Approved Fire Pits for Fort Wilderness

I was given this by the Rangers so that we all would know what is approved and not. Enjoy!

(edit the scan came in upside down, I am fixing it)

We only need to worry if people start sitting on their heads to read the computer monitor. :)

so obviously I'm new to the lovely camping world.. but can you use a fire pit even if there is a burn ban? :unsure:

Nope, no fires at all when there is a burn ban. The problem is you never seem to know whene there is one, cause they leave the burn ban signs up year round!!!! So don't know when the bans are really in effect.

Nope, no fires at all when there is a burn ban. The problem is you never seem to know whene there is one, cause they leave the burn ban signs up year round!!!! So don't know when the bans are really in effect.

Carol, do you guys do new years at the fort? How cold will it get in December? We are thinking that next year we might try to do 2 weeks during christmas and new years but I'm worried about freezing the kids to death. Chances are we might have a TT by then but if we dont, we will be tenting it..

We were at Disney for the first time over New Years this last year. However, we didn't stay at the Fort, we stayed at All-Stars and just visited with the fiends New Years Eve.

I don't remember it being miserably cold. Now earlier in December, I understand it was FRIGID!!!

How cold will it get in December? We are thinking that next year we might try to do 2 weeks during christmas and new years but I'm worried about freezing the kids to death. Chances are we might have a TT by then but if we dont, we will be tenting it..

Typically, the temps are reasonable in Florida during Christmas to New Years. By reasonable I mean low 60's to mid 70's and even into the low 80's. Last year our winter was very, very freakish. Just keep an eye on the 10 day weather forecast before you leave and you should be well prepared. Normally a good sleeping bag or electric blankets will keep you toasty in a tent.

Carol, do you guys do new years at the fort? How cold will it get in December? We are thinking that next year we might try to do 2 weeks during christmas and new years but I'm worried about freezing the kids to death. Chances are we might have a TT by then but if we dont, we will be tenting it..

December does get chilly at night sometimes. It couldn't hurt to bring a small electric heater just in case. Just put it as far away from the tent wall as possible as the heat will ruin the tent material. You might never need it, but better to be safe than sorry when you have little ones.

Jan. & Feb. get downright freezing at night.

So the BRAND NEW pit I bought a couple of months ago, haven't had a fire in it (but it's been out of box & firewood in it ready to light), that was okay when I bought it, is now NOT allowed. I'll hook a piece of metal over it. No way I'm not using it.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if there have been any changes?? We are at the fort now Nd the paperwork still says no fires. It said that last time we were here too but fires were allowed

No- nothing new.

The directory of information and the signs posted on the comfort station bulletin boards still say no campfires.

But, you can still have a campfire as long as it is in an approved fire pit.

This past weekend, they were too busy chasing golf cart rule breakers and causing traffic congestion to worry about campfires, and I saw many people with uncovered or mesh covered fire pits using them without a problem from the rangers.

TCD