TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving at the Fort Trip Report

Will do.

Please give me as much lead time on your dates.

As long as we have lead time, you will get spiked.

If not by me, then by Lou.

Some of the ladies prefer Lou over TCD.

I totally understand.

TCD

Thank you! I'd love to meet both of you. Right now we plan to arrive February 1 and leave February 15. Trip is still a little iffy because of a family situation. We are making plans but may not know until the last minute.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit as the mother of 4 young children I can't even imagine what the day will be like when our kids go on "an adventure" without parental supervision. Most of our trips are more like your Hal

Somethings just can't be topped.. and you my friend are the winner for today.. :bellringer:

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my

Some of the ladies prefer Lou over TCD.

TCD

And some of us are stingy and prefer both of them! I'm an only child, I want all the toys!

And who wouldn't prefer to recieve a spike from a 64 year old short, balding geizer.

Stop that right now!! :popo: Short is beautiful! Who cares about hair? And you are nowhere near a geezer!

Maybe this one

Thank you Memphis, that's exactly the one I was talking about. Maybe TCD's memory is fading. ;)

Ha! You thought you could distract me with this.IMG_2089.jpg

Well, I'm not that easy. It takes a squirrel! :rofl2:

It would be great if you found your way to the Fort when Stef and I are there. I just might find myself in 2 TR's. :jumpforjoy

Good job, Doodle!

Way to stay focused!

And who wouldn't prefer to recieve a spike from a 64 year old short, balding geizer.

What are you talking about?

Donnie is nowhere near 64 years old, and he doesn't have any spikes.

OK- he has one, but it won't be long before he loses it.

Maybe this one

Oh.

Thanks.

She said multi-colored pine cone.

Not multi-colored pine cone Mickey head.

Now I got it.

Good job, there, Memphis, finding that and posting it! That took some digging!

Don't tell Bob, but on occasion, we have enjoyed a Mickey Bar or two on that dock at that very picnic table.... :clint:

Thanks for the idea.

I don't think Bob would mind.

Well I don't like this report coming to a end. Reading it was like still being there as we saw a lot of this report for ourselves. Thank you again for the spikes my Dad wants to build some display cases for them. It was nice talking to you this year.

Thanks, Michael.

If your dad does build display cases, be sure to post a photo.

I would love to see what he comes up with.

Thank you! I'd love to meet both of you. Right now we plan to arrive February 1 and leave February 15. Trip is still a little iffy because of a family situation. We are making plans but may not know until the last minute.

Well, I hope all goes according to plan.

Lou or I should be able to get you a spike then.

Thank you Memphis, that's exactly the one I was talking about. Maybe TCD's memory is fading. ;)

Yes, it's true that my memory is not what it used to be, but as I said above, I was trying to remember a multi-colored pine cone, not a multi-colored pine cone Mickey head.

But now I understand, and I agree with you, that multi-colored one was really good.

TCD

What are you talking about?

Donnie is nowhere near 64 years old, and he doesn't have any spikes.

OK- he has one, but it won't be long before he loses it.

:))That's funny right there!

I am happy to report that Donnie still has his spike and it's almost ready to be mounted in his shadowbox along with his RR pin. I've seen pictures!

Yes, it's true that my memory is not what it used to be, but as I said above, I was trying to remember a multi-colored pine cone, not a multi-colored pine cone Mickey head.

But now I understand, and I agree with you, that multi-colored one was really good.

Sorry about that. Maybe I could have explained it better, but since we were talking about a pine cone Mickey head, I assumed you knew what I meant by a multicolored one. :P

TCD

Someone should start a thread where we show what we have done with our spikes. Of course, I haven't done anything with mine yet, but I have big plans! And just like my milk can Mickey lamp, it involves copying Stef's ideas.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, copy away! :heart:

Still waiting on that batch of Saturday photos you promised. I'm not nagging or rushing, just gently reminding. :heartsmiley:

I know.

I know.

The way things look at the moment, I will be posting them tomorrow!

But, on the bright side, I got to see the Fort Christmas tree again last night.

And eat a GAG on the porch.

And a friend let be borrow a golf cart, and we got to see all of the great Christmas decorations around the Fort.

It's good to be TCD.

TCD

So since i haven't checked in yet and it is now 99% over I have a few comments. Some late but comments none the less.

1. If you let your annual Passes expire you don't get that almost $100 discount. So how is this a good idea??

2. I saw the Double Decker bus on 12/17 when we were there for the day. we stayed at MK until about 12:30. It was open until 1am. It was in-route to what i would assume was in front of the castle like you described. I was tempted to chase it down because i assumed they were giving rides but we were already half way down Main Street so I decided best to just walk on. Now i know that there were free rides and i am now angry!!! :(

3. I have a couple pictures of 2 beautiful Dole Whip creations i made. I am sure this will cause a stir! If i say so myself they are quite impressive!!

I made the first one here for my lovely lady!! Notice how it is alteast 150% taller than the cup and ends with a flip? Also note Sponge Bob Photo Bombing us!

photo%2525204.JPG

The second was actually the first. I forgot to take a picture. This is atleast 3 bites in.

photo%2525203.JPG

I also saw a gator at the fort :)

photo%2525201.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

Any Who. Awesome Report! Have a great Christmas all!

J.W. (TheLug)

1. If you let your annual Passes expire you don't get that almost $100 discount. So how is this a good idea??

The discount for renewing is a lot less than $100.

The difference between a new annual pass and a renewal annual pass is only $42.60

The difference between a new premium AP and a renewal premium AP is only $53.25

The price differences for FL resident APs are similar.

The ONLY reason you would NOT want to let your AP expire is if you have a "Charter" AP (you have kept it current since APs started), then that is a significant price difference.

So if you have a month or more after your AP expires till your next visit, then it makes sense to let the AP expire and get a new one, with a new expiration date.

Wow...this took me 3 days to read, at home and at work. I really enjoy your writing style, you tell a great-detailed story...and the photos are outstanding. What are you shooting with? We'll have to join up down at Flanagan's one of these days, swap some stories...let me know.

So since i haven't checked in yet and it is now 99% over I have a few comments. Some late but comments none the less.

2. I saw the Double Decker bus on 12/17 when we were there for the day. we stayed at MK until about 12:30. It was open until 1am. It was in-route to what i would assume was in front of the castle like you described. I was tempted to chase it down because i assumed they were giving rides but we were already half way down Main Street so I decided best to just walk on. Now i know that there were free rides and i am now angry!!! :(

3. I have a couple pictures of 2 beautiful Dole Whip creations i made. I am sure this will cause a stir! If i say so myself they are quite impressive!!

I made the first one here for my lovely lady!! Notice how it is alteast 150% taller than the cup and ends with a flip? Also note Sponge Bob Photo Bombing us!

photo%2525204.JPG

The second was actually the first. I forgot to take a picture. This is atleast 3 bites in.

photo%2525203.JPG

I also saw a gator at the fort :)

photo%2525201.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

Any Who. Awesome Report! Have a great Christmas all!

J.W. (TheLug)

Hey Lug!

Thanks for popping in.

And thanks for sharing your photos!

They are great.

I love the Dole Whips!

Especially the flip. Extra style points for that.

Good job on the gator photos, too. Although it could just as well be a log floating out there.

I will respond to your AP question in my response to Carol, below.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I hope to see you around the Fort in 2012!

The discount for renewing is a lot less than $100.

The difference between a new annual pass and a renewal annual pass is only $42.60

The difference between a new premium AP and a renewal premium AP is only $53.25

The price differences for FL resident APs are similar.

The ONLY reason you would NOT want to let your AP expire is if you have a "Charter" AP (you have kept it current since APs started), then that is a significant price difference.

So if you have a month or more after your AP expires till your next visit, then it makes sense to let the AP expire and get a new one, with a new expiration date.

Yes, Carol has this right.

In my fuzzy logic, I try to wait several months between pass renewals, as over time this saves me money. For example, I bought passes in Feb. 2009 and we used those until Feb. 2010. Then I did not buy passes again until November 2010, and we used those passes up until this past trip. Now, I will wait until Feb. 2012 or later to buy new passes. So, I bought two passes over a three year period. That is much cheaper than renewing each year. Of course, that means that there are months-long gaps when we don't get to visit the parks, but that has worked out fine for us.

