Recommended campground near Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC ?

We're taking an unexpected trip next week to Asheville, NC and thought we'd take the kids to see Biltmore Estate. We'd like some recommendations as to where to camp. We have a 35 ft. travel trailer (Jayco Eagle) so would need a place for the bigger RVs. Also, I am known around here as the American Princess and will need full hook ups. No roughing it, please.

Thanks so much!

Mitzi

http://www.rutledgelake.com/

Beautiful campground right outside of Asheville. I have a trip report where I stayed at the campground from back in April.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/2173-strange-folks-traveling-together-also-known-as-the-tb-blue-ridge-rally/

Whatever you do, DON"T stay at the KOA Asheville East!! I think it is lovely and the stream is pretty and the bathrooms are clean. The problem? It sits at a railroad track/crossing and they only seem to run every 60 minutes in the middle of the night! I would recommend it if it weren't for that.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Rutledge Lake. It was very conveniently located to Biltmore and the sites we wanted to see in Asheville. A quaint little campground. It was our first time going private since we usually stay in a state park or forest.

My only complaint was that they didn't tell us that I-26 E was CLOSED down completely with all sorts of crazy and impossible detours for a 35 ft. trailer to make. We got horribly lost. Big flashing signs said "GPS unreliable" so we called the campground to ask for directions but they were less than helpful. Said they didn't even know that the interstate was closed. Told us to just follow the detours and the GPS. I was less than happy with them. It was not very good customer service to be unaware of an alternate route for their guests to take to get to their place when their exit was closed down from the interstate. When we finally got to the place, there was no one there in the office! We had to wait and wait for nearly 1/2 hour. Then, they tried to get us squeezed into a tiny little site that our camper would simply not go into. My husband finally just said "Look... this huge rig is not going to fit into that little space" (this after they tried to 'guide' him into it for 20 minutes.) So... if the interstate isn't closed and you have no trouble parking a huge camper in a tiny site, I'd say I recommend this place. :wacko: