TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving at the Fort Trip Report

From here, you may have guessed that the first stop will be Trail's End for some coffee. I had my coffee maker along with some quality coffee to make, but for some reason I cannot resist drinking that awful swill they serve at Trail's End. I really don't like that Nescafe' coffee, but at the same time I can't help drinking several cups of it every morning. Weird.

You know, last Saturday I stopped by TE and had me a cup of that brown liquid they claim is coffee. I swear that stuff tasted like it was left over for the morning before. As I took that first swallow, I wondered if this is the coffee that you always get when you're out on your morning scouting missions.... I guess I'm spoiled on that artsy fartsy Keurig coffee from the camper...

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit as the mother of 4 young children I can't even imagine what the day will be like when our kids go on "an adventure" without parental supervision. Most of our trips are more like your Hal

Somethings just can't be topped.. and you my friend are the winner for today.. :bellringer:

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my

This is just a quick follow up post to point out something in one of the photos in my last post.

(for some reason my spacing gets messed up when I try to edit my posts, so I am handling it this way).

Note how the two notice signs in front of Pioneer Hall are blank. They are currently experimenting with different start times for the Hoop Dee Doo Review, so the old signs were taken down. I think it's interesting that they have not put up new signs. I guess this is really just an experiment, and they're not sure what they are going to do:

IMG_1319.jpg

TCD

I need to write my trip reports faster. You're scooping me on all the things I specifically took photos of to scoop you!

First off, I think this is the fastest that I caught up on a TCD report. Second, are the people who stay in the teepee's native american? Just curious.

And last but not least, when we were there I was talking to my friend Susan who fills in at the HDDR and she said they aren't getting the crowds like they used to and they aren't sure if it is going to last. Also, she said that the reason for the castmember changes, is that they are slowly getting rid of the professional singers and actors when their contracts are up and going back to the college kids and amateur performers because it's cheaper.

I know they were slow, because one night as I was walking out of Crockett's the cast told me and a couple other people milling around to come in and watch the show, but I had to get back to the camper.

Hopefully its gets busy again, because I do want to see it one day.

Best Regards,

Norm

And last but not least, when we were there I was talking to my friend Susan who fills in at the HDDR and she said they aren't getting the crowds like they used to and they aren't sure if it is going to last.

If they charged no more than $40 for an adult, and $25 or so for kids, to see the show, I'd go every time we visit the Fort. But as much as I enjoy it, I'm not shelling out $400 for dinner. I'm even done with most of the sit down places. Ohana was $227 for dinner. I just can't afford that...much less feel that it is worth it. Good thing I enjoy Captain Cooks and Roaring Forks. I also enjoy my crockpot.

If they charged no more than $40 for an adult, and $25 or so for kids, to see the show, I'd go every time we visit the Fort. But as much as I enjoy it, I'm not shelling out $400 for dinner. I'm even done with most of the sit down places. Ohana was $227 for dinner. I just can't afford that...much less feel that it is worth it. Good thing I enjoy Captain Cooks and Roaring Forks. I also enjoy my crockpot.

Y'all know, my bunch loves to eat out. I agree though, the prices have just gotten ridiculous.

We enjoyed your Dutch Oven.

I had a license plate holder that I purchased in a previous trip (Jessica Rabbit no less..said, "I don't drive bad, it only looks that way") and when I went for my inspection sticker in Maine, they said that they couldn't give me one unless I took off the plate holder. Why??? I might cover your tag stickers....it wasn't but I still had to take it off myself and go back to get my sticker.

Nancy

Just caught up on this GREAT GREAT Five Star Over the top FUN Trip Report!

BTW I like the new Fort Wilderness merchandise. :).

You know, last Saturday I stopped by TE and had me a cup of that brown liquid they claim is coffee. I swear that stuff tasted like it was left over for the morning before. As I took that first swallow, I wondered if this is the coffee that you always get when you're out on your morning scouting missions.... I guess I'm spoiled on that artsy fartsy Keurig coffee from the camper...

Yes- you got the swill that I drink. But, note that is the same swill they serve all over WDW and even aboard the ships of the Disney Cruise Line. Somehow I have gotten used to it. And, I like going in to Trail's End and the Meadow Trading Post to fill my mug. So, even though I pack a coffee maker and much better coffee, I can't resist the swill.

I need to write my trip reports faster. You're scooping me on all the things I specifically took photos of to scoop you!

C'mon Brent.

You know by now that it's hard to scoop TCD.

A few have been able to, but not many.

And dont't worry about it. If you have photos similar to mine, post them anyway. I will still give you credit for taking them.

:yay: Multiple updates. Great work.

I really like the artwork for the new FW merchandise. WTG on being the first to take photos.

Thanks, KFK.

I try.

Geez, it seems I am late to the party. Page 4, I feel like such a slacker! Great as usual, TCD.

Don't feel bad, Lynn.

You got in on the second day.

This one got off to a fast start.

I'm glad that you are along for the ride!

I know what you mean. I could go for #7 right now. And I am only 48. :)

Oh wait - you mean TR posts. I thought you meant children. Nevermind.

No, I most definitely did not mean children!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

First off, I think this is the fastest that I caught up on a TCD report. Second, are the people who stay in the teepee's native american? Just curious.

And last but not least, when we were there I was talking to my friend Susan who fills in at the HDDR and she said they aren't getting the crowds like they used to and they aren't sure if it is going to last. Also, she said that the reason for the castmember changes, is that they are slowly getting rid of the professional singers and actors when their contracts are up and going back to the college kids and amateur performers because it's cheaper.

I know they were slow, because one night as I was walking out of Crockett's the cast told me and a couple other people milling around to come in and watch the show, but I had to get back to the camper.

Hopefully its gets busy again, because I do want to see it one day.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks, Norm.

About the tee-pees, no these are not Native Americans. They are just folks who have a weird love of tee-pees. Here's a link to their website, where you can read all about who they are and what they are about: http://www.tipis.org/lodge_owners.htm If you read that, you will see that they have been visiting tthe Fort for Thanksgiving for years.

That is some interesting info you heard about the HDDR. I know that earlier this year they did not renew the contract of the actor who was the hands down favorite of all of us here who played Six Bits. But they have not lowered the price. Kind of dumb. I never underestimate Disney's ability to make money. I would be real surprised to see the HDDR fold. But I would not be surprised to see it be further reduced in quality. I am sure they will figure something out. They always do.

Yay :jumpforjoy Another trip report.

Well, I'm glad this TR makes you jump for joy!

3 updates in one day that's a record here I think so as usual TCD YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

I do rock!

That's how I roll.

You are preaching to the choir here Brother Dave. I am often confused by the ways of Disney. If attendence has dropped off, wouldn't the normal business person reduce the price or create some type of incentive to draw customers? My observation is that the Dining Plan has become a gold mine for them, and they don't really care to do anything to attract guests who pay out of pocket. We used to enjoy the sit down restaurants, but now there is no way that I will pay those prices. So, we enjoy the take out from Trail's End and lots of the quick serve places on property, and eat a lot at our site. It works for us, but I would definitely patronize the full service places if the prices were more in line with reality.

TCD

I must reiterate...Woo hoo!

I heard you the first time, but thanks!

Please feel free to Woo Hoo all you like.

I appreciate the encouragement.

How can we nag with three updates in one day? And we definitely can't call you a slacker!

Hah!

No nagging!

But don't expect three updates every day.

We enjoyed your Dutch Oven.

Dang!

I got to see Dave's Dutch Oven in action at the beginning of the festivities on Wednesday night, but I got dragged off to the MK after that, and never got to taste the cobbler. It sure looked and smelled great when I saw it.

Rockin' report so far! It's making me more and more excited about our trip in March.... :banana:

Thanks, Leslie.

I am excited about your trip in March, too.

Maybe we can finally meet up!

Loving your trip report, TCD! You got some great pictures! I'd love to see those tee-pees set up. Maybe next year! We are kicking around staying for Thanksgiving next time.

The tee-pees are pretty awesome.

I still think we like Halloween the best, but Thanksgiving is a very close second for our favorite time to visit the Fort.

I had a license plate holder that I purchased in a previous trip (Jessica Rabbit no less..said, "I don't drive bad, it only looks that way") and when I went for my inspection sticker in Maine, they said that they couldn't give me one unless I took off the plate holder. Why??? I might cover your tag stickers....it wasn't but I still had to take it off myself and go back to get my sticker.

Nancy

Wow. So that's three states where these frames are illegal.

NC has outlawed plate holders too.

Make that four states where the frames are illegal.

Too bad.

Just caught up on this GREAT GREAT Five Star Over the top FUN Trip Report!

BTW I like the new Fort Wilderness merchandise. :).

Thank, you sir!

I am glad you are enjoying the report.

I hope that you will soon be back to the Fort to add some Fort Wilderness clothing to your South Carolina collection!

