From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

Just when I thought this report couldn't get any better, you break out beer, red solo cups and Lorna's stylish new hat! :rofl2:

Lorna made it sound like it was gonna be really bad, it's not, it's actually very cute.

Love your Christmas song, good job!!

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

What a fun gathering of Fiends. We must do something like this for Stone Mountain.

Lorna I love you too but this is hysterical. :rofl2: P1030056.JPG

I'm sure we'll have a blast at SM!

Awww, Lorna! It's adorable! TITWIT looks like it was fun! My goal is to be there for BATWIT at Halloween TITWIT and Thanksgiving and ???? for Christmas/NYE!

What about SM?

Just for everyone reading along thats thinking that cobbler looks good. I can tell you from eating it that it was the best cobbler. I could eat some right now.

Thanks Michael!

LOVE THE LORNA PICS!!!!!!!!

:)

I guess the pictures were so good, Carol had to say it twice!

She got bit by the Kimmy Bug.

Dave, how can I hate you (EASY). But I know it's all in good fun. I just realized why Anna laughs every time I see her, do I always make those stange faces? ???

Ok I don't feel so bad, because I didn't realize that you got a picture of Jen also. But every picture I take my mouth is open, just one of these days I should shut up!!!

The hats were a present to us from Matt, I came home one night and he was so excited that he ordered us these hats from a friend of his, when I saw them I LMAO. Well how could I have something that funny and not share with FIENDS???

We had a great night and wish we would have gotten there earlier. Yes I will bring the hats to Stoned Mtn.

DAVE & INC and THE GIRLS :heartsmiley: :heart: :heartsmiley:

If you bring the hats to SM...I will put one on and you can get EVEN!

Just when I thought this report couldn't get any better, you break out beer, red solo cups and Lorna's stylish new hat! :rofl2:

Lorna made it sound like it was gonna be really bad, it's not, it's actually very cute.

Love your Christmas song, good job!!

I think it's a cute picture too. hilarious, but cute.

We have a few people in my family that have their mouth open in every picture...

Me too. Maybe we all do.

We have just a few more updates and this trip report can finally be put to bed. Whew! So...let's get to the next update right now.

We have arrived at Thanksgiving morning!

We were expecting my parents to arrive sometime late morning. They live around 45 minutes or so north of the Fort, in Florida's friendliest hometown. Anyone know where??

But before they arrived, we had a special activity planned for our 3 older girls.

They were riding the horses!

DD15 and DD14 had ridden once before several years ago, but DD11 was too young then. She has been begging to ride since turning 9, so before this trip we told the girls to stack and roll all our loose change to use for something fun at the Fort. It got the spare change jug emptied out...and it paid for the horse ride!

We made a reservation for the first ride on Thanksgiving morning.

They are ready to ride.

P1030059.JPG

P1030060.JPG

Doesn't Izzy look excited?

P1030061.JPG

P1030062.JPG

She's up and ready!

P1030063.JPG

Emma is getting on.

P1030064.JPG

P1030065.JPG

P1030066.JPG

P1030067.JPG

Gwen is our trained rider in the family. She looks like a natural up there.

P1030070.JPG

I had a few words with the horses, to warn them about treating my girls right.

P1030072.JPG

P1030073.JPG

Everyone was given basic instructions...mostly not to let your horse eat stuff along the trail. And then off they went.

P1030074.JPG

P1030075.JPG

P1030076.JPG

P1030077.JPG

P1030078.JPG

P1030079.JPG

P1030080.JPG

I think that's probably enough horse pictures for this trip report.

The girls had ridden their bikes to the stables, because we didn't plan on sticking around and they needed a way to get back to the TT when the ride was over. And what did the rest of us do while they were riding?

We headed to the porch for breakfast, of course!

I went inside Trails End to order another one of those bagel sandwiches. I like the tree in here.

P1030082.JPG

It didn't take too long and our breakfast was ready. We ate outside at one of the picnic tables on the porch.

P1030083.JPG

I also ordered some sticky buns. They come 6 to an order. They were pretty good!

P1030084.JPG

We got a side of breakfast potatoes with the bagel sandwich.

P1030085.JPG

Stella enjoyed a sticky bun.

P1030086.JPG

P1030087.JPG

Anna prefered the bagel sandwich.

P1030088.JPG

We had breakfast on the porch twice on this trip, and I thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

After we were done eating, we headed back to the site and the girls came home shortly afterward. Gwen wanted to do some more fishing, so she and Stella headed over to the Meadows lake and met up with rdancemom's daughter.

