Resort level comparison

From the Touring Plans Blog...

What You Get for the Money – Resorts

by Laurel Stewart on September 12, 2011 8 Comments

popbaloo-300x224.jpgPhoto by Betsy Bates

We are all about quantifiable data here at TouringPlans.com World Headquarters (located on an uncharted island in the South Pacific). There are many things you can’t quantify about a Disney resort. The adventure of an African game reserve versus the cozy romance of a Pacific Northwest lodge. The convenience of 24-hour Dole Whip versus sushi with a view of Wishes. Rubik’s Cube versus a frighteningly large cowboy boot. Theming and location aside, you can absolutely quantify the amount of space you get when you book the different categories of onsite resorts at Walt Disney World.

Not content to merely give you, our readers, a chart of the room dimensions, we decided to see how the relative square footage of the three resort categories compare when you drop them on top of each other. One trip to Home Depot later, we were ready to map it out.

It was a nice sunny day here in the South Pacific as we taped out our driveway (where we store our, uh, canoe), dragged out some furniture and suitcases, and threw down some sheets to show the size of two full sized beds (we know that all Deluxe and most Moderate resorts have queens at this point).

resortcomp1-1024x642.jpg

chart-300x89.jpg

As you can see, there is a substantial difference between the size of a value room and a deluxe room. So how does it play out when you run the numbers? You pay 2.7 times more per square foot for a deluxe room than a value. (We used rack rates for value season – weekdays – for our comparison, deluxe prices based on the Epcot area resorts.)

VW-300x200.jpg

What do you think? Is the price for a more convenient location, nicer furnishings, and better amenities worth it? Are you surprised by the numbers? Will you always stay at your favorite resort, no matter what? How many Volkswagens can you fit in a Disney resort room?

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/09/12/what-you-get-for-the-money-resorts/

I'm finding conflicting info. Some says it IS open 24 hours and some says they close at 11pm

Oh Lou!!!!!

Thanks for checking on this Monique.

I say Disney is to cheap to pay someone to man the cash register overnight.

I know they serve the CS restaurants at the Contemporary and AKL at around midnight nightly. I doubt that they keep the Poly's open 24 hours.

I'd like to know, though, as this may be a good place to stop after a 3 am EMH at the MK.

TCD

I'd like to know, though, as this may be a good place to stop after a 3 am EMH at the MK.

TCD

Agreed!! Would be nice to have a Dole Whip "night cap"

Take the Dole Whip back to the Fort and add a 'splash' of coconut rum ...

• 3 weeks later...

I recently (on 9/24/11) confirmed that the self-serve Dole Whip machine at Captain Cook's in the Polynesian Resort is open 24 hours a day.

The restaurant and beverage island is open 24 hours a day. Menu choices are limited after midnight, but they do have hot food, including flatbread.

TCD

Thanks for checking that out, it is nice to know that there is somewhere nearby to grab a bite at night!

I recently (on 9/24/11) confirmed that the self-serve Dole Whip machine at Captain Cook's in the Polynesian Resort is open 24 hours a day.

The restaurant and beverage island is open 24 hours a day. Menu choices are limited after midnight, but they do have hot food, including flatbread.

TCD

Thanks TCD! That is VERY good news indeed!!!

I may just have to make a middle-o-the-night run just to say I had a Dole Whip at 3am.

:rofl2: