TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving at the Fort Trip Report

I have to chime in on the HDDR a little bit. I've been going several times a year for at least 7 years now. In all those years, I've never seen anyone in the balcony for the late show. However... this summer I was there for work and went with a coworker. We chose the 9:30 show... and this is what the crowd looked like. I was completely shocked. This was also the night that they removed the HDD Polka and replaced it with the new song, so I at least expected some people there to hear that. Have they finally priced themselves out of the fried chicken market?

379472_575537676185_46402462_31322288_436547972_n.jpg

Wow, Brent!

So were you sitting at a table, and the rest of the room was empty like that?

I had to idea that attendence was that bad!

I also didn't know you went to the HDDR so much.

Do you have a CM friend or something?

It costs more that a night's campsite rental to eat there!

TCD

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit as the mother of 4 young children I can't even imagine what the day will be like when our kids go on "an adventure" without parental supervision. Most of our trips are more like your Hal

Somethings just can't be topped.. and you my friend are the winner for today.. :bellringer:

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my

The first decoration that went up was this:

IMG_1415.jpg

TCD

:bighug: Awww, I love it! Gator gnome looks right at home with a red solo cup!

Thanks for the tribute.

And this folks, is why I luv me some TCD! :heart:

Those spray guys did the same thing on one of our visits. It kind of creeped me out a little because they were literally next to our screen room. There were 2 of them talking back and forth (NO, I have no idea what they were saying) I kind of felt like they were being stalkish, but acting like they were working, so it was ok.

(Yeah, I know, "stalkish" probably isn't a real word, but it's a Stef word, and I like it.)

Twin #1 did a great job on those pictures! You guys are so darn cute.

Wow, Brent!

So were you sitting at a table, and the rest of the room was empty like that?

I had to idea that attendence was that bad!

I also didn't know you went to the HDDR so much.

Do you have a CM friend or something?

It costs more that a night's campsite rental to eat there!

TCD

Right. That's where we were sitting and the rest of the room behind us was completely empty. It, honestly, ruined the show. There couldn't have been more than 40 people in the room so it wasn't very lively and the energy wasn't there to keep the cast going. I was mostly sorry for my coworker who had never seen the show before.

One day I'll tell the story of my WDW connections, but they're nothing exciting. I used to contract out my services for WDW so I got to know a lot of people. A friend of mine actually performed in the show for quite a few years. She's long gone now, but those were good times. It seems like every time a group of us goes to WDW, that's what they want to do. So we do. It's not inexpensive, but if you're not paying for 5 the price for dinner is a lot easier to stomach.

Congrats TCD DD on getting published! That is awesome!

My B.S. is from UCF and I LOVED living in Orlando. I thought it was the perfect distance from home, because like your DD's I am close to my family but I was still able to live in a dorm and have that aspect of the college experience. However my BF went to USF (booooo, go Knights!) and he loved it there- and lived at home to save money. One negative about living in Orlando, it is EXPENSIVE!!! I never realized how much money I spent on theme parks, going out to eat (million and 1 places to eat in Orlando), outlet malls, regular malls, and more until I moved to Gainesville which has a limited supply of shopping venues and places to eat. I am sure my dad was happy when I moved to Gainesville!

my family visited Devil's Tower in South Dakota on our out west trip. Devil's Tower is sacred to the Plains Indian tribes and while we were there some kind of month-long sacred event was going on and several red cloths and bundles were hanging in the trees (like the ones on top of the teepees). They called them prayer cloths. It was really neat to experince it and converse with the native americans and learn about the history from authentic people.

:bighug: Awww, I love it! Gator gnome looks right at home with a red solo cup!

Thanks for the tribute.

And this folks, is why I luv me some TCD! :heart:

Those spray guys did the same thing on one of our visits. It kind of creeped me out a little because they were literally next to our screen room. There were 2 of them talking back and forth (NO, I have no idea what they were saying) I kind of felt like they were being stalkish, but acting like they were working, so it was ok.