P1030089.JPG

Some folks were using tnbob's dock. The nerve of some people.

P1030090.JPG

P1030091.JPG

Around that time I got a call from my parents that they were almost to the Fort, so I headed to the Overflow lot to meet them and bring them to our site.

Coming up...Thanksgiving dinner, our final day, and I tell the whole truth about a shocking photograph.

Did the girls see the totem poles? Did they like the horseride? Looking forward to hearing more about your Thanksgiving Day and the truth about the shocking photo!

They DID like the horse ride. But they did NOT see the totem poles. I don't know whether they aren't observant, or if the totem poles are hidden in the trees and not that noticeable when you are riding horses.

I had so many comments after catching up on all the updates that I was just going to say GREAT UPDATES and leave it at that...but...

then I saw some awesome Dole Whip skills being exhibited. My skills are lacking in the Dole Whip Department.

then I saw Anna charming TCD. Way too cute!

then I heard INC call Trails End Pizza awesome... Oh mercy!

then I saw you, Dave, on the playground... well, I am still going to have no comment there. :rofl2:

then I saw something I've never seen before... Fiends in crochet hats..... OHHHHH LAWDY!!! :rofl2: X 10.

Love it Dave!!!

PS... ETA: SUPER SQUIRREL!? Double Oh Lawdy! LOL!

Finally getting a chance to read through this TR, and I'm so glad for the chance -- it's just full of all kinds of wonderful! Like KFK, that's all I was going to say, but of course I have to put in my two cents...

Sounds like you could have used some sons on your Melvin mission. My guys carry their gear in random pockets and little leather cases on their belts -- there is ALWAYS a flashlight around when you've got sons, possibly along with rappelling ropes, night vision goggles, and maybe even some smoke bombs to throw people off your trail. (Although it sounds like you did just fine anyway!)

Those waffles at RF...those waffles...swoon...

TITWIT -- what a complete hoot. Such a great group of peeps! Looks like an absolute riot.

And why does that squirrel make me think of Cam Newton?

Fantastic TR, Dave. Your family is completely adorable!

The girls look so cute in their riding gear. Nathen & Amanda did the horse ride last year and had a good time. Expensive, but like everything else at WDW, everyone should do it once.

Sticky buns look yummy! Stella looked like she enjoyed it. :))

I am sad that this report is almost over.

I had so many comments after catching up on all the updates that I was just going to say GREAT UPDATES and leave it at that...but...

then I saw some awesome Dole Whip skills being exhibited. My skills are lacking in the Dole Whip Department.

then I saw Anna charming TCD. Way too cute!

then I heard INC call Trails End Pizza awesome... Oh mercy!

then I saw you, Dave, on the playground... well, I am still going to have no comment there. :rofl2:

then I saw something I've never seen before... Fiends in crochet hats..... OHHHHH LAWDY!!! :rofl2: X 10.

Love it Dave!!!

PS... ETA: SUPER SQUIRREL!? Double Oh Lawdy! LOL!

Oh LAWDY yourself, KFK!!! Thanks for the comments.

Although I don't remember INC calling the pizza awesome...she's more of a Via Napoli kinda gal. TE is more Digiorno. :rofl2: Although the atmosphere of eating that pizza on the porch does rival VN.

I bet you see more hats at SM.

Finally getting a chance to read through this TR, and I'm so glad for the chance -- it's just full of all kinds of wonderful! Like KFK, that's all I was going to say, but of course I have to put in my two cents...

Sounds like you could have used some sons on your Melvin mission. My guys carry their gear in random pockets and little leather cases on their belts -- there is ALWAYS a flashlight around when you've got sons, possibly along with rappelling ropes, night vision goggles, and maybe even some smoke bombs to throw people off your trail. (Although it sounds like you did just fine anyway!)

Those waffles at RF...those waffles...swoon...

TITWIT -- what a complete hoot. Such a great group of peeps! Looks like an absolute riot.

And why does that squirrel make me think of Cam Newton?

Fantastic TR, Dave. Your family is completely adorable!

Thanks Kate! Are you going to be at SM this year? We can use your sons for any missions that may come up. Just hopefully not any missions that involve changing flat tires.

This is one great TR, you all had soooooo much fun. I will forgive you for the picture, I will get even lol.

I have no doubt about that, Lorna.

The girls look so cute in their riding gear. Nathen & Amanda did the horse ride last year and had a good time. Expensive, but like everything else at WDW, everyone should do it once.

Sticky buns look yummy! Stella looked like she enjoyed it. :))

I am sad that this report is almost over.

Wow....your comment included the words "sticky buns look yummy" and it didn't involve red solo cups and/or JJ.

Dave-

Great updates.

I wish I had hung around longer at TITWIT!

What a great Thanksgiving morning your family had- horseback riding and fishing! That is what it's all about.

Now, a couple of comments.

LOL Indeed, you did.

For those who may not have seen the pics...

406291_10150419706382890_695167889_9095309_1011630727_a.jpg

and the tickets (a bit blurry...I really need to scan them)

397163_10150419707377890_695167889_9095322_1260675018_a.jpg

I don't know about you, Dave, but to me it seems like Yodagirl is practically asking us to come and get that kazoo.

I'm going to put on my camo shirt and pick you and Izzy up on my way to Kentucky.

We have another mission!

They DID like the horse ride. But they did NOT see the totem poles. I don't know whether they aren't observant, or if the totem poles are hidden in the trees and not that noticeable when you are riding horses.

I don't remember ever seeing the totem poles before when on the trail ride.

The way things go out there, you are pretty much focused on keeping your horse from rear-ending the horse in front of you, so there really isn't much opportunity to look around.

And, the guides don't tell any kind of story or point things out, so I'll bet most everyone misses seeing those totem poles.

TCD

Ohhhh…..(wait for it)…..HANA!!!!

We've arrived at Monday evening, and our long awaited return to 'Ohana.

Yes, that 'Ohana. The restaurant that launched a thousand sh......oh, nevermind. You remember the story. If you didn't see my Oct 2010 trip report at Voldemort, let's just say that 'Ohana became a verb the next morning.

But despite all of that, INC allowed me to make another ADR for this trip. So without further delay, let's head out from the 500 loop for a little trip to the Poly!

We walked to the marina, as our Kenny cart was in the shop.

P1020861.JPG

P1020862.JPG

We boated and monorailed it, and arrived at the Poly a bit before our scheduled ADR. And right on time, we were called. On the way to our table, they showed us their signature dessert...the banana bread pudding. :heart:

P1020863.JPG

And the pineapple bread.

P1020864.JPG

We were lead to a table along the side of the restaurant, right by the windows. We could see the castle from our table, as well as the Poly grounds.

Stella was ready!

P1020869.JPG

Salad was the first thing to hit the table, along with the bread.

P1020870.JPG

Next up came the potstickers and sticky wings.

P1020871.JPG

We did a number on the potstickers and wings...those are the highlight of the meal in my opinion. And then they started coming around with the meats...first the grilled shrimp.

P1020872.JPG

They also came around with chicken, beef and pork. They were supposed to bring lo mein and broccoli, but we were almost done with our meal and I had to catch a server to bring some. They also were horrible at refilling our drinks. The service was really bad this time...but of course being a party of 6 or more I was automatically hit for an 18% gratuity. I swear the servers know that they are getting it no matter what, so they really don't try hard with a big party. At least it seems that way.

In any case, we had a good time despite the service. Stella joined in on the dancing.

P1020873.JPG

P1020875.JPG

P1020876.JPG

Anna got into the island vibe.

P1020881.JPG

P1020882.JPG

This might be my favorite picture of the trip.

P1020883.JPG

Gwen was getting into the island thing too!

P1020885.JPG

And Izzy too!

P1020890.JPG

P1020887.JPG

And then came the banana bread pudding...with a whole pitcher of caramel sauce poured over the top!

P1020888.JPG

And plain ice cream for the kids that don't like bread pudding.

P1020889.JPG

I wanted a cup of decaf with my dessert....but of course the server never came back around. So we paid the bill and left. It was a great time, with decent food, and horrible service. And we were STUFFED!

We left the Poly and took the monorail to the MK, where we got off and went to get the boat to the Fort. While waiting for the boat, INC and the girls were sitting on the bench at the boat docks and were leaning back, comparing their 'Ohana bellies. We were all very full...and our bellies were stretched a bit. Well INC leaned back and declared that she was gonna have a meat baby. We all howled! We laughed so hard that our bellies hurt. We all felt like we were having meat babies. Pretty soon, the boat came, and the whole ride back to the Fort we patted our bellies and compared our meat babies. The other people on the boat must have thought we were escaped psychiatric patients. :rofl2:

And by the way, if INC does actually give birth to a meat baby...we are naming him Little David.

Coming up: a secret mission....and Is That A Moose???

SO many of the pictures in this post are "hang on the wall" worthy! What an absolutely beautiful family!!!

