From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

I don't know about you, Dave, but to me it seems like Yodagirl is practically asking us to come and get that kazoo.

I'm going to put on my camo shirt and pick you and Izzy up on my way to Kentucky.

We have another mission!

TCD

0:-)

Gwen found this cool backpack.

P1030103.JPG

That is awesome.

Just sayin'.

What a beautiful family you have !!!

Thank you for reading my trip report, Diana!! It is nice to see you here.

All your girls are so cute, but these two pictures are especially awesome!

Thanks Leslie!

meat baby, I'm still laughing

My DW really cracked me up on that one!

That is awesome.

Just sayin'.

They really had some cool SW merchandise this year, but that Yoda backpack was about the best. Funny though...Gwen wasn't able to run through swamps and do flips with him on her back.

Love the Turkey day pics!!!!

Thanks Carol!

Dave-

It looks like you did a great job having Thanksgiving dinner at your site.

I have never heard of the Big Easy cooker. As you know, for the last few years, we have been at the Fort for Thanksgiving, and my in-laws have taken care of the cooking back home. My brother-in-law always fries a couple of turkeys, but that sure is an involved process. I am going to check out the Big Easy for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip, but I am not looking forward to the end of this great trip report.

TCD

Another sweet update, I LOVE the Yoda back pack , that was awesome and Anna NEEDS that Tshirt as our beloved Doodle would say. We got a Big Easy this year and loved it! Camping was one of the reasons we wanted something oil less, I still havent quite figured out how it does what it does but the meat is awesome, we are trying a prime rib for our Holiday dinner.. whenever that might be.. grr..

Oh LAWDY yourself, KFK!!! Thanks for the comments.

Although I don't remember INC calling the pizza awesome...she's more of a Via Napoli kinda gal. TE is more Digiorno. :rofl2: Although the atmosphere of eating that pizza on the porch does rival VN.

I bet you see more hats at SM.

I believe INC said the pizza remark in a reply comment.... and she did qualify the statement by saying she'd never eaten TE pizza before enjoying an adult beverage. :rofl2:

We are looking forward to trying VN one day. We have only heard positive things about it.

Ok, I guess I need find a silly hat of my own to bring to SM. That could be fun. We need something to replace the tongue photos. LOL :raspberry: J/K

Still enjoying this TR with all my :heart: You have one terrific family and ya'll really know how to have a great time!

Dave-

It looks like you did a great job having Thanksgiving dinner at your site.

I have never heard of the Big Easy cooker. As you know, for the last few years, we have been at the Fort for Thanksgiving, and my in-laws have taken care of the cooking back home. My brother-in-law always fries a couple of turkeys, but that sure is an involved process. I am going to check out the Big Easy for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip, but I am not looking forward to the end of this great trip report.

TCD

We've owned our Big Easy since 2007. That was the first year we spent Thanksgiving at the Fort, and I bought it for that trip. We've not used it enough considering how well it works. Probably 8 or 9 times total in the 4 years I've owned it. I need to try some different cuts of meat in it in 2012, like a pork roast or something. It is a very versatile cooker.

Another sweet update, I LOVE the Yoda back pack , that was awesome and Anna NEEDS that Tshirt as our beloved Doodle would say. We got a Big Easy this year and loved it! Camping was one of the reasons we wanted something oil less, I still havent quite figured out how it does what it does but the meat is awesome, we are trying a prime rib for our Holiday dinner.. whenever that might be.. grr..

Let us know how that prime rib comes out! And I sure hope you are celebrating with that prime rib on Christmas Day.

I believe INC said the pizza remark in a reply comment.... and she did qualify the statement by saying she'd never eaten TE pizza before enjoying an adult beverage. :rofl2:

We are looking forward to trying VN one day. We have only heard positive things about it.

Ok, I guess I need find a silly hat of my own to bring to SM. That could be fun. We need something to replace the tongue photos. LOL :raspberry: J/K

Still enjoying this TR with all my :heart: You have one terrific family and ya'll really know how to have a great time!

We should have a stupid hat contest on SM. Winner loser gets to take Bob's cart for a spin. :rofl2:

Dave, how can I hate you (EASY). But I know it's all in good fun. I just realized why Anna laughs every time I see her, do I always make those stange faces? ???

Ok I don't feel so bad, because I didn't realize that you got a picture of Jen also. But every picture I take my mouth is open, just one of these days I should shut up!!!

