Other Cruise Lines

Yes, there ARE other cruise lines besides Disney!  :popcorn:

If anyone has questions about any of the other cruise lines and ships, let me know!  I've personally been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Norwegian (NCL).  And, I have taken courses in Holland America, Carnival and Princess, so I am very familiar with their ships and destinations.

Most of the cruise lines rolled out new, big ships this year (just like DCL did with the Dream).  The biggest (and in my opinion, the best) ships introduced recently are the Oasis of the Seas and the Allure of the Seas, from Royal Caribbean.  These ships are amazing!!!  Here's a link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/home.do;jsessionid=0000cLXW_w3jzorSp1NgIYTGEBH:15lbbpt04?shipClassCode=OA&br=R

Celebrity recently introduced it's new Solstice-class ships!  Did you know that they have a 1/2 acre Lawn Club on top of the ship, with real grass?  Great place for a picnic!

Anyway - those are just 2 examples.  Let me know if you have any questions!  :)

How do the other cruise lines compare to Disney Cruise Line? I can see that Disney is more expensive. I also read (thanks to TCD's cruise report) that you can bring liquor onto Disney ships. How do the other ships compare in regards to amenities and service? Room size about the same? I've noticed the pictures of the pools on the newer Dream seem pretty small..is this typical of most cruise lines?

We have never cruised before. Would likely be going with adult children.

Of course we love all things Disney, so that's our first inclination.

It's very hard to compare others with Disney.  They are so different.  It's like saying, how do offsite hotels compare to Disney hotels?  You get a very different experience with onsite hotels, just like you do with Disney ships.

But, that being said.....as much I love the Disney ships and Disney experience on them, I have a very hard time justifying the cost, when I know that there are other bigger and (IMO) better ships out there for half the price.

For instance, my favorite cruiseline is Royal Caribbean.  Their Voyager-, Freedom-, and now Oasis-class ships are amazing!  The Voyager-class ships have 27 bars and restaurants onboard (including 3 specialty restaurants, a Johnny Rockets, a beautiful wine bar and a fun British pub)!!  They also have:  an ice skating rink, full miniature golf course, rock climbing wall, a 5-story theater, full basketball court, volleyball court, and so much more.  We've always had fantastic customer service (just as good and sometimes better than Disney).  The Freedom and Oasis-class ships are even bigger and offer more amenities!

Royal Caribbean also has good shows -- but there is where Disney has the big edge over them.  We all know that Disney is in the business of entertainment and shows.  So, nobody can even come close to them when it comes to the evening theater performances.  Disney is an entertainment company that offers cruises.  Royal Caribbean is a cruiseline that also offers entertainment. 

Dining is also very different.  Disney has their rotating dining schedule, where you go to a different restaurant each night, and your tablemates and servers go with you.  The other cruiselines have a main dining room, where you have your assigned table, tablemates and server.  You can also choose to eat at other venues, if you do not feel like eating in the dining room each night.  Royal Caribbean offers My Time Dining, where you just make reservations each day for whatever time you'd like to eat that night.  On NCL (Norwegian) you can eat when you want, where you want.

The cruislines basically all go to the same places in the Caribbean.  Eastern will go to the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Maarten) and the Western will go to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica.  There are a few other islands/ports thrown in, but they all basically go to the same areas.

This probably confuses you even more, LOL.  Let me know if you have any other specific questions!  :waycool:

How do the other cruise lines compare in regards to children's activities?

My hubby and I are thinking (he dosen't know it yet) to go on a trip with my BF and family next year.  Their children wil be 8 and 3 at the time, so what activities would be offered for them.  And would the adults get as much child free time on a different cruise line as Disney?

This is also one area where Disney is better.  The others cannot compete with their kids' programs, because that's what Disney does best!

But, that being said, the second best I've seen is again, Royal Caribbean.  They have wonderful childrens' programs, segregated by ages (like Disney does).  Carnival also has good kids' programs, but I wouldn't recommend them for the shorter cruises as they are geared more toward partiers, and I don't think you would want your children around all of that.  Carnivals longer cruises would be fine though (7+nights).

NCL and Princess also have kids' programs, but IMO, they do not seem quite as good.  Celebrity tries, but because they are a more adult-oriented cruiseline, I wouldn't recommend it for small children. 

I do have to ask (can't resist) -- what does BF mean in your above post?  I always thought that meant Boyfriend, but considering the rest of the context (LOL) I don't think that's what you mean!!  :banana:

I like the idea of the private island that Disney offers for the Bahama cruises? Do any of the other lines offer that?