(Yeah, I know, "stalkish" probably isn't a real word, but it's a Stef word, and I like it.)

Twin #1 did a great job on those pictures! You guys are so darn cute.

Yes, those guys are a bit creepy. The TCD twins said they stared too much. And any staring at the TCD twins is too much.

I'm glad that you liked the tribute.

DaveInTn noticed it, and understood exactly what it was without any need for explanation. He also wanted to know if the troll gnome was life sized. I told him that I wasn't sure. I know that you are taller than a Red Solo Cup, but I am not sure by how much. I think the troll gnome is pretty close to life sized. Is it?

Right. That's where we were sitting and the rest of the room behind us was completely empty. It, honestly, ruined the show. There couldn't have been more than 40 people in the room so it wasn't very lively and the energy wasn't there to keep the cast going. I was mostly sorry for my coworker who had never seen the show before.

One day I'll tell the story of my WDW connections, but they're nothing exciting. I used to contract out my services for WDW so I got to know a lot of people. A friend of mine actually performed in the show for quite a few years. She's long gone now, but those were good times. It seems like every time a group of us goes to WDW, that's what they want to do. So we do. It's not inexpensive, but if you're not paying for 5 the price for dinner is a lot easier to stomach.

OK- now you and I do need to meet up. I want to hear about your WDW connections!

I can imagine that the vibe in the show is bad when there is that small of a crowd. The audience interaction is my favorite thing about the show.

a sad site....a sad site indeed

Yes, it was a sad sight.

Hey, while you're here, I have a question for you-

Is that bird a friend of yours?

He was hanging around that dock looking sad.

I thought maybe you feed him chicken skin or something.

TCD

My B.S. is from UCF and I LOVED living in Orlando. I thought it was the perfect distance from home, because like your DD's I am close to my family but I was still able to live in a dorm and have that aspect of the college experience. However my BF went to USF (booooo, go Knights!) and he loved it there- and lived at home to save money. One negative about living in Orlando, it is EXPENSIVE!!! I never realized how much money I spent on theme parks, going out to eat (million and 1 places to eat in Orlando), outlet malls, regular malls, and more until I moved to Gainesville which has a limited supply of shopping venues and places to eat. I am sure my dad was happy when I moved to Gainesville!

my family visited Devil's Tower in South Dakota on our out west trip. Devil's Tower is sacred to the Plains Indian tribes and while we were there some kind of month-long sacred event was going on and several red cloths and bundles were hanging in the trees (like the ones on top of the teepees). They called them prayer cloths. It was really neat to experince it and converse with the native americans and learn about the history from authentic people.

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for the kind words about my oldest DD. She is really doing well. She was just chosen to be an Orientation Leader for the incoming Freshman this summer. This is a pretty big deal, as over 500 applied, and they picked around 30. Plus she gets free room and board and will get paid this Summer. Woo Hoo!

I would love it if the twins went to UCF. They will definitely apply there. I never thought about the possibility of added expense. My oldest DD does a pretty good job spending money in Tallahasee. Twin #1 really wants to be a Gator, so it's good to know Gainesville is cheaper than Orlando. I know it was for me long ago when I was there- and I didn't have any money to spend anyway. Wherever they go, I hope they go to the same college. They don't agree with that, but I still hope that they do.

Thanks for the info on the Native Americans. I am sure all of the stuff they have hanging from their tee pees has some type of meaning or purpose. I have chatted with these folks before, and some of them are very much in to all of that. The ones I have chatted with a bit too much so.

TCD

Yes, it was a sad sight.

Hey, while you're here, I have a question for you-

Is that bird a friend of yours?

He was hanging around that dock looking sad.

I thought maybe you feed him chicken skin or something.

TCD

He's no friend of mine, as you see in the million and one pictures that have been posted of me fishing on that dock (seems like everyone gets the same picture) I lean on the rail a lot. That and other birds like to walk on the rail too inevitably leaving their mark, I have learned to watch where I lean. Hence, no friend

And any staring at the TCD twins is too much.

I agree!! :argh:

I think the gnome is pretty close to life sized. Is it?

Very close...but I think I've got him by an inch, maybe even two. :raspberry:

TCD

I am thankful that my oldest DD does not attend college further away. It is nice to be able to visit her on a weekend trip.

TCD

Yes sir! Truer words have never been spoken.

btw, that was close. I was targeting page 6 on yet another epic TCD TR, and I barely made it. :)

He's no friend of mine, as you see in the million and one pictures that have been posted of me fishing on that dock (seems like everyone gets the same picture) I lean on the rail a lot. That and other birds like to walk on the rail too inevitably leaving their mark, I have learned to watch where I lean. Hence, no friend

I knew I had seen that bird before.

Maybe we need a scare crow egret for your dock.

And you're not kidding about the million and one photos with you and the bird.

I thought it was quite the accomplishment for me to get a photo of your dock without you on it.

Yes sir! Truer words have never been spoken.

btw, that was close. I was targeting page 6 on yet another epic TCD TR, and I barely made it. :)

Hey, at least you made it.

You haven't missed much.

It's still just Monday morning, and we just arrived the night before.

This thing is really just getting started!

TCD

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for the kind words about my oldest DD. She is really doing well. She was just chosen to be an Orientation Leader for the incoming Freshman this summer. This is a pretty big deal, as over 500 applied, and they picked around 30. Plus she gets free room and board and will get paid this Summer. Woo Hoo!

I would love it if the twins went to UCF. They will definitely apply there. I never thought about the possibility of added expense. My oldest DD does a pretty good job spending money in Tallahasee. Twin #1 really wants to be a Gator, so it's good to know Gainesville is cheaper than Orlando. I know it was for me long ago when I was there- and I didn't have any money to spend anyway. Wherever they go, I hope they go to the same college. They don't agree with that, but I still hope that they do.

Thanks for the info on the Native Americans. I am sure all of the stuff they have hanging from their tee pees has some type of meaning or purpose. I have chatted with these folks before, and some of them are very much in to all of that. The ones I have chatted with a bit too much so.

TCD

Wow congrats! That sounds like fun... showing off your school that you love so much to all the new students :)

Orlando has so many unique/fun/cool things to do or places to eat at that Gainesville doesn't (we loved Cafe Tu Tu Tango on I-Drive). The fun stuff I did in Gainesville was usaully a lot cheaper than Disney, Universal, outlet malls, Sea World, etc. In Gainesville I went to nature parks and floated down rivers in tubes... more tree hugger type stuff. And in Gainesville the bars are all right there, walking distance from your dorm. In Orlando we would go out in downtown Orlando- pay for parking, sometimes a cab to get all the way there, drinks are more expensive (I rarely drink but they are pricey). However, I also LOVE Gainesville beacuse that was my dream school and Gainesville has that college town feel that UCF does not. I always tell people I loved both schools for different reasons UF has the old SEC feel and is in a college town and UCF has the new modern feel in a city. There is also a rumor that UCF was designed by some old Disney blue prints or something? (the campus is set up in a circle) I wonder if this is true?

My apartment in Gainesville was way more expensive than Orlando. Probably because I lived right by Norman Hall and could walk or ride my bike from my apartment and was next to Sorority row. When it comes time for them to tour schools let me know if you need info on UCF or UF, places to live etc.! I think they should go to the same school too ;)

My Master Thesis was on Native American education so I have an interest in Native American studies :)

If they charged no more than $40 for an adult, and $25 or so for kids, to see the show, I'd go every time we visit the Fort. But as much as I enjoy it, I'm not shelling out $400 for dinner. I'm even done with most of the sit down places. Ohana was $227 for dinner. I just can't afford that...much less feel that it is worth it. Good thing I enjoy Captain Cooks and Roaring Forks. I also enjoy my crockpot.

Totally agree, seems like the Disney sit down meals are so overpriced. We have been fortunate to be on the free dining on four different trips in the last few years. Those were fun trips, but it only reinforced that I would NEVER pay the actual prices they charge when we arent on the free dining. So on trips with no free dining we strictly stick to the counter service places.......heck sometimes we get better food at the counter service places then the sit down ones!

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for stopping by.

TCD

They probably would like the opportunity to not be a "twin" for a few years.

I just have to jump in here.......We did a big trip out west four years ago and we also went to Devils Tower!!! We did the hike around the base and there was no one else around, it was so peaceful and amazing. Most people have never even heard of Devils Tower, even though it is our countries very first National Monument!

At Wind Cave National Monument (located between Hot Springs and Custer, SD) the Sioux Elders also put prayer flags at the natural entrance to the cave. It is a scared place, the Sioux came from the ground their (I thinks that's how it was put to us).

Great update TCD!! This report even more than your others has made me VERY homesick for the fort..... From 2002-2009 we spent every Thanksgiving at the fort. With my oldest in college, he only gets four days off and since we are in NH, it just doesnt seem to be a good time to go anymore. It was great to see all the different pictures you took of the sites. There were quite a few decorations that I remember from our trips. For sure, I remember the hunting Mickey that you said was on "Jeannies site". My boys and I always wondered where she got that Mickey. He is so neat. In our debates we decided that she must have worked at The Disney Store and got him from a display there. We made a day visit to the fort for the Forth of July parade back in 2006 and I am pretty sure he was on display then too, holding a flag. I also loved the Tee Pee photos, as we always rode our bikes over there to take a peek at their set-up. Have I already said how much I miss the fort??? Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next update!

Heidi

I just realized that I forgot to say what I was thankful for in my last update.

So, I'll say it here - I am thankful for Fiends bearing gifts.

Thanks for the t-shirt, Jen!

Now, let's get another update in before the weekend hits. After this, it is probably going to be Monday before I can post some more. But that gives everyone a chance to catch up. And, if you haven't already done so, I urge you to check out all of the other active trip reports which are currently being written. There are some really excellent ones under way, some from first time trip report writers. Go ahead and read their reports and post some words of encouragement. It's a lot of work to post a trip report, and the least we can all do is read them and post some comments. That's what makes this Board rock!

Now, back to this trip report . . .

Monday morning had turned in to Monday afternoon. The plan was to head to the MK for lunch. We were thinking about those new waffle sandwiches at the Sleepy Hollow quick serve place. But, one of the DD's also brought up trying the new Tortuga Tavern. We have never eaten there either. I didn't have a strong preference. We decided to head over and see how things looked.

It was a really warm day, maybe 80 degrees already. On November 21!

There were folks parasailing and having a great time on Bay Lake:

IMG_1419.jpg

I was really surprised when I saw these photos on my memory card. One of the twins took them. I didn't know that there was a male model on our boat:

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

On closer inspection, I realized that is not a male model, it's just me. But you can certainly understand my mistake.

We were the only passengers on this boat to the MK:

IMG_1424.jpg

That doesn't happen very often, and I was surprised it was happening on Thanksgiving week.

You know I took a lot of photos of the shoe tree, but I'll spare you and just post one: IMG_1427.jpg

Ditto on the Discovery Island shipwreck:

IMG_1430.jpg

There were clouds building in the sky. The forecast called for some rain in the early afternoon and then clear skies. Initially, the rain held off.

Here's a nice shot of the castle from that early afternoon:

IMG_1431.jpg

Just for fun, here's a photo of the castle taken not even a month earlier, on Halloween day, October 31st:

IMG_0816.jpg

Notice how all of the fall stuff has been swapped out, and now the color scheme is now geared toward Christmas.

Well, sure enough, it was right after this that it began to rain.

Not too hard, but hard enough.

We decided to head over to Tortuga Tavern. I know that they have indoor seating there.

I thought I ordered beef tacos, but it turns out they don't have tacos there any more (I think they used to). I ended up with beef nachos. Twin #1 got those too, and Twin #2 got a burrtio. We got to use the toppings bar- which was really just shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream. Big deal.

The food was fine, but not remarkable.

We headed out from there through the Pecos Bill restaurant toward Frontierland. It was still raining, and folks were just loitering inside the buildings. We headed over to the Christmas shop as the girls had spotted Christmas antenna toppers that they liked there when they visited yesterday.

It was still raining after we had completed our purchase.

And it was crowded.

So we bailed.

When we got to the dock, we saw the Fort boat leaving, and the WL boat pulling up.

The girls thought some ice cream at WL sounded good, so we took the WL boat.

Here's some shots of the rain (it was raining, but you can't really see that in these photos):

IMG_1432.jpg

You see those poinsettia trees there in the entry area? I like those:

IMG_1433.jpg

Even though the rain was coming down pretty good, we could see that the storm was already breaking up. Look at the blue sky above the Grand Floridian:

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

Here's a nice monorail shot for you:

IMG_1436.jpg

And another look at the Grand Floridian with the big storm over head:

IMG_1437.jpg

The storm was breaking up over the MK too:

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

You can see blue in the sky above the Contemporary resort here:

IMG_1440.jpg

I like this shot of the monorail coming out of the Contemporary- I think the clouds look cool:

IMG_1441.jpg

By the time we got to the Lodge, the rain had all but stopped.

Unfortunately, the ice cream machine was out of order, so the girls got something from the bakery instead.

We spent some time enjoying the Lodge's decorations.

I'll admit their tree is big, but I like ours better:

IMG_1444.jpg

How come the Lodge has totem poles, but all of the totem poles at the Fort are gone?:

IMG_1445.jpg

I wonder what happened to the Fort's totem poles, anyway?

Since we were in the lobby area, we decided to take the bus back to the Fort.

We had great luck with transportation all week. A bus came by right away, and we headed over to the Fort.

Our cart was at the marina, where we left it.

This cart was parked near us. Check it out:

IMG_1446.jpg

Make sure you notice the little sign there behind the front seat- it says something about the campfire.

And on back, they had Chip and Dale:

IMG_1447.jpg

From here, we decided to do a little looping on our way back to camp.

I'm sure that you have all seen campers make Mickey heads out of pine cones around the Fort.

But have any of you ever seen this?:

IMG_1448.jpg

Take a closer look:

IMG_1449.jpg

They used coquina from the coquina pad, sand from the beach (or maybe tetherball court), rocks, and what looks like it might be coffee beans to create this.

Awesome!

Here's a look at what appears to be coffee beans. I'm not sure what the tongue was:

IMG_1450.jpg

Remember we saw the USF mascot?

I had never seen that one before.

I saw another new to me one on the 1300 loop.

The Virginia Tech Hokie!:

IMG_1452.jpg

I guess a Hokie is a turkey?

Nice fearsome mascot!

Gobble! Gobble!

By the time we got back to camp, it was already late afternoon.

I had to hang a bunch of stuff that got wet up, but it wasn't too bad.

We hung out around camp and didn't do much.

We were pacing ourselves.

As evening approached, it finally cleared up.

The skies looked nice over the Meadow and the Tennis Court and pool:

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

And, it wasn't long after this that the sun had set on our second day at the Fort.

But, we had a big evening planned.

We were going to head over to Hollywood Studios to see the Osborne Lights.

And more.

It was EMH there on Monday night.

From 9 till midnight.

Piece of cake.

I am thankful for the rain that we had on Monday afternoon, as we can always use rain in Florida, but I am more thankful that there was no more rain for the rest of our visit.

TCD

My Master Thesis was on Native American education so I have an interest in Native American studies :)

It's very cool that you did your thesis on Native American education. I lived and taught on a Native American Indian Reservation for a couple of years right out of college. It was very interesting to me to learn about and be immersed in their culture. It was a great experience!

