Large dogs in the heat at Fort Wilderness

Was wondering if there is anyone that takes along their large dogs on vacation. We have a 14month old St Bernard (110lbs) who would love to come with us but we don't know if we should! To board him here would cost a fortune and he would be so far away. I know they have kennels at Fort Wilderness but, are they big enough for him or should we consider keeping him in the motorhome while we are at the parks. We would love to hear from anyone with large K9s and how they do it.

Also what about the heat for a large hairy dog like a Saint. Are the kennels there air conditioned?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Our dogs aren't quite so large - but 2 of them are very hairy and all of them are very sensitive to the heat.

We always leave them in the TT with the a/c on, but taking them out for walks/runs at the dog park is a little tricky.

We have to be super careful no one overheats - and being crazy border collies, they'll run until they drop!

At the dog park we always splash out the watering stations so that fresh, cooler water fills them.  We watch how much they're panting and stop the fun before it gets out of hand.  If it's super hot we hose them off before we leave.  And then they get the "cool down" lap on the golf cart - which they love.

Although I'm pretty sure anyone close behind us doesn't appreciate the flying spit.  :(

We travel with a Great Dane(145lbs) and a ACD Blue Heeler, so we have one big one and one hairy one.  We leave our dogs in the TT for park days.  We go for rope drop and at least one of us comes back at lunch to walk & feed the dogs.  That person also waits an hour before returning to the bark (Dane's can bloat after feeding).

We leave the furnace, the fan or the A/C going depending on the temps outside.  Keeping in mind our heeler is almost 11 years and the dane doesn't have much energy at all.... so they mostly sleep until we come back and take them to the dog park....

As far as the Kennel (there is only one on property now, the Best Friends kennel which is right around the corner from FW on Bonnet Creek Parkway), they can accomodate large dogs.  It is a bit pricey, not so much if you are just interested in basic accomodations for a day guest, but size is no option for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ram-

Not sure if we ever got to meet in person... but we used to bring our 2 Newfies to the Fort with us every trip  :dance:

We started out boarding the older one at the kennels when she was a puppy, but as she got bigger, I felt that she was able to behave in the camper while we were out, even if just at the pool since we were only in a PUP. I always made sure that the AC was on full blast for her, and in the warmer weather we also added fans to help circulate the air around too. I usually put the TV on in front of her crate so she wouldn't get upset by the outside noises.

When we got "home" she got to go to the dog park for a run, by golf cart of course... which she totally loved riding on as long as we were no where near the front stables or kennel  :rofl2:

She loved staying in the camper everywhere we went as did her little sister once she came along. So as long as you Saint can handle the ride down- I say go for it  :dance:

Let the Big Dogs have some fun!!!  :dance: (Just don't let them drive the golf carts)