TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving at the Fort Trip Report

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit as the mother of 4 young children I can't even imagine what the day will be like when our kids go on "an adventure" without parental supervision. Most of our trips are more like your Hal

Somethings just can't be topped.. and you my friend are the winner for today.. :bellringer:

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my

I hope everybody is still here.

Because we're not done yet.

Heck, I haven't even packed the camper yet!

I'm still down at the horse barn.

But, I'm heading back to camp.

First, we will be heading over to Trail's End for some coffee.

I thought that I might run into Donnie there.

But I didn't.

As I left the barn area, I snapped this photo of the area right across from the Blacksmith shop. Over the past few years, a variety of survey flags have popped up around here, which led to speculation, which was later confirmed that something is going to be happening in this area. Today, there is just one lone flag over there between the two trees on the left of the photo:

IMG_2050.jpg

I paid my final visit to Trail's End for this trip.

As you can see, I was the only one there. People get off to a slow start on Black Friday at the Fort:

IMG_2052.jpg

Here's a nice shot of Pioneer Hall:

IMG_2053.jpg

And another shot of the empty porch:

IMG_2054.jpg

I had to take a couple of last shots of the Christmas tree. I hoped then, and I hope now that I will see it again this year, but you never know:

IMG_2056.jpg

As I have already said, most of the resorts have much bigger Christmas trees than the Fort.

But, I will take this tree any day over any of the others. I love the whole setting.

Disney is known for its attention to detail, and that attention to detail can be seen on this tree. It is just loaded with decorations:

IMG_2057.jpg

I hope that you took the time to appreciate all of the detail- the lights, ornaments, bows, etc. Note how this tree has an equine theme, which is perfect for the Fort. Do you see the little horses and the horse shoes?

Here's a close up of one of the horse shoes:

IMG_2058.jpg

I love these little lanterns with the flame lights. These actually light up:

IMG_2061.jpg

I heard a motor running on the beach, so I decided to go over and see if one of my old friends was over there.

Sure enough, he was. You can see him driving his little tractor up from the beach:

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

This guy has worked at the Fort for as long as I have visited. If you ever see a big white truck driving around the Fort, chances are he will be driving it. I have also seen him driving the big garbage truck that collects the trash bags from the loops, and moving picnic tables around with a fork-lift. He always will smile and wave, but that's it. He's not one to chat. But I appreciate him just the same.

Here's a photo of the Clementine's Beach sign, and Discovery Island in the background. You can see that the sun is just beginning to hit the trees on the beach, but Discovery Island is in the full sun already:

IMG_2065.jpg

Here is the nicely raked beach ready for another day of visitors:

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

Now I'm heading back to camp.

I don't think I posted a photo of the decorations on the Bay Lake side of Trail's End, so here you go:

IMG_2068.jpg

As I leave the area, I looked up the path toward the Settlement Bus Stop- there are a couple of buses waiting there, but no people are around at all:

IMG_2069.jpg

One ticket window is open, but nobody is buying tickets this early in the morning:

IMG_2070.jpg

We saw it from the other side, so here is another shot of Pioneer Hall from this side:

IMG_2071.jpg

Here's the DVC kiosk that we saw some guys working on earlier. There's the new sign and new slogan. The blue thing you see there is a broken hula hoop. I suspect Donnie did it:

IMG_2072.jpg

I forgot that golf carts are not allowed down the path behind the Settlement Trading Post, and I missed the sign.

So, I headed toward the 300 loop down that path.

I surprised a set of twin fawns (look right in the center of the photo-straight up the path):

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

Since I was in the area, I had to stop and snap a couple of photos of my spot:

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

I love the reflections in those shots.

It is strange to me how the Bay Lake Tower's reflection can be seen on the other side of Discovery Island.

How does that work?

I headed out via the 300 loop.

And ran into this campsite:

IMG_2077.jpg

It's a good thing they put up that sign saying Florida State Fans Live Here. I would not have figured that out otherwise.

So, now we are heading back to get packed.

But, first I need to see what is going on on the 1500 loop.

Remember, this is where I wanted to camp, but was told that it was full.

It seemed like there were empty sites on this loop all week.

But, last night it filled up.

Totally.

And, about half the loop was occupied by a group who all had these identical little flags in front of their sites with their family's name:

IMG_2078.jpg

They seemed like nice enough people.

They were organized too. They had this whiteboard up to tell everyone in their group what was up:

IMG_2080.jpg

Here's another photo showing the little flags:

IMG_2081.jpg

This is one of the sites of the group. These folks look like they knew how to party:

IMG_2082.jpg

This is another site from that group. These folks brought a tiki bar!

IMG_2083.jpg

So, they didn't let me camp in the 1500 loop because this group was checking in on Thursday. I presume they stayed through Sunday. One of the members of the group was there earlier in the week, and had a good sized travel trailer there on the 1500 loop, in one of the sites backing up to the canal. I didn't like this. They normally don't put groups on the 1500 loop, but I have seen them do it every now and then. I wish that they wouldn't. It's a small loop, and by allowing one group to take over more than half of it, a lot of other folks who weren't in the group got shoved over to the 2000 loop, which was had its normal assortment of groups and loud campers. Of course, I was able to avoid all of that, but I would have rather been on the 1500 loop.

From here, I went back to my site to get packing.

And that is what I did.

But then I remembered that I needed a photo of something.

So, I took one last photo run before leaving.

I'll have those photos to share in my next post.

TCD

I'm still here! :jumpforjoy

You know I don't stray far until you officially tell me it's over.

While we are on the subject of fiends meeting with fiends...I would like to sweeten the pot a bit.

If you can somehow find a way to visit on my next trip, not only will I have cold coronas, but I will also make buffalo chicken sandwiches. (No, I am not above bribery, people :)))

TCD reports ROCK! I was just at the same Fort Christmas tree less than 2 weeks ago, and never noticed the horseshoes. I think I was too busy cursing at my Guitar Hero loss. Good job on the details, as usual.

Could we please not talk about Donnie hula hooping anymore? :facepalm:

The tiki bar is too cool! I can picture me now, standing behind it (on an apple box of course) wearing a grass skirt and coconuts, serving punch in tall glasses, with rainbow colored umbrellas in them.

I sooo need a tiki bar!

The tiki bar is too cool! I can picture me now, standing behind it (on an apple box of course) wearing a grass skirt and coconuts, serving punch in tall glasses, with rainbow colored umbrellas in them.

I sooo need a tiki bar!

Geez Steph, wish I had known you wanted a Tiki bar.

When I was at Property Control not that long ago, there was one from somewhere on property, up for bid.

It probably went for next to nothing. It really caught my eye.

As I said, by this time of the morning, I should have been packing.

But, there was something that I had seen a couple of times coming and going from the Fort on this trip that I really wanted a photo of.

So, I had to go there first.

I mentioned earlier that our site was right across the street from the sidewalk that runs along the old train route that goes all the way up to the Outpost area.

Since I was so close, I headed up that sidwalk.

I noticed this earlier, but did not get a photo (but this is not what I set out to photograph):

IMG_2084.jpg

Do you see how the sidewalk has a weird configuration here?

I don't know why.

There are old maps of the Fort that show that there was a horse corral in this approximate area. I think maybe this has something to do with that.

There is still a dirt road just off to the left of this sidewalk that is used by castmembers to travel back and forth to the maintenance area. You used to be able to see that pretty clearly. But, in the past few years, they piled up a bunch of the trees that they have cut down as a part of the clearing project. Some time not long ago, they put big piles of dirt here to block the view. There are now plants and weeds growing on the dirt pile:

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

Just up the sidewalk from here, I stopped to take the photo that I had come to take.

This is it:

IMG_2088.jpg

No big deal.

It's just a giant set of mouse ears made out of pinecones, with the number 40 in it.

Do you know this year is the Fort's 40th anniversary?

Just like the rest of WDW.

But, do you know when the Fort officially opened?

It was not October 1, 1971, like the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary and Polynesian.

The Fort did not open until November 19, 1971.

So, when we checked in on this trip on November 20, we had just missed the actual 40th anniversary.

As far as I know, we did not miss any festivities.

I had not heard there were any.

I guess this big pine cone display was it.

Contrast that with the Fort's 35th anniversary.

We were there.

We got this letter on that trip:

fwltr.jpg

Can you believe that I still have that?

Did you say no?

Come on now, this is TCD!

Of course I still have that.

Or at least a scan of it.

Do you see that bit about the retro campfire on November 19th?

Well, we went to that.

And there was a big surprise there.

Do you want to know what it was?

I'll tell you anyway.

It was free s'mores.

You heard me.

Free.

S'mores.

They had tables set up with graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars. They even had sticks.

All free.

Of course, the supplies were exhausted in about 10 minutes.

But, the TCD gang got something free when they were at the Fort for the 35th anniversary.

But for the 40th, I guess all anybody got was the pleasure of looking at this pinecone display.

Maybe not as good as free s'mores, but it is still a pretty nice pine cone display.

Now, I knew I needed to go and get packing.

But, look, a hawk!:

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Here we are heading back to the 1200 loop, stopped at the 4-way, you can see that all of my decorations and even the official TCD hammock are still all in place:

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

Since I was already out, I decided I should get one more cup of coffee, and then go back and pack.

I stopped at the Meadow Trading Post.

Here's a photo of the decorations on the side porch:

IMG_2093.jpg

There was still no Bob on TnBob's dock, but I headed down there anyway.

