Busses and Drivers

Magicbus's comments got me to thinking about all the different busses we have ridden on at Disney. Funny how it's the vehicle that seems to occupy so much of your attention (is that the right bus? Nope, not yet), yet usually the faces of the drivers come and go. Got me to thinking about a few.

Our first trip, the driver that took my daughter and me over to the MK one night. The rest of the family stayed to play in the pool, but she wanted to see the parade. We were the only ones on the bus and she jabbered at him non-stop from the time she got on the bus to the time she got off. I know he couldn't have heard anything over the noise of the engine, but he nodded and responded the whole time like he was having the conversation of his lifetime.

(more in the next post)

(Guess I hit the max length, it wouldn't let me out this all in one post)

Another one, coming back from EPCOT one night. We stayed till closing and the busses were packed to the gills. I was holding my son, who had fallen asleep on my shoulder. We were standing at the front along with three or four 20-something guys who thought they were God's gift to humanity. Just as we pulled away from the loading area, traffic came to a sudden stand-still. Busses and cars, all trying to leave the park, and nobody could move an inch. We found out later that there had been a bus (non-Disney) vs. car accident right outside the gate, and they wouldn't let anyone out until they got things under control.

I lost track of how long we waited there. Seemed like forever. The jerks standing near me were bitching at the driver that they wanted off the bus, but he said that once he left the bus stop he wasn't allowed to let people off. The jerks were getting irate, because we were about half a bus-length from the embarking point. The swearing was getting worse until I and a couple other Dads started told them to sit down and zip it. I assume the driver was right. i could see several other busses out the window, none of them were letting anyone off. We had to have been penned for half an hour or more, but the driver never lost his smile and never got the least bit flustered. Probably routine for him, but I would never have been able to put up with it.

We were the only ones on the bus and she jabbered at him non-stop from the time she got on the bus to the time she got off. I know he couldn't have heard anything over the noise of the engine, but he nodded and responded the whole time like he was having the conversation of his lifetime.

I don't know why it is, but we can hear conversations about a third of the way down the bus. People will be whispering and I can hear what they're saying. So watch out what you call the driver. Most of us enjoy talking to the passengers and with a doubt, the best part of the job is the kids. I especially enjoy talking and interacting with them.

A few weeks ago at the end of a trip, people were getting off a full bus and I noticed a mom working her way up through the crowd getting off in order to get to me. Turns out her little boy had been looking all over WDW for a toy bus with Mickey in it. Well he finally found it and insisted to his mom that he show it to me. I felt so honored.

Turns out her little boy had been looking all over WDW for a toy bus with Mickey in it. Well he finally found it and insisted to his mom that he show it to me. I felt so honored.

Awesome way to get a tip on the job. 

We were the only ones on the bus and she jabbered at him non-stop from the time she got on the bus to the time she got off. I know he couldn't have heard anything over the noise of the engine, but he nodded and responded the whole time like he was having the conversation of his lifetime.

I don't know why it is, but we can hear conversations about a third of the way down the bus. People will be whispering and I can hear what they're saying. So watch out what you call the driver. Most of us enjoy talking to the passengers and with a doubt, the best part of the job is the kids. I especially enjoy talking and interacting with them.

A few weeks ago at the end of a trip, people were getting off a full bus and I noticed a mom working her way up through the crowd getting off in order to get to me. Turns out her little boy had been looking all over WDW for a toy bus with Mickey in it. Well he finally found it and insisted to his mom that he show it to me. I felt so honored.

That's a great story!

• 4 weeks later...

Awe, both of those stories are so sweet.