We have always stayed in the cabins at FW but are now looking into buying a new or used travel trailer. We would like something that sleeps 10 or more and has an outside kitchen. We will be towing it with a 2009 Chevy Express. We have seen a few models online that we love, but know nothing about RV's and are looking for guidance. We would like to stay under $25,000 but may be willing to go up just a little. Any suggestions? We are a family of soon to be 9. Me, DH, DS 13, DS 11, DS 8, DS 5, DS 3, and DD 1. Baby #7 due in December.

You'll probably be able to do it, but you do have some homework. First, get the max towing capacity of the van, max combined vehicle weight of the van, and the gross weight rating of the van. You'll find a lot of help interpreting these numbers.

Like Bill said, you are looking at a heavy, and long, trailer if you want that kind of sleeping space. Good luck with the search.

Okay, did some research. Maximum trailer weight is 8,200lbs, GCWR is 14,000 lbs. GVW is 9,600.

It's not looking good is it? I am confused as to why the Maximum trailer weight plus the vehicle weight is higher than the GCWR.

We did buy the heavy duty towing package, does that make a difference?

Basically what it is saying that without towing anything you could load stuff in the vehicle to 9600 lbs. If you loaded the vehicle to the full 9600, then that would drop what you could tow to 4400lbs.

It means the vehicle empty probably weighs 5600 lbs.

Your maximum trailer weight can only be obtained with 1 driver, no passengers, no cargo, and about 1/2 tank of gas.

So add the weight of all people that will travel in the van and drop the trailer weight by that much. Add in any "stuff" that you would put in the van and drop the trailer weight by that much more.

The trailer weight means the empty weight of the trailer, plus any "stuff" you would want to put in

This unit sleeps 10 and has a GVW of 7500 loaded if you add the outside kitchen (you loose one bunk I think) taking the sleeping to 9, so in your case it should work. Suggested retail is around $29,000 with the larger a/c and customer value package, which means you can get it for a lot less.

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/floorplans.php?id=246&mod_id=1264"]Jayco 29L light weight

Call Amy at Midwest RV in Dayton, 937-236-0200 she will give you a great deal and she ships all across the country and Canada. She handles all their internet sales. Tell her "GRUMPY" sent you.

Thanks! I like that model. So you think our vehicle would be alright towing that?

This is what we were really in love with: http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=2694

Is it too heavy?

Without the GVWR of the trailer, we cannot answer that. The basic rule is GVWR (trailer) + GVWR (tow vehicle) cannot exceed the GCVWR of the tow vehicle. It really should not exceed 90% of the GCVWR. You can tow anything you want. The issue is making sure you tow it safely.

Things to remember:

The "towing capacity" of the van is worthless. Only the above numbers mean anything, which is why a salesman will not give them to you.

The salesman is not a reliable source of info. His/her job is to sell the product. Anything else is interference.

Thanks! I like that model. So you think our vehicle would be alright towing that?

This is what we were really in love with: http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=2694

Is it too heavy?

As Carol said it depend on how much "other stuff" you put in the van and trailer. The one your looking at is 6470 empty and the Jayco is 5600 and those are usually "dry weights". Does not include propane or any water in the tanks.

According the Keystone website, the gross on this trailer is 7600

http://keystone-premier.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=31BHPR

So with 14,000 GCWR on the vehicle - 7600 for the trailer - approximately 5600 for the empty weight of the vehicle, that only leaves 800 pounds for passengers and fuel.

That's way too close in my opinion

According the Keystone website, the gross on this trailer is 7600

http://keystone-premier.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=31BHPR

So with 14,000 GCWR on the vehicle - 7600 for the trailer - approximately 5600 for the empty weight of the vehicle, that only leaves 800 pounds for passengers and fuel.

That's way too close in my opinion

I wouldn't even try it. You'd be way to close to your max, even if you left all your clothes at the house. There's too much at risk here to cut corners.

To answer the 2nd question, it's possible. Just keep looking- on manufacturer's web sites, forums, etc.

You have the numbers you need. GCVWR x 90%. That tells you the max amount of weight you can safely tow. From that number, subtract the GVWR of the van. This will be your MAX trailer weight, fully loaded. Forget weight information that you see on the trailers. The only number that matters is the gross weight rating. After all, you don't tow your trailer empty when traveling, so why use the dry weight?