What a great Thanksgiving morning your family had- horseback riding and fishing! That is what it's all about.

Now, a couple of comments.

I don't know about you, Dave, but to me it seems like Yodagirl is practically asking us to come and get that kazoo.

I'm going to put on my camo shirt and pick you and Izzy up on my way to Kentucky.

We have another mission!

First off...I'm not so sure that horsebacking riding and fishing is what it's all about. I had always heard that doing the hokey pokey was what it's all about. But to each his own.

And secondly, I am ready and waiting for our mission to Kentucky. Just pick me up on your way.

SO many of the pictures in this post are "hang on the wall" worthy! What an absolutely beautiful family!!!

Thank you! And of all the pics in that post...this is the most "hang on the wall" worthy.

P1020871.JPG

:heart:

In my last installment we saw some of my girls ride horses, while the rest of us had breakfast on the porch. It was a great Thanksgiving morning! And then before lunch time, my parents arrived and called for me to come pick them up. I took the golf cart to the overflow lot and picked them up, as well as the turkey they had brought with them.

We went back to the site and I got the Big Easy set up. That's the infrared turkey "fryer", which uses propane and no oil.

P1030098.JPG

P1030099.JPG

While the turkey was cooking, we broke out some more of this.

P1030094.JPG

Typical Russian...she is into the booze.

P1030095.JPG

P1030096.JPG

P1030097.JPG

Some of the kids went out for bike rides while dinner was cooking. We did it as easy as possible...microwaved mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole in the oven, microwave niblets corn, homemade gravy (that's the nice thing about the Big Easy...you can use the drippings unlike a real fryer), store bought rolls...it was an easy dinner to pull together.

A couple of hours later and we were ready to eat.

P1030101.JPG

P1030102.JPG

We enjoyed our visit with my parents, and enjoyed dinner. Afterward, we had a pumpkin pecan pie from Publix and the leftover cobbler from TITWIT. And then it was time to take them back to their car so they could drive home.

That left us with an open evening...what to do on Thanksgiving night at WDW??

Go shopping of course!

So we headed to the Outpost and hopped the bus to DTD.

And it was a ZOO!

We didn't hit too many stores, pretty much just the Toy Store and the World of Disney store. Oh, and the chocolate shop for our free sample.

Gwen found this cool backpack.

P1030103.JPG

They had a lot of great Star Wars merchandise. I LOVED this shirt.

P1030104.JPG

Gee, is there a Fiend that could wear this?

Stella always likes trying on hats.

P1030105.JPG

Anna too.

P1030108.JPG

Since the stores were so crowded, and we didn't need anything anyways, we headed back to the buses to return to the Fort.

We did a bit of looping that evening, and then turned in relatively early. At least compared to TCD's marathon Thanksgiving.

And after Thanksgiving was over...we only had one more day left at the Fort. :-[

Which means I only have one more update before I can put this report to bed.

Well, plus I also have that shocking pic I want to share, where I set the record straight about one of my posts earlier in the report. That will come up after my next and final update....which of course will include some pood forn!

Stay tuned!

That turkey looks delicious! How long did it take to cook in the big easy?

I soooo wish that you bought that shirt for Anna. I could be twins with Anna one day, and twins with TCD the next (In our Ft Wilderness shirts)

You must have the cutest damn family EVER! Adding Anna to the mix was icing on the cake. :heart:

I will now sing The Hokey Pokey for the rest of the night, thanks for that. <_<

Wow, you made making Thanksgiving dinner look like a breeze. I am going to have to get me a Big easy! I now this sounds monotonous but what a great day you had!!

Say it's not so, Dave. It can't be almost over. :(

Yep! Almost over. Should wrap it up tomorrow or the next day.

That turkey looks delicious! How long did it take to cook in the big easy?

I soooo wish that you bought that shirt for Anna. I could be twins with Anna one day, and twins with TCD the next (In our Ft Wilderness shirts)

You must have the cutest damn family EVER! Adding Anna to the mix was icing on the cake. :heart:

I will now sing The Hokey Pokey for the rest of the night, thanks for that. <_<

Sorry about the hokey pokey. I'm evil that way.

The Big Easy will do a chicken or turkey in 8-10 minutes per pound. Our turkey was around 16 pounds and took about 2 1/2 hours. I left my thermometer at home, so had to guess by wiggling the legs and wings to see when done. Truthfully, I think it stayed in 10 too long. Was good, but just a tad dry for my taste. Nothing a little (or a lot) of gravy couldn't fix! And the gravy was GOOD! I love gravy made from pan juices. :jumpforjoy