What documents do they require for Fido ?

Hello friends,

We'll be bringing our precious Kezi (see avatar) with us for the very first time to Ft. Wilderness. He hasn't gotten to go with us before b/c we didn't have a hard-sided camper but now we do - YIPEE! :dance:

My question is... what documentation (if any) do I need to have with me concerning his vaccinations, etc. ? He is definitely up do date on his rabies, etc. . Do I just get a printout from our vet or what ? Are they going to ask for such things when we check in ?

Thanks!

Mitzi

Ditto! I always bring a copy of the shot records, but have never been asked to see them. You sign an agreement when you check in that states they are up to date, you are responsible....blah, blah, blah.

We carry a copy of Savannah's shot records and her most recent rabies certificate.

Make sure your precious one has updated contact info on the tags. And if chipped, the contact info is correct. Just in case.

Have a great trip!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I usually just bring copies of the most current vet record showing what vax they've had and def. their rabies certificates.

No one has ever asked, but if something ever happened or if you needed to get your dog kenneled or groomed or vetted for anything, it would be really good to have them on hand.

In fact ours are in the car so often that we keep them over the visor!

You know, Disney and/or Best friends is not the final authority on what documentation you need when traveling into Florida. Florida statute actually specifies what you need. From the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services web site, here are the Q&A regarding importing (yup, going to Disney for vacation with your animal is importing it into Florida) animals into Florida:

What do I need to have in order to bring my dog or cat to Florida from another State?

The pet will have to have:

• an Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) and,
  • documentation of current rabies vaccination.

What is a health certificate?

It is an official state health form completed by a veterinarian who examines and determines that your pet:

• is free of infectious and communicable diseases;
  • did not come from an area that is under quarantine for rabies, and
  • has not been exposed to a rabid animal.
  • It should also include documentation that your dog or cat is current on its rabies vaccination if the pet is 3 months of age or older.

Besides an official certificate of veterinary inspection, do I need to have a certificate of rabies vaccination also?

National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians (NASPHV) Form #51, Rabies Vaccination Certificate (or state equivalent), is normally provided by the veterinarian at the time of vaccination, and can be used as proof of vaccination when traveling. At a minimum, the official certificate of veterinary inspection (health certificate) must show the same information that comes from the NASPHV Form #51, Rabies Vaccination Certificate, to include the manufacturer, vaccine type, lot/serial number, and expiration date.

My pet had a health certificate when I purchased it last year; can I use that same one?

No, a health certificate is only valid for 30 days after the date the veterinarian signs it.

OK, I added a little bold and red to show you the three things that jump out at me.

Now, I'm not saying anyone has ever asked me for a health certificate, or actually even a rabies vaccination certificate, but it is what the law requires. Should there be an incident involving your pet, the police, animal control or other authority may ask. If you can't produce them there is always a possibility that they may impound the animal until they can sort things out.

If you want to read for your self, here are the FAQ's http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/faq/idcapbif_faq.shtml#q1