One last picture of Kassie.  She died yesterday morning.  Through the years we've had lots of dogs   But she was absolutely the best -- so loving, so perceptive, so much personality.  She loved to go camping and riding around in the golf cart.  We miss her so much but have many wonderful memories.  Going to WDW this fall just won't be the same without her.

Here she is on our way to WDW last fall.  She was mad at me because I wouldn't let her sit in my lap.  

13501670_10210070642508484_7288016358567

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was Zeus's (4 yr old schnoodle) favorite view of the Fort. He would sit on top of the couch, with his favorite stuffed squirrel under his chin, keeping watch from lot 1616.:)

This is my latest pup, Banzai, a Miniature Australian Shepard at 5 1/2 Months.  We got him in October.  

This is the TCD dog, Rocky. He is the third boxer we have owned, and the only one out of the three who enjoys swimming. I snapped this photo during a recent visit to Honeymoon Island State Park: TCD

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Gwen I am so sorry for your loss. She brought so much joy to your lives and I know you will miss her. Thinking of you and David today.

Thank you, Ivy.  Right now we're just wondering how we can bear to go the Fort without her.  75 days until we leave.  Hopefully we can get past this enough to enjoy our trip.

54 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thank you, Ivy.  Right now we're just wondering how we can bear to go the Fort without her.  75 days until we leave.  Hopefully we can get past this enough to enjoy our trip.

I hope so too, praying God will send you comfort.

We went out of town again today ... and again a relief to get away from the house and our memories.

David told me today he never wants another pet ... it's just too hard to let them go.  And I agree.  Plus, my arthritis is so bad that I can't get down the stairs to take one out.

• 2 months later...

Last night Sushi started to have this really bad hacking cough and her breathing became rapid. Knowing she has a heart murmur I started to fear the worst. We didn't really sleep well through the night due to worrying about her. Both my wife and I weren't able to take off from work today but I went in late to keep an eye on her and I set up a vet appointment for 6:30 for her and Minnie. I got home at 5 and when I opened the door I knew something was amiss. I didn't hear her barking with the other dogs. I immediately went to her kennel and saw her just lying there. She had died not too long before I got home. Despite her unusual appearance she was cute to us. We only had her for less then 2 years but she made an everlasting imprint on our lives. She had a clownish personality despite her diminished vision and hearing. She loved to cuddle with us and she was very jealous of Vali coming near us. It was comical to watch a half blind dog chase after a cat. She loved the camper to. I would take her and Minnie out to the camper about twice a week to just chill in it for a few minutes.  I hope we made the last 20 months of her life much better then what she had before. I hope she didn't suffer long today before she passed on.

ab66289d816fdcfb2b5981b624ab1b50.jpg

Her sudden passing is really taking a toll on my wife due to the timing. Just a few days over a year ago she lost Belle and Facebook keeps on popping up memories to drive that dagger in and just last Thursday her younger brother died just 20 minutes after calling her. and we have some of her family staying here starting tomorrow for his funeral this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, bhall said:

Last night Sushi started to have this really bad hacking cough and her breathing became rapid. Knowing she has a heart murmur I started to fear the worst. We didn't really sleep well through the night due to worrying about her. Both my wife and I weren't able to take off from work today but I went in late to keep an eye on her and I set up a vet appointment for 6:30 for her and Minnie. I got home at 5 and when I opened the door I knew something was amiss. I didn't hear her barking with the other dogs. I immediately went to her kennel and saw her just lying there. She had died not too long before I got home. Despite her unusual appearance she was cute to us. We only had her for less then 2 years but she made an everlasting imprint on our lives. She had a clownish personality despite her diminished vision and hearing. She loved to cuddle with us and she was very jealous of Vali coming near us. It was comical to watch a half blind dog chase after a cat. She loved the camper to. I would take her and Minnie out to the camper about twice a week to just chill in it for a few minutes.  I hope we made the last 20 months of her life much better then what she had before. I hope she didn't suffer long today before she passed on.

ab66289d816fdcfb2b5981b624ab1b50.jpg

Her sudden passing is really taking a toll on my wife due to the timing. Just a few days over a year ago she lost Belle and Facebook keeps on popping up memories to drive that dagger in and just last Thursday her younger brother died just 20 minutes after calling her. and we have some of her family staying here starting tomorrow for his funeral this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tell she was loved by the photo, Sushi is wearing a comfortable harness, her hair is combed and she has bling hanging on her collar.

It's so hard to loose them. My Lacey had high blood pressure that caused her to cough.  For what it's worth, when her time to pass came, she laid at my feet and coughed a few times, her heart kept beating, she stopped breathing and then her heart stopped.  She didn't gasp or struggle.  Your Sushi was in her kennel, her safe place, she probably went to sleep peacefully.

I'm sorry for all the loses in your family, so hard.

9 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

You can tell she was loved by the photo, Sushi is wearing a comfortable harness, her hair is combed and she has bling hanging on her collar.

It's so hard to loose them. My Lacey had high blood pressure that caused her to cough.  For what it's worth, when her time to pass came, she laid at my feet and coughed a few times, her heart kept beating, she stopped breathing and then her heart stopped.  She didn't gasp or struggle.  Your Sushi was in her kennel, her safe place, she probably went to sleep peacefully.

I'm sorry for all the loses in your family, so hard.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I don't think she was sleeping when she passed as her eyes weren't closed :(.  but she was lying in her normal position while in her kennel. Of the four dogs, she was by a slight margin my favorite over Minnie and I think my wife's favorite since the passing of Belle.  She really knew how to fill in the gap after both Wrigley's and Belle's passing last year.  Last night and tonight have been weird without her at my wife's bedtime.  Every night she would do this weird rubbing/flopping around/dancing moves for a few minutes before my wife could climb in bed.  My wife called it Psycho Sushi time.  I really regret that I never filmed it.  The other dogs would just stand  there and watch the spectacle each night until she decided she was done.  Here is a video of other Chinese Crested dogs doing a similar thing.  She did what both of these did, but much faster.  It never got old to watch her every night.  That probably didn't help her  heart condition.

Thinking about this made me think if other Chinese Crested dogs did the same thing and it seems they do.

Here is a shot I found of both Minnie and Sushi making it hard for me to work :)

8f74dbacd8e29d91bd6f89c6eb2b4bf5.jpg

On 9/29/2016 at 1:44 AM, bhall said:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  I don't think she was sleeping when she passed as her eyes weren't closed :(.  but she was lying in her normal position while in her kennel. Of the four dogs, she was by a slight margin my favorite over Minnie and I think my wife's favorite since the passing of Belle.  She really knew how to fill in the gap after both Wrigley's and Belle's passing last year.  Last night and tonight have been weird without her at my wife's bedtime.  Every night she would do this weird rubbing/flopping around/dancing moves for a few minutes before my wife could climb in bed.  My wife called it Psycho Sushi time.  I really regret that I never filmed it.  The other dogs would just stand  there and watch the spectacle each night until she decided she was done.  Here is a video of other Chinese Crested dogs doing a similar thing.  She did what both of these did, but much faster.  It never got old to watch her every night.  That probably didn't help her  heart condition.

Thinking about this made me think if other Chinese Crested dogs did the same thing and it seems they do.

Here is a shot I found of both Minnie and Sushi making it hard for me to work :)

8f74dbacd8e29d91bd6f89c6eb2b4bf5.jpg

Just because her eyes weren't closed doesn't mean she wasn't sleeping when she passed.  When I had to put my fur baby down, my vet let me know that animals don't/can't close their eyes in death and they are just open.  I even tried to close them after my fur baby passed and they just wouldn't stay closed.  I was glad she warned me because it would have startled me if I hadn't known.  I know you loved Sushi very much and I know she went to sleep peacefully.