In case you didn't know, there's a picnic table there.

I don't think Bob would mind if you used it as long as he is not at the Fort.

The view is pretty nice:

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

I sat right there and had a couple of sips of coffee.

Here's a couple of photos of the Bike Barn from there. One with the fish feeder, one without, so everybody is happy:

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

And right after this, I went back and got all packed up.

I busted my hump and got it all done pretty quick.

Then, it was time for our traditional last loop.

I said goodbye to the Fiends who were out at that time.

And we stopped one last time to admire Hilda and Jeannie's sites on the 700 loop.

Here are some shots of Hilda's decorations:

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

And these are Jeannie's:

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

I love how Jeannie has Minnie in the bathtub. She was here at Halloween with Halloween decorations. Now, it is Thanksgiving (notice the towel and flag):

IMG_2102.jpg

I'm sure it was right after this that Jeannie switched over to Christmas, but for now everything was still in Thanksgiving mode.

Check out this display on Jeannie's site:

IMG_2103.jpg

Take a minute and really look at that last photo.

Do you see all the detail there? The MK station? The castle? The hotels? The little RV's. There is a train and a monorail incorporated in this display. Why does Jeannie do this? Why do all the folks with the great decorations do it? Because they are super nice people who like to make the Fort experience better for all who visit. And that is what makes the Fort the most special and magical place in all of WDW.

I'm not done with the Jeannie site photos.

This tent with all the characters was set up on her site:

IMG_2104.jpg

And this screen room was the scene of a big Thanksgiving meal for all of these stuffed animals:

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Then it was back to my site.

My next door neighbor had just arrived on Wednesday and he was still decorating his site. He was from Ocala, and was just starting his stay as we had to pack and go:

IMG_2108.jpg

And here we are.

This is the last photo I have from the Fort.

We are all packed and ready to hitch up the trailer and head west:

IMG_2109.jpg

It was hard for me to believe that it had been less than a week ago that we were in Tallahassee for the football game.

We had a nice long visit this time.

But it was time to go.

Our Thanksgiving week wasn't over yet, though.

We had to go because we were heading to Gainesville in the morning.

To see the Gators beat the Noles in the Swamp.

That's how it has gone for a long time.

I'm going to share some bonus photos from Saturday before I finish this report.

But for now, we hitched up and left.

I had just pulled off my site when I stopped and got out to check things one last time.

That's what I do.

You would be amazed at what I have almost forgotten.

That's why I do that.

As I went back to check, a little Herbie the Love Bug cart came cruising around the loop.

It was Starbuc71.

He had been at the Fort since Wednesday.

We looked for him when we were looping.

But we just ran in to each other as I was leaving.

We had a brief chat.

And then we were gone.

Our Thanksgiving trip to the Fort was over.

But a great time was had by all.

I just have one batch of photos from Saturday to share.

And then this one will be done.

TCD

I'm still here! :jumpforjoy

You know I don't stray far until you officially tell me it's over.

While we are on the subject of fiends meeting with fiends...I would like to sweeten the pot a bit.

If you can somehow find a way to visit on my next trip, not only will I have cold coronas, but I will also make buffalo chicken sandwiches. (No, I am not above bribery, people :)))

TCD reports ROCK! I was just at the same Fort Christmas tree less than 2 weeks ago, and never noticed the horseshoes. I think I was too busy cursing at my Guitar Hero loss. Good job on the details, as usual.

Could we please not talk about Donnie hula hooping anymore? :facepalm:

I sooo need a tiki bar!

Come on, S70, you don't need to bribe me to get me to the Fort.

Since you and Doodle are going to be there, I will see what I can do.

I thought the tiki bar was weird too, but I'm with you, it would be fun to have a real bar at the Fort.

Still here and enjoying it! Great updates!

I've never seen anyone bring a Tiki bar camping before. That is a first for me.

You and me both.

That's the first tiki bar I have ever seen anyone bring camping.

But the idea is growing on me.

Geez Steph, wish I had known you wanted a Tiki bar.

When I was at Property Control not that long ago, there was one from somewhere on property, up for bid.

It probably went for next to nothing. It really caught my eye.

Bummer!

I wonder if that was from the Polynesian resort?

That would have been cool to have.

TCD

FREE SMORES!? WOW!

Great site decoration photos.

I'm trying not to be sad that it's almost over. :(

That was in 2006 for the 35th.

We just got free pinecones for the 40th.

I am going to make it my personal mission to live long enough to be there for the 50th so I can come on here and complain about not gettting free s'mores.

And don't be sad!

You know the old proverb:

When one TCD Trip Report ends another one begins.

