I understand the appeal of towing doubles behind a 5er but I frankly never thought it was a good idea. I have heard it argued that the fifth wheel needs to be designed and built with this in mind, today I saw evidence of exactly that. While picking up a truck at the brake and frame shop that does all our heavy work, the owner (who knows me well) told me to check out back before I left. he said he had a fifth wheel that had a bent frame and the axles had shifted to one side. I walked out back and saw a 5 y/o forest river with the wheels on one side about 10 inches outboard of where they belonged. Both axles had shifted to the right and the frame was bent on both side right at the spring perch mounts. There is no way this trailer will ever go down the road properly again, I cant see anyone being able to straighten this frame. I walked around back and saw a 2" receiver welded to the back of the frame and an extension with lights mounted on it. My guess would be that the trailer was turned with a load on the receiver and instead of the one axle scrubbing to make the corner, the weight held it in place and the frame gave as a result of the stress. Looks like a very expensive lesson for one unhappy camper.

Where is Larry when you need him ......