Keep looking, you will be amazed by what you find out there.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. So, what do you think we should look for in a gross trailer weight? Do you think we can even find anything that will sleep all of us in that weight?

Here's a "HYBRID".JAYCO Hybrid

Sleeps 8-10 but will be a little tight.

Wow, this thread is really confusing me with all the acronyms and numbers!

My Jeep has a factory tow package that says I can tow up to 5,000 lbs. I don't know what acronym that is .. just says it can tow up to that.

Now, after reading this, I'm wondering if i should be towing anything all. :-[

My Jeep weighs 3,574. My trailer weighs 1,520 (dry). I'm over 5,000 before even adding people and junk.

GVWR- gross vehicle weight rating. The maximum amount the vehicle can weigh, fully loaded

GCVWR- the maximum that tow vehicle and trailer are allowed to weigh, combined.

"tow rating"- worthless information

dry weight of a trailer or a tow vehicle- see previous

You don't tow your trailer empty. Don't bother with the empty weight. The tow rating that the salesman gives you doesn't mean anything.

You have to have a tow vehicle/trailer combined weight no more than 90% of your tow vehicle's GCVWR. Find out 90% the GVWR of the tow vehicle, then subtract it from the GCVWR. THAT is your weight allowance of the trailer.

Where can I find the GCVWR? I've Googled everything I can think of.

It should be in the specs section of the owner's manual. The tow vehicle's manual, not the trailer.

It should be in the specs section of the owner's manual. The tow vehicle's manual, not the trailer.

Okay thanks, found it, I think. GVWR = 8900 (no C in there)

So 90% of that number minus vehicle weight is 4,793. Even with people and stuff we are good to go with a 1,520 lb trailer. Assuming GVWR and GCVWR are the same. Are they?

I was starting to panic there for a few minutes!!!

Okay thanks, found it, I think. GVWR = 8900 (no C in there)

So 90% of that number minus vehicle weight is 4,793. Even with people and stuff we are good to go with a 1,520 lb trailer. Assuming GVWR and GCVWR are the same. Are they?

I was starting to panic there for a few minutes!!!

GVWR is the gross that the vehicle can weigh minus vehicle weight.

There should be a higher number that is GCVWR which is the maximum of everything, vehicle and trailer.

You have to stay below all numbers.

Stay below the max of stuff you can have in the vehicle, stay below the max of stuff you can have in your trailer, and the combination of everything should be less than the GCVWR.

GVWR is the gross that the vehicle can weigh minus vehicle weight.

There should be a higher number that is GCVWR which is the maximum of everything, vehicle and trailer.

You have to stay below all numbers.

Stay below the max of stuff you can have in the vehicle, stay below the max of stuff you can have in your trailer, and the combination of everything should be less than the GCVWR.

Okay. Sorry, I don't mean to sound dense. undecided.gif I've been towing stuff for so many years and I never heard any of this. I only went by the tow rating. My tow vehicle is old, maybe the didn't issue GCVWR back then? I can't find it.

I don't think it's going to be a problem with my current trailer but I would like to know the safety # before I ever tow anything else. I have towed much larger and heavier trailers all across the country. Now, I'm thinking maybe foolishly so.

The GCVWR is not my owner's manual but if anyone knows where I may be able to find it please let me know. My TV is '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with factory tow package. I figure it will tow more trailers before it's all said and done. It's lookin' to outlive me!

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

Okay. Sorry, I don't mean to sound dense. undecided.gif I've been towing stuff for so many years and I never heard any of this. I only went by the tow rating. My tow vehicle is old, maybe the didn't issue GCVWR back then? I can't find it.

I don't think it's going to be a problem with my current trailer but I would like to know the safety # before I ever tow anything else. I have towed much larger and heavier trailers all across the country. Now, I'm thinking maybe foolishly so.

The GCVWR is not my owner's manual but if anyone knows where I may be able to find it please let me know. My TV is '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with factory tow package. I figure it will tow more trailers before it's all said and done. It's lookin' to outlive me!

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

You have to use all the numbers that we discussed. The GVWR of the tow vehicle and the trailer. Those 2 numbers, added up, must not exceed 90% of the tow vehicle's GCVWR. The tow rating isn't useful, because the "tow rating" depends on how heavy the tow vehicle is at any given moment. You need to use the maximum numbers.

If you cannot find the GCVWR in the owner's manual (look again), then try calling the local dealership for it. Talk to the service people, not the sales people. They should be able to look up the GCVWR for you.