Port Orleans Riverside

OK, so I don't have anything to compare. We've been to The World twice with the kids. We live too far away to make a camping trip feasible, and my wife is more of a hotel person, so this worked well both times. There are 5 of us, so a lot of the resorts are not available, unless we want to get 2 rooms.

One section of POR has rooms that will sleep 5, and is less expensive than 2 rooms or a suite at Pop Century. I love the landscaping, though the winding pathways and indirect routes are a PITA when you're just trying to get somewhere. The rooms are "roomy" enough that we don't feel too crowded, and there is a pool just about everywhere you turn. The boat ride to Downtown Disney was kind of fun.

The only big drawback was the distance to MK. POR is next to EPCOT, which makes it kind of a long bus ride to MK. However, it's pretty close to everything else.

I'd still rather be in the camper at the Fort, but if I can't be there, this is a pretty good spot.

The only big drawback was the distance to MK. POR is next to EPCOT, which makes it kind of a long bus ride to MK.

POR to MK is no more than 10 minutes, less than 5 miles.

It's not the miles, it's the traffic and the number of stops. MK was the longest ride of them all, with AK a close second. (EPCOT and DHS are right across the street, so they don't count.

I was impressed both trips with the way the busses handled things. There might have been once each trip where we waited more than 10 minutes for a bus, and that included leaving the parks after EMH. On the first trip we even had a bus driver go out of his way to help us. We were at the Boardwalk, and the busses had stopped running there for the evening. We didn't know enough to be able to adapt, and there was nobody around, so we were stuck. A driver who was about to pull out and head for the barn saw us standing there, asked what the problem was, then drove us back to POR when he should have been going off duty.

Oh boy. Much as I love Disney...this was not one of my favorite resorts. From what I could see when we spent all of one night there (because we checked out the very next morning)...the Aligator Bayou section of the resort is clean, newly refrubished, and has an over all nicer feel to it. The "Mansions"..were what my son called government housing. Believe me when I say..that was in insult to government housing.  The room we had was in dire need of refurbishment, and was DISGUSTINGLY dirty. Mold in the bathroom, dead bugs..squashed on the ceiling in the bathroom. Tooth past ground into the tile on the floor, along with "hair", the BEDSPREAD had grafiti written on the underside of it, (you saw it when you turned down the bed.)

It was obvious this room hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time. It also is an indication that they sure as heck don't change out the bedspreads too often. Soda stains on the carpet and drip marks still on the walls. I have never seen anything like it...ANYWHERE. Let alone in a Disney resort. We originally requested an Alligator Bayou room, but because we weren't five for that trip..we were given the Mansion area. (sorry, don't remember the exact title they are referenced by) We spoke with a manager, who seemed totally and completely overwhelmed. Although apologetic. We were not charged the one night we stayed and transferred the following morning to the WL.  The manager was not able to offer us a room in Aligator Bayou, or we might have stayed as that area looked pretty nice, and we did lke the food court the resort offered. Beyond that...until I hear they've done a renovation of the mansion area, I'd stay clear away from this resort. As if you aren't a family of 5, you have a 50/50 shot of getting a room there.

Our favorite moderate resort to date has been the Caribbean Beach Resort.  While we haven't stayed there in quite a while, we love the food court there. We will eat there even when staying at other resorts. The themed pool was renovated to add two slides, and they have a hot tub area now as well. Looked very nice.

moldy shower head

momsphotos245.jpg

squashed dead bugs on bathroom ceiling

momsphotos238.jpg

bathroom floor

momsphotos243.jpg

dirt on floor in room

momsphotos234.jpg

Bed cover

momsphotos246-1.jpg

There are more, but you get the idea. This wasn't just an instance where mousekeeping didn't do a great job. These were things that haven't been cleaned in a LONG time.  Really turned me off to the resort.

Also this particular area of the resort had very loud compressors outside the rooms. I don't know if they were for the a/c's or what. The Aligator Bayou section didn't have those outside the rooms, and the area appeared freshly painted and refurbished.

We like the location of POR.  You can walk between there and POFQ.  If you say at POR, you're allowed to pool hop to POFQ too!

The boat ride to DD is fun!  And their food court is pretty good too (better than the Value Resort foodcourts, IMO)

But, remember the only reason that the rooms sleep 5, is because of a tiny trundle bed that slides under the other bed.  It's only for kids under 9 years old, because it's so small.

Never stayed there but yes I agree the food court is pretty good.  Some times we drive over from the Fort to eat there.  Boatrights is a very good place to eat also.....

We've enjoyed the food court. I want to try Boatright's, but the rest of the family isn't such a fan of cajun-type cooking, so I haven't tried it.

It's not the miles, it's the traffic and the number of stops.

I'm a little surprised about the traffic comment. I don't find it to be an issue from PO to MK.

There might have been once each trip where we waited more than 10 minutes for a bus

You were lucky as twenty minutes is the goal.

On the first trip we even had a bus driver go out of his way to help us.

Disney expects and requires that drivers go above and beyond when they can. If he hadn't offered and was reported, he'd be talked to.

If he was the BW floater bus, he was just doing his job, take you to your resort. WDW Transportation tries to take care of stragglers.

If he told you he was heading to the barn, it was a line. There is no barn. Last shift drivers drop the bus off for washing & cleaning and another driver takes that same bus to the park that will have it the next morning.

Drivers are usually given more than enough time to do what they have to at the end of the shift and if they go over, they're paid for it.

For anyone interested, listed below are the approx. bus travel times from the PO bus exit to park entrances.

PO/MK 11mins

PO/Epcot 8 mins

PO/DHS 10 mins.

I want to try Boatright's, but the rest of the family isn't such a fan of cajun-type cooking, so I haven't tried it.

I'll go with you!  I LOVE cajun food.

If you let me come, 40% off the tab.

Sounds good!

Anybody with 40% off is always welcome at my table.  :)

• 2 months later...

We stayed in the French Quarter for one night before our Disney Cruise in November 2009.  Nothing remarkably wrong with the room that I recall, and the food seemed OK.  I was just in the mood to get to EPCOT for our one and only park day, so I don't remember much.  Was a great time while we were there!

Never stayed there but yes I agree the food court is pretty good.  Some times we drive over from the Fort to eat there.  Boatrights is a very good place to eat also.....

We've enjoyed the food court. I want to try Boatright's, but the rest of the family isn't such a fan of cajun-type cooking, so I haven't tried it.

I had crawfish with all the fixens and a steak the last time we were there.My wife had some kind of chicken platter and loved it. Our drinks were never bolow half when they were refilled and people were always making sure you didnt need anything. I didnt feel bad about leaving a large and deserved tip.