The hats were a present to us from Matt, I came home one night and he was so excited that he ordered us these hats from a friend of his, when I saw them I LMAO. Well how could I have something that funny and not share with FIENDS???

We had a great night and wish we would have gotten there earlier. Yes I will bring the hats to Stoned Mtn.

DAVE & INC and THE GIRLS :heartsmiley: :heart: :heartsmiley:

What? So, just because he got a picture of me (looking like I am about to kill someone with laser eyes :rofl2: ) you are not going to put a hex on him? Pashaw! You have been talking about what you were going to do to him for weeks! :rofl2:

Oh well....such is life.. :rofl2:

Well...I never expected this trip report to go 30 pages. I guess I shared a few too many pictures, and blathered on about every little thing we did a bit much. But I've enjoyed telling the stories. And now, over 3 weeks since starting, we've reached the last day of the trip. Finally!

So Friday morning dawned, and we wanted to go have one last breakfast at the Fort. And there was one thing that INC and I wanted to enjoy, that we hadn't yet. We had every opportunity on our first morning at WDW, when we dined at Kona Cafe, but we didn't get it then.

We wanted Tonga Toast!

And we had learned during this trip that you can get Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks, the counter service place at the Poly. And at Captain Cooks, it only cost $5.19. Compared to $12 or $13 at Kona. So off to the Poly we went!

We headed to the marina.

P1030109.JPG

We boated and monorailed...and before long were at the Poly and found some outdoor seating behind Captain Cooks. It was a zoo inside! But we placed our orders at the kiosks, made our way through an incredibly long line at the registers, waited for our food, got our food, and then sat down. And this is what awaited me.

P1030110.JPG

Anna had the kids scrambled eggs.

P1030111.JPG

Some of the kids had the kids Mickey waffle.

P1030112.JPG

For a dollar less, you can get a Mickey waffle without ears. So I convinced the kids to save the buck and get earless Mickeys.

Ok, I'm lying about that.

They were already eaten before I could snap a picture.

Breakfast was good. And INC and I had our Tonga Toast. So we were happy.

After breakfast, we walked around the Poly a bit. We decided to take the boat from the Poly to the MK and then transfer to the Fort boat from there. So we wandered down to the Poly docks to catch the resort launch.

The women must have had enough family time for one trip, as they each took a separate bench to wait for the boat. I guess 11 nights in a trailer will do that to a family.

P1030113.JPG

P1030114.JPG

One last look back at the Poly.

P1030115.JPG

Ok, maybe that wasn't the last look. This is.

P1030116.JPG

And then I figured this was a good time to get my free Twinkie.

What, you didn't know they handed out free Twinkies at the Poly dock?

Well, apparently you have to wait here for them. But for some reason I never got my free Twinkie that day. Disney owes me a free Twinkie.

P1030117.JPG

We caught the boats back and had an uneventful trip back to the Fort.

And we spent the rest of our final day relaxing, visiting with Fiends, and breaking down camp.

We got to say goodbye to most of the Fiends, but did miss a few. We hope to be seeing many Fiends at Stone Mountain in May as well. But you can never have quite enough Fiend time.

On our last night, we went to Trails End for the dinner buffet. I don't have any pictures, but we enjoyed it more than I thought we would! We hadn't eaten dinner there in several years and it was better than before I think. And it was a good way to end our vacation at the Fort.

And that was it. On Saturday morning we pulled out of camp at 6:15am for the long trek home. We made good time and did the drive in one day. Got home at 6:45 Nashville time that evening. Not bad!

So while that was my last update of the report....this trip report is not quite over. I have a couple of final thoughts to share, and I still want to set the record straight about one of the things I reported on in this TR....including telling the entire truth about one photo. And I have one final picture to share which you may find shocking. But I need to get it all out in the open...that's just the way I roll. That's all coming up in my final update!

I had never seen a Big Easy cooker before yesterday. I was working on the plumbing at a guys house and when I finished he said I have to show you something. So he took me to his garage and pulled out the Big Easy cooker and went on for 30 min. talking about how great it was and what all you can cook in it. He said he bought it at Lowes for $99.00. It was strange that he showed it to me because we never talked about food or cooking. So then I read your report last night and your talking about a Big Easy now I wonder if I need one. I have enjoyed your report and it was really nice meeting you and your family.

Well...I never expected this trip report to go 30 pages. I guess I shared a few too many pictures, and blathered on about every little thing we did a bit much. But I've enjoyed telling the stories. And now, over 3 weeks since starting, we've reached the last day of the trip. Finally!

