Do you microchip your pet?

We are taking our sons service dog down with us to Disney in a less than 2 weeks. My friend who also has a service dog has highly recommended I get our SD microchipped. I have heard different things about this , including that it can cause tumor growth. The dog was very expensive to aqquire aside from the fact hes priceless to us anyway just because we love him.

What do you guys do? Is microchipping safe? The thought of what they do makes me cringe. I want him to be safe but dont want to have anything done that will hurt him or could endanger his health. But if he ever got lost... I couldnt handle that. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Our youngest is chipped because she travels with us. The oldest dosen't so she isn't chipped.

For a less expensive chipping look into any pet expos this week-end (before your trip) and contact the local shelter. Sometimes they offer a discounted chipping. FYI.

Our heeler is so old 11 that it was NOT a widely offered service and frankly she'd never leave my side anyway....you just try to take her away and you'll see.

The Dane was adopted through a rescue and he is chipped. If he's ever lost without tags they call the rescue to come pick him up. It wasn't an option and it gives me peace of mind.

Edited by rebelstand

three of mine our chipped. i just never chipped one--no reason. the two got chipped when they were fixed and put under. the other was also done as a pup. the one that isn't chipped never went in for any surgeries-already fixed and i just didn't do it.

i would chip again. you can feel duke's but, it doesn't bother him. i would hate to have them get loose and the collar come off. it's been a long time since i chipped them.. but, i think you need to register them-please make sure you do this. :heart:

Thank you to all of you that replied. I had the microchip put in the other day without any worries thanks to all the feedback. I was very suprised how easy and quick it was. I guess I watch to many science fiction movies because I had these horrible images of what getting a microchip implanted might look/feel like. lol I dont think my pups even knew it was coming or when it was done. He wasn't to fond of the cranky cat with the infected eye next to him though. Liked our new vet also. Guess he doesn't get to many service dogs, and seemed quite taken with my Bobber. Now we are all set for the fort in 5 days !!!

Thank you to all of you that replied. I had the microchip put in the other day without any worries thanks to all the feedback. I was very suprised how easy and quick it was. I guess I watch to many science fiction movies because I had these horrible images of what getting a microchip implanted might look/feel like. lol I dont think my pups even knew it was coming or when it was done. He wasn't to fond of the cranky cat with the infected eye next to him though. Liked our new vet also. Guess he doesn't get to many service dogs, and seemed quite taken with my Bobber. Now we are all set for the fort in 5 days !!!

I'm pretty excited about your trip report!! Dont forget to nab me some pictures of Steve's cart :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...