TCD

Ashley-

Thanks for the heads up about the other hand gestures. I had no idea. So, I asked the twins about this- sure enough, they knew these. They even told me one you didn't mention. It has a local flavor to it. It's called the Shiekra- when someone asks you to give them a high-five, you swoop your hand down low and say Shiekra! I know Ashley knows what Shiekra is, but for those of you who don't, it's a diving roller coaster at Busch Gardens, Tampa.

Yes, my report does overlap some with DaveInTn's. I personally like it when there are multiple trip reports covering the same time period- it gives us a look at how everyone enjoys the Fort a little differently.

I hope you make it to WDW later this month. As for the Double Decker bus, I had never seen it in operation at the MK before either. But, on our last few visits, I have noticed that they are breaking out those old vehicles during less busy times- like late at night. One night over Thanksgiving week, they had an old firetruck type vehicle giving folks rides up and down Main Street.

TCD

Great! I will try and spread "The Shiekra" up here in GA. People will have no idea what I am doing/talking about but who cares! As of right now we have one night in and are trying to get another night or 2 in.

Great! I will try and spread "The Shiekra" up here in GA. People will have no idea what I am doing/talking about but who cares! As of right now we have one night in and are trying to get another night or 2 in.

Hey- the old guy is proud of himself- I told you about a trend popular with the teens that you didn't know about.

I was also going to ask if you had heard of "Tebowing." I think we have established that I live under a rock, because I never had. Right after my girls told me about that, I read in the paper about some kids in Long Island, NY getting in trouble for Tebowing. Long Island? Really? I had no idea about this phenomenon.

Are y'all going to be at the Fort over NYE?

TCD

Free smores? Wow, you're right anything free at WDW is a bonus! I guess the economy has been hard on the Fort too, and I'm sure it didn't cost much to round up those pine cones.

Though it's not nearly as cool as the one you got a picture of, with all the different colors.

I'm so bummed about the tiki bar! How cool would that be? Not sure if Trevor would go for it though. (the hauling of it...he would surely go for me serving him :)))

I should say great final Fort post, but I hate using the "F" word. :(

Free smores? Wow, you're right anything free at WDW is a bonus! I guess the economy has been hard on the Fort too, and I'm sure it didn't cost much to round up those pine cones.

Though it's not nearly as cool as the one you got a picture of, with all the different colors.

I'm so bummed about the tiki bar! How cool would that be? Not sure if Trevor would go for it though. (the hauling of it...he would surely go for me serving him :)))

I should say great final Fort post, but I hate using the "F" word. :(

OK- I'm stumped- when did I get a picture of a pine cone with different colors?

I can see Trevor being anti-tiki bar. After all, y'all already have the perfect set-up with the punch fridge. Maybe Nathen could haul the Tiki Bar back and forth?

Or better yet, let's all go in together and buy one and set it up at the back of Fiesty's site!

She wouldn't mind.

But we would definitely all have to be prepared to hear a lot of "F" words then.

And don't you go and get sad about this trip report ending. You know they all must end some time.

And that means a new one will be starting soon!

TCD

The fort opened on my birthday -- November 19! Woohoo! I always learn something reading TCD's great trip reports!

Wow!

You have 8 grandchildren and you're getting ready to retire, and you're only 40!

You sure started young!

J/K- I never really thought about the fact that the Fort opened a month and a half after the MK.

I wonder why?

TCD

Wow!

You have 8 grandchildren and you're getting ready to retire, and you're only 40!

You sure started young!

TCD

Oh, you're such a flatterer! 6 more working days and I'm outta there ... hope to be at the fort in February ... please save a spike for me!

Oh, you're such a flatterer! 6 more working days and I'm outta there ... hope to be at the fort in February ... please save a spike for me!

Will do.

Please give me as much lead time on your dates.

As long as we have lead time, you will get spiked.

If not by me, then by Lou.

Some of the ladies prefer Lou over TCD.

I totally understand.

TCD

OK- I'm stumped- when did I get a picture of a pine cone with different colors?

Maybe this one

From here, we decided to do a little looping on our way back to camp.

I'm sure that you have all seen campers make Mickey heads out of pine cones around the Fort.

But have any of you ever seen this?:

IMG_1448.jpg

Take a closer look:

IMG_1449.jpg

They used coquina from the coquina pad, sand from the beach (or maybe tetherball court), rocks, and what looks like it might be coffee beans to create this.

Awesome!

Here's a look at what appears to be coffee beans. I'm not sure what the tongue was:

IMG_1450.jpg

In case you didn't know, there's a picnic table there.

I don't think Bob would mind if you used it as long as he is not at the Fort.

The view is pretty nice:

IMG_2094.jpg

Don't tell Bob, but on occasion, we have enjoyed a Mickey Bar or two on that dock at that very picnic table.... :clint:

Well I don't like this report coming to a end. Reading it was like still being there as we saw a lot of this report for ourselves. Thank you again for the spikes my Dad wants to build some display cases for them. It was nice talking to you this year.