TCD

I have to chime in on the HDDR a little bit. I've been going several times a year for at least 7 years now. In all those years, I've never seen anyone in the balcony for the late show. However... this summer I was there for work and went with a coworker. We chose the 9:30 show... and this is what the crowd looked like. I was completely shocked. This was also the night that they removed the HDD Polka and replaced it with the new song, so I at least expected some people there to hear that. Have they finally priced themselves out of the fried chicken market?

379472_575537676185_46402462_31322288_436547972_n.jpg

Well, it's high time for an update, right?

So let's go!

It's still Monday morning.

The girls are still asleep.

They can really sleep these days.

I let them sleep this morning- we had been on the go since Saturday, and they needed it.

Plus, it gave me time to work on getting the site decorated.

I didn't put as many decorations out this year as I have in the past. The reason was that I was not sure at this point in our trip whether we would be able to stay for all 5 nights as planned, or if we would be going home earlier. Mrs. TCD thought it would be nice for our family to spend some time together over the Thanksgiving break, and she wanted us to come home when my oldest daughter made it home from FSU. But my oldest daughter had a lot to do, and wasn't sure when she would be home. She thought Tuesday night. So, Mrs. TCD suggested we ought to come home on Wednesday. We didn't like that idea, but I told Mrs. TCD that we would do that if my oldest made it home Tuesday night. The way things went was that my college DD didn't ultimately get home until late on Wednesday, so we were able to stick with our plan of staying for the five nights. But I didn't know that yet.

So, I did a moderate amount of decorating.

The first decoration that went up was this:

IMG_1415.jpg

That's my Gator camping gnome.

S70 and Trevor gave it to me on our last trip.

I added the Red Solo Cup.

That's what you call a tribute!

Then I broke out the inflatables.

Here's what went up front:

IMG_1390.jpg

And here's what went out back:

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

I don't know why I took so many photos of the back. I think that I was trying to show the view from the four way stop.

And, also, you can see that a guy in an orange vest was lurking around our site.

He was a landscape worker- he and another guy were spraying herbicide all around the sites. They are still trying to keep the underbrush from growing up around the sites.

Here's a shot of one of them taken from our camper door:

IMG_1396.jpg

While I was decorating, I had some visitors.

It was AuburnJen and CJ and Argent!

And, Jen came bearing a gift.

My very own Fort Fiends t-shirt!

Thanks, Jen!

After all of this, the girls finally stirred.

And, we headed out for some late morning looping.

I saw this inflatable on the 1100 loop. I don't recall seeing this design before:

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

They are selling these at Lowe's this year.

I kind of like it.

We saw another new to us inflatable on the 1700 loop. This one:

IMG_1399.jpg

That's USF"s mascot, Rocky the Bull. I never knew his name was Rocky, but the TCD twins recently went to some kind of conference over at USF, and came back telling me about all the I Heart Rocky stuff they had for sale over there. As most of you know, the TCD dog is named Rocky. So the girls want to get some of that USF gear. Also note that Rocky is making the "bull" sign with his hand. They do that at USF. Yes, they stole it from Texas! Anyway, this is the first Rocky the Bull inflatable I have ever seen, and I liked it.

Rocky was right across from these folks:

IMG_1400.jpg

You may recognize those decorations. These folks stay for a few months every year. They are always on the same site on the 1700 loop. We met them last Thanksgiving. Very nice people.

Here we are on the 1900 loop. These folks had two tents on their site, one of which was very far off of the tent pad, and in a low area. They are very lucky it didn't rain much while they had their tent in that low area:

IMG_1402.jpg

This Santa helicopter inflatable was on the 1900 loop too:

IMG_1405.jpg

This guy with the souped-up car seems to be around every Thanksgiving:

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

That car is a little on the loud side, and we could always hear him as he came and left the Fort.

We saw this meeting of the minds going on on the 1800 loop:

IMG_1408.jpg

I think they were debating where to put a picnic table.

And all three of them were being paid for that!

This site on the 1800 loop had a nice big turkey and a bunch of fake carved pumpkins. Somebody must have gotten a new skill saw last Christmas:

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

It looks like I handed the camera over to twin #1 to take those last two photos, because look what happened next:

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

It's a good thing I got the camera back right then, or else my memory card would have been full of those types of photos.

I kid you not.

We looped through the 700 loop, and got this photo of the hitchiking ghosts set out in front of Jeannie's site (733):

IMG_1416.jpg

Note the hats and bow ties.

I love it!

This hunting Mickey was also on Jeannies site, as it is every year:

IMG_1417.jpg

I love that one!

Good job, Jeannie!

After our late morning loop, the girls hit the showers, and we got ready to strike out on our first adventure of the day.

We were planning to head over to the MK for those waffle sandwiches we learned about on our Halloween visit.

TCD