Wheelchair Tips/Park Touring with Fatigue

Hey, y'all! It's been quite some time since I've been to Fort Fiends! I recognize a few old faces and quite a few new ones. 😊

A LOT has changed with our family since I was last here! My kiddos have certainly gotten older - my oldest is 15 & my youngest is 11. Thanks to a chronic illness (myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome - me/cfs), my mobility has drastically diminished. When it comes to things like theme parks or getting around campgrounds, I'm in an electric wheelchair. I did intentionally purchase one that can operate in rain and go over a variety of terrain. 

We'd love to get back to Disney at least once before my oldest graduates and moves on to bigger and better things. 😉 

I've got a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone dealt with severe chronic fatigue while touring Disney?

It doesn't have to be me/cfs; if could be chronic fatigue from any illness. Any tips and tricks other than staying on-site? Ideally, we'd be at FtW, but I know it's possible that we would be at a different Disney resort due to not wanting to pull our camper down there. Obviously we won't be going commando anymore. I guess my main concern is what to do if fatigue hits before I can make it out of the park, because sometimes it just does happen that quickly. Any of you have a favorite shaded/quiet area to limit outside stimuli (light and sounds can occasionally be an issue, in addition to just wanting a spot to take a break for about 20-30 minutes. My chair does have elevating leg rests and a head rest, but it does not recline. 

2) How easy is maneuvering around a crowded park?

I guess this may not be as big of a deal since we're going to need to go slower, but I'm still not comfortable around large crowds and tighter spaces. In particular, I'm thinking places like Main Street, the trading posts, shops down Main Street, restaurants, etc. My chair has a really good turning radius, and I know that I just need to get more comfortable with it, which I'm working on. 

Other than POTC, can you think of any ride where being in a wheelchair is more complicated? I can transfer if need be, and I can no longer ride thrill rides. I'd love to be able to go on TTA, but I have no idea how that would work. 

3) DAS

I know that I don't need it just because I'll be in a wheelchair, but I do have a few other comorbidities that would make it beneficial, if not necessary. Is it easier to apply remotely, or is it easier on-site?

TIA! ❤️ 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...