Kennel Cough Vaccines-Do It Yourself

so, Drs Foster and Smith is located in Wisconsin. It is a pet supply company. I was on their website and found the kennel cough vaccine. You don't need a Rx from the vet to order it. I run a Bichon Bash that we have about 60 Bichons come to our house and raise money for Rescue. So, I like to have my dogs protected. The vaccine was $2.99 for each individual dose. Wisconsin s/h was only $5.99.

They do charge more for out of state s/h. It needs to be sent overnight or something like that.

But, the last time I got the vaccine for the dogs at the vet each dog was $45 (I don't believe there was a charge for office visit). This is a nasal vaccine-no shots. You can order larger doses but, I wanted to make sure I was giving them the correct amount so, I did the single dose. The package was here in 2 days and had a couple ice packs on it. There were 2 bottles for each dose. You just mixed the liquid with the powder, shake it up and squirt it in their nose.

The hardest part was holding their heads still. :parrot: yeah, they kind of looked like this. lol

I know if you board your dogs they need this. I am not sure if they will accept a rcpt to show for proof but, it may save you some money. Check them out at: Drs foster and smith

I will do this again next year. My total was $19 vs the vet at $180.

so, Drs Foster and Smith is located in Wisconsin. It is a pet supply company. I was on their website and found the kennel cough vaccine. You don't need a Rx from the vet to order it. I run a Bichon Bash that we have about 60 Bichons come to our house and raise money for Rescue. So, I like to have my dogs protected. The vaccine was $2.99 for each individual dose. Wisconsin s/h was only $5.99.

They do charge more for out of state s/h. It needs to be sent overnight or something like that.

But, the last time I got the vaccine for the dogs at the vet each dog was $45 (I don't believe there was a charge for office visit). This is a nasal vaccine-no shots. You can order larger doses but, I wanted to make sure I was giving them the correct amount so, I did the single dose. The package was here in 2 days and had a couple ice packs on it. There were 2 bottles for each dose. You just mixed the liquid with the powder, shake it up and squirt it in their nose.

The hardest part was holding their heads still. :parrot: yeah, they kind of looked like this. lol

I know if you board your dogs they need this. I am not sure if they will accept a rcpt to show for proof but, it may save you some money. Check them out at: Drs foster and smith

I will do this again next year. My total was $19 vs the vet at $180.

I don't kennel my dogs but this is good info. Thanks :banana:

This is good info! Last year I thought my dogs were safe from kennel cough and I took in a foster that had kennel cough some of my guy's got the cough and others didn't. Good info. My vet told me that even if they are vacinated there are so many different strands of kennel cough that the vac. doesn't work on all strain of it. So I would much rather buy it and do it myself then pay the $180.00. Thanks!

a rcpt is what i am thinking... you would definitely have to ask. my dogs aren't boarded either. but, because once a year we have all these dogs come to the bash, i like to know they are protected.

plus, with traveling in the mh--we do stop at rest areas where other dogs/animals roam and you never know what they may have carried into the area. we also take them to pet stores and to campgrounds. you just never know where they could pick something up.

last year the boys got fleas. we had no idea how. until we thought about the rabbits coming into our yard. hopefully, i saved someone a few bucks... :)

i talked to the lady at my vets office. she said that my vet will sell me the kc vaccine to do myself. it would be about $8 each. the vet will also sign something saying that the dog is vaccinated. she said that if you order it through drs f/s he will sign something saying that the vaccine was given.

i would ask your vet if they will sell the vaccine to you to administer yourself (esp if the dog doesn't need to go in for anything else). she also said that you can do dhllp yourself. just thought i would share.