Never enough pictures!

I've so enjoyed reading your stories! Blather on!

:'( Sorry to see your TR ending!

Dave, this has been an awesome report! We never get too many pictures or blathering. I tend to ramble. What is the difference between blathering and rambling? Doesn't really matter, I think they both means that we talk a lot. 8)

I'm sad that it's almost over. Reading all the great reports here has kept me somewhat sane during the craziness of the holidays.

Can't wait for the shocking photo, I totally dig shocking!! >:D

Aww, I'm sad, it's almost over. or is it? I hear confession is good for the soul. Dave. Can't hear the whole truth and I always love looking at your pictures.

See you at Stone Mountain!!

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have some confessing to do later today...maybe this afternoon sometime.

And I'm not even Catholic! :rofl2:

Love the pics of the family contemplating the view from the Poly benches!!! I guess almost their last chance to be more than a foot away from each other during that drive home!!!

You might be on to something.

I was working on the plumbing at a guys house and when I finished he said I have to show you something. So he took me to his garage and pulled out the Big Easy and went on for 30 min.

Michael....there are so many comments that could be made here I don't know where to begin. And since I try to keep my trip report family friendly, I may just skip this and move along. :rofl3:

Never enough pictures!

I've so enjoyed reading your stories! Blather on!

:'( Sorry to see your TR ending!

Thanks Gwen! Just a bit more blathering and then this one will be put to bed.

Dave, this has been an awesome report! We never get too many pictures or blathering. I tend to ramble. What is the difference between blathering and rambling? Doesn't really matter, I think they both means that we talk a lot. 8)

I'm sad that it's almost over. Reading all the great reports here has kept me somewhat sane during the craziness of the holidays.

Can't wait for the shocking photo, I totally dig shocking!! >:D

I know what you mean Stef...I enjoy reading people's reports a lot. And I like to talk...and so I write my reports as if I'm just talking about the trip while showing pics. It's fun for me. But this one has gone on longer than I thought it would...and it's time to wrap things up. And later on today I'll do just that.

Dave-

I saw Big Easy cookers on sale with free shipping from Amazon for $69.

I am thinking about buying one.

Do you have any idea how much propane that thing uses to cook a turkey?

What do you do to your turkey before you cook it? Do you inject marinade? Dry rub?

Before you finish this report, how about some Big Easy cooking tips?

TCD

Dave-

What do you do to your turkey before you cook it? Do you inject marinade? Dry rub?

TCD

I don't know how much propane it uses, but my Dad brought his tank from home (20 lb?) and the loss in weight was not that noticeable from before to after cooking. It probably uses the same or less as a typical gas grill would in the same time.

I have injected in the past, but overall I prefer my turkeys with just some salt and pepper, especially if I plan on using the drippings for gravy. But you can go wild and experiment with various rubs and marinades.

Dave-

TCD

That my friend is an awesome deal, GOD I love amazon!

anywho, I can help with a few of those questions. We had a 20lb tank hooked up to it for 5 hours total on thanksgiving, we did two turkeys. One I did inject with a marinade and used a dry rub on the other, both were equally excellent. I was worried about the dry rub "coming" off but it stuck beautifully. The tank was still 3/4 of the way full when we were done. In fact, I'll be using that same tank for our Christmas dinner.

We are doing a prime rib in it this weekend, just recevied confirmation that DH will be home late Friday night, so Christmas is back on for the Carter household. I'll be sure to let you know how the prime rib works out :)

That my friend is an awesome deal, GOD I love amazon!

anywho, I can help with a few of those questions. We had a 20lb tank hooked up to it for 5 hours total on thanksgiving, we did two turkeys. One I did inject with a marinade and used a dry rub on the other, both were equally excellent. I was worried about the dry rub "coming" off but it stuck beautifully. The tank was still 3/4 of the way full when we were done. In fact, I'll be using that same tank for our Christmas dinner.

We are doing a prime rib in it this weekend, just recevied confirmation that DH will be home late Friday night, so Christmas is back on for the Carter household. I'll be sure to let you know how the prime rib works out :)

Besides Turkey and Prime Rib, what else has everyone cooked in that there thingy bob?

JUDY CONGRATS!!!!!

We only smoked it, but we brined our turkey breast overnight Saturday in salt/sugar/hot peppers, and OH MY!!!! That is the best tasting turkey breast, it actually had flavor!

THAT IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!