Also, if you are an "adult" family...meaning no one is under 18, will you be bombared with "screaming mee mees" as we fondly call the little ones, on the Disney cruise?  I know they offer adult only pools..and an adult only area on the island..which sounds great. Do other cruise lines offer amenities similiar to that?

Yes - the other cruise lines have their private islands too.  Royal Caribbean has Coco Cay in the Bahamas, and Labadee down in the Caribbean.  NCL has Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.  Princess has Half Moon Cay.  They are all basically the same, except Disney is the only one with the adult-only beach.  But, the other islands have places that are quieter, where the children don't usually go.

There are definitely lots of kids on the Disney cruise -- but like you said, they do a good job of keeping the adults and children separate, if you want to be.  The adult-only pool is very nice, and usually very quiet.  Same thing with the adult-only beach.

Yes - they have a very nice Solarium pool area that's adults-only.

The rooms are different, depending on the ship.  The regular rooms on the Magic and Wonder are a little larger than the regular rooms on the older RCCL ships.  But, I think the rooms on the Dream are a little smaller.  The suites on both cruiselines are comparable.

Hi, Roz:  I've not been on a cruise because I get motion sickness.  I have found the wonders of the Transderm Scop patches so I might consider one in the future.  Are there any smaller cruiselines that are more casual?  I'm not interested in fancy sit-down meals at a set time, with the same people, with the same servers.  Also not interested in stage shows everynight.  What about the cruises from New England up the St Lawrence Seaway for example, or the Rhine River Cruises? 

Great to see you here!

Thanks,

Hi Judy!

For a more casual cruising experience, I would highly recommend NCL!!  They are the masters of "Freestyle Cruising"!  You do not have to eat at any set time, and there is no dress code.  You can basically do what you want, when you want!!

They do offer cruises in New England, up the coast to Canada, during the fall (Sept/Oct).  The Norwegian Jewel starts in New York, and stops in Sydney; Halifax; St. John (Bay of Fundy); and Portland.  It's a 7-day cruise.  If you have motion sickness, I would recommend a balcony room, so you are not closed in.  The current cost for a balcony room is around $949 per person (based on 2 people in the room), plus taxes and port fees.

The European river cruises are very nice too -- but they are a little more formal.  There would be a set time for dining, and definitely a dress code in the evenings.  But, if you'd like prices, just let me know!

Let me know if you have any other questions!  I've cruised on NCL four times myself, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have about them!  :dance:

I do have to ask (can't resist) -- what does BF mean in your above post?  I always thought that meant Boyfriend, but considering the rest of the context (LOL) I don't think that's what you mean!!  :rofl2:

My definition of BF is Best Friend, which happens to be female  :dance:

Thanks for the great info!  Now I need to work on the hubby. 

I do have to ask (can't resist) -- what does BF mean in your above post?  I always thought that meant Boyfriend, but considering the rest of the context (LOL) I don't think that's what you mean!!  :)

My definition of BF is Best Friend, which happens to be female  :rofl2:

LOL  Now that makes a whole lot more sense!  :D

Since NCL is Freestyle Cruising, it's not everyone.  Some people would rather have the set dining times, formal nights, dress codes, eating with the same people and servers every night, etc. 

NCL has it's own pros and cons.  We personally have not liked the food as much, as we do on the other lines.  But, that's a matter of taste.  NCL has great burgers, fries, pizza, etc.  But, for more gourmet food, they are not as good.

One thing we really liked on NCL is the sports bar, that offers snacks all day long like chicken wings, fish n chips, etc.  It's a fun relaxing place to hang out for a couple of hours mid-afternoon, when you're done sitting around the pool and it's not dinner time yet.

We've always had good service on NCL.  The rooms are the same as other cruiselines.  Smaller than DCL rooms, but the same as RCCL and Celebrity.

We like the spa on NCL.  One thing we enjoyed was the day pass into the "relaxation area".  You do not need to get a spa treatment.  You can just go in anytime and make use of the adults-only relaxing area, with its jacuzzis, comfy loungers overlooking the fantail of the ship, the t-pool (sorry, can't spell thalasotherapy or whatever, lol), juice bar, robes, and saunas.  We spent a lot of time in here on our last cruise on the NCL Dawn!

Thanks,

NCL actually sounds right up our alley. My husband hates to dress up and I am not really into gourmet, except escargot, I tried that for the first time on the Wonder, yum.

For us cruising is all about relaxing, so an afternoon in the sports bar would be at the top our list :partytwo:

Thanks again,

doodlebug

Thanks Roz,

I won't be able to book a cruise right now, we are leaving next month on a Carnival cruise. I will keep you in mind for the next onethough.

I have another question, I have the Disney Dream booked for next January. Booked it through Disney, is there an advantage to moving it to a travel agent?

doodlebug