Temp/Power Outage alert

I try to share this with all my friends that RV with pets.

If you're like us...you might crate your pets in the RV while you run over to the parks for some fun, food, drink, and thrills...

We were always bothered by the nagging possibility that the power might go out, or the a/c unit quits... When it's a hot sunny day --- our samoyed's would be overcome by heat, if left inside the camper and we are unaware.

I found a lot of different monitoring tools out there...most were very expensive. Then I came across a couple of items on Amazon.com that allowed me to hookup a system in our camper.

Cobra PhoneLynx

Intermediate Freeze Alarm

The Freeze alarm can be configured to alert you of a falling temperature event... OR a rising temperature event. In Florida, we're mostly worried about a rising temperature event. It will also notify you of a power failure. It uses a 9v battery to allow it to continue to operate, even with power failure. It can be programmed to call up to 3 different numbers to give an alert message if your parameters are exceeded. YOU can also call IN to get a status report at anytime... It needs a phone line connections --- and that's where the PhoneLynx system comes in...

The PhoneLynx is a bluetooth bridge device. It can pair with up to 2 different bluetooth enabled cellphones. When paired...you can connect a hardwired handset or telephony device to it to make and recieve phone calls. It uses a wall jack for 110vac power...but it actually is operating on 12vdc. If you elect to run it off of ac power...it would quit working if you lost power in your RV... You can use a UPS battery backup to power it...but all you really need is a 12vdc power source...and a plug that fits the PhoneLynx. That way...it will continue to work for the lifetime of your RV's 12 volt battery system...even when the 120vac shorepower is out.

Pay as you go cellphone. We could use one of our cellphones with the system... but decided to use one of our old Sprint handsets. If you have an old Verizon or Sprint cellphone you can have them set up to use Page Plus's pay as you go network. We have an automatic credit set up...every 120days $10 is credited to the phone. If you make sure to add credit at least one time every 120 days...all your credit will not expire. So, for about $30/ year...we're able to monitor our RV to make sure that the temperature isn't getting too hot...or the power hasn't failed ( which will lead to a high temperature condition when the air conditioning quits). The system will call us on our cellphones...continues to call us every 15 minutes until we enter our PIN to cancel the alerts... and we can stop what we're doing and go rescue the pets from the heat.

Just thought I'd pass this along...in case you're looking for a little piece of mind now and then.