Great trip report TCD! I always enjoy reading along on your trip reports and can't wait to read more...

There is also a rumor that UCF was designed by some old Disney blue prints or something? (the campus is set up in a circle) I wonder if this is true?

I think they should go to the same school too ;)

Thanks, Ashley!

I never heard about a Disney connection with UCF. I do know that it hasn't been around that long, and that it used to be called Florida Tech. My Wife's Sister went to college there when it was called Florida Tech.

Be sure to check back later on this report, you might be of assistance in taking a look at the old relics I found.

Totally agree, seems like the Disney sit down meals are so overpriced. We have been fortunate to be on the free dining on four different trips in the last few years. Those were fun trips, but it only reinforced that I would NEVER pay the actual prices they charge when we arent on the free dining. So on trips with no free dining we strictly stick to the counter service places.......heck sometimes we get better food at the counter service places then the sit down ones!

I have not done a free dining trip yet, but man am I tempted.

More and more it seems like that danged Dining Plan is the whole focus of WDW management.

They probably would like the opportunity to not be a "twin" for a few years.

I think you're right about that.

But, I'm not sure how much they would like being separated.

It will all work itself out.

I just have to jump in here.......We did a big trip out west four years ago and we also went to Devils Tower!!! We did the hike around the base and there was no one else around, it was so peaceful and amazing. Most people have never even heard of Devils Tower, even though it is our countries very first National Monument!

Devil's Tower- that's the one the aliens landed on in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, right?

At Wind Cave National Monument (located between Hot Springs and Custer, SD) the Sioux Elders also put prayer flags at the natural entrance to the cave. It is a scared place, the Sioux came from the ground their (I thinks that's how it was put to us).

Native Americans are pretty cool.

I like to hear this kind of stuff. The culture they had was amazing. And the idiot Euros just slaughtered them.

Great update TCD!! This report even more than your others has made me VERY homesick for the fort..... From 2002-2009 we spent every Thanksgiving at the fort. With my oldest in college, he only gets four days off and since we are in NH, it just doesnt seem to be a good time to go anymore. It was great to see all the different pictures you took of the sites. There were quite a few decorations that I remember from our trips. For sure, I remember the hunting Mickey that you said was on "Jeannies site". My boys and I always wondered where she got that Mickey. He is so neat. In our debates we decided that she must have worked at The Disney Store and got him from a display there. We made a day visit to the fort for the Forth of July parade back in 2006 and I am pretty sure he was on display then too, holding a flag. I also loved the Tee Pee photos, as we always rode our bikes over there to take a peek at their set-up. Have I already said how much I miss the fort??? Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next update!

Heidi

Heidi- I'm sorry that you miss the Fort (I think that's what you are trying to say). But, I hope this report will help.

Stay tuned for a lot more decoration photos.

And, Jeannie got that Mickey from the castmember store that they have at WDW (I always hear people call it Property Control). It is an old prop from somewhere, and it is one of her prized possessions.

It's very cool that you did your thesis on Native American education. I lived and taught on a Native American Indian Reservation for a couple of years right out of college. It was very interesting to me to learn about and be immersed in their culture. It was a great experience!

Great trip report TCD! I always enjoy reading along on your trip reports and can't wait to read more...

Good!

Another expert on Native American stuff.

I may need you to take a look at some photos later on.

TCD

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my own... it makes me sad that this is not taught in all school districts and most Americans do not know about the extreme assimilation many Native American children and adults went through. I would love to teach on or near a reserve for a year or two!

I was so hoping you or the girls tried the nutella & fruit waffle! I'll admit that I drooled a little when Monique posted the picture on the dining thread. I guess I will have to make the sacrifice and eat one for the FF team. (For review purposes only)

The nature Mickey is amazing!! I've seen tons of the pine cone ones, but that is original, for sure!

I wanted to whistle, cheer and do some catcalling at the male model on your boat, but I don't want people to think I'm some kind of pervert.