and the meatball. The meatball ended up being my husband's favorite thing at the festival. This really surprised both of us. We need one more cheese dish to complete the challenge. But first we need to meet Mickey. We headed over to the Imagination section to the Visa meet. There were a few groups in front of us. I miss the days when you got an actual photo for free. We had a great time with Mickey and Goofy.

Now more food. Good thing we are doing a lot of walking today. We should have had a better plan we are all over the place. We headed back by test track and got the Smoked Corned Beef at Flavors of fire. Now with are stamp page completed time to get our prize. It was a cup of Strawberry cheesecake ice cream. It was so good! I ended keeping the cute plastic cup it came in. We made our way back to America to watch the show. We had some time before the next show we looked around. We had never really looked around in here before. Something that kids don't like to do. This was a positive thing now that it was just the two of us. After the show we stopped near the stage and watched the band. We were not familiar with them but, they sounded good. I wanted to see the firework show as it was new to us. We made are around looking for a spot. It was really filling up. We stopped at Canada because my husband wanted to try the Maple Cheesecake. We decided to just stay there. As he enjoyed his dessert and saved the spot. I walked around. I bought a bottle of coke with the Epcot design. Which is sitting on my shelf right now unopened. I decided to surprise my husband with another Cheesecake from Canada. He enjoyed it so much and we are on vacation. He was not upset at all by this.

Will we like the show?

We thought the show was just ok. We didn't love it or was wowed by it but, was not bad. We had a side view of the barges the front view was full when we were looking for a spot. We both agreed we would not wait for it again. Now I did hear that this show is going to be replaced and I guess we are not alone in our opinion. I hope they take out those barges I don't like looking at them during the day. 

The park is now closed we made our way out. I'm not sure when I will be able to convince my husband to come back, so I took my dear sweet time. We stooped to take a bunch of photos of Spaceship Earth. It was very pretty at night with the lights. We are now exhausted it was full day. The walk back to the van seemed to take forever. We made it back to the Fort for the last time. We were asleep in no time. Tomorrow is pack up and leave day.

Time to leave. We have breakfast with what we have left over. Clean up and start packing up. We really don't have time for a bike ride, but I talk my husband into it. We have a long drive a head of us I want to get as much movement as possible. We just ride down to Meadows once last time. I make a quick look around the gift shop. There was one thing I saw and have been thinking about getting it. Of course, it's only at the Settlement gift shop. We make our way back and put the bikes away. How does the time go by so fast at checkout day? We hook up and pull out. My husband drops me off by the Settlement so I can make a quick stop in the gift shop. I did have to wait a few minutes for them to open. I find what I wanted I have them wrap it really good. It's a tall ceramic candle holder with cutout Mickey's. I currently have it in my kitchen and I'm using it for utensils. I meet back up with my husband who is enjoying the last of the ice cream we had left. 

We are pulling out at almost the exact same time we pulled in a week ago. I was a little jealous of the campers pulling in. We had a really good time! We had an uneventful ride home. 

Thanks for reading along!