I had no idea that an AP cost as much as it does.

Yes, it's expensive. And multiply that time the number of people in your family.

That's why I do not renew every year, and we also go with the Seasonal Passes, which have black-out dates over the summer and Christmas and Easter.

My youngest DD's say they want to try the college program. If they do, I think that will save us all a lot of $$$.

Wow...this took me 3 days to read, at home and at work. I really enjoy your writing style, you tell a great-detailed story...and the photos are outstanding. What are you shooting with? We'll have to join up down at Flanagan's one of these days, swap some stories...let me know.

Sounds good to me!

There are a few Fiends who live within an easy driving distance of Dunedin. Maybe we could invite them too.

My current camera is a neon green Canon point and shoot which was passed down to me from Twin #1 when she got a nicer camera. It is nicer than my purple point and shoot which was passed down to me from one of my other daughters. My next camera will be a Pink Nikon point and shoot when my older daughter upgrades her camera.

TCD

OK- Stand back- I am going to get those Saturday photos that I promised posted.

To re-cap.

We began our Thanksgiving break in Tallahassee to watch FSU v. Virginia.

Then it was to the Fort for Sunday-Friday.

Now it's Saturday again, and we are in Gainesville.

I should have stayed at the Fort.

We are a family divided, so here is our tailgate set-up:

IMG_2111.jpg

Twin #2 decided to be a Nole today, so here she is:

IMG_2113.jpg

We had a great time tailgating, and then we headed in to the stadium.

Our seats were in the FSU section, in the corner of the end-zone.

Albert and Alberta came out early to work the crowd:

IMG_2142.jpg

We were right next to the FSU band.

Here are the TCD girls:

IMG_2149.jpg

I would have gotten a really good photo of FSU's coach Jimbo Fisher here, but that lady jumped up and got in the way:

IMG_2151.jpg

Albert came over and taunted the FSU band:

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

Alberta joined in too:

IMG_2164.jpg

We had an unfortunate situation a couple of rows behind us (make sure you notice the poor young lady):

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

By game time, Ben Hill Griffin stadium was full and rocking:

IMG_2172.jpg

One of the classy traditions of this game is that both bands come out on the field for the playing of the National Anthem:

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

We were right in the corner where the FSU team took the field:

IMG_2194.jpg

We don't really need to discuss the details of the game.

Let's just say that the FSU fans were very happy:

IMG_2208.jpg

And I was not.

The woman you see down there in the puke green jump suit was part of the ESPN broadcast team:

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

Some guys around me were telling me that she was the subject of some type of controversy at ESPN where she was the "other woman" in some type of scandal. From where we were sitting we all agreed that whoever the guy was in that scandal must have had trouble with his eye sight.

The Noles knocked the Gators' quaterback, John Brantley, out of the game.

So, the backups got some reps:

IMG_2220.jpg

The same guys who did not like the lady in the puke green jumpsuit were very happy when this young lady appeared in the stands:

IMG_2222.jpg

By mid-way through the 4th quarter, the UF fans left in droves.

Bad show there Gator fans.

I stayed.

So did this lady who kept holding up some stupid sign:

IMG_2225.jpg

I can't remember what it said, but it was something stupid.

That's why I took the photo.

I could zoom in on it and let you know, but I don't think it would be worth the effort, so let's move on.

The final score was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. FSU won 21-7.

Boy did they celebrate.

Here is a thug FSU player leaving the field (notice that he has lost his jersey somewhere and has his gloves shoved in his facemask- classy):

IMG_2231.jpg

You can see that almost all of the Gator fans were long gone by this time:

IMG_2232.jpg

This last photo was for my oldest DD, it shows FSU's placekicker, Dustin Hopkins, leaving the field. She's his biggest fan:

IMG_2233.jpg

And with that, we headed on out of there and back to the Ponderosa.

What a week it was.

And, that's all the photos I have from Thanksgiving week 2011!

Thanks for reading along.

But, wait!

Before you go, there will be one more batch of photos.

It's a Christmas miracle!

I'll get those up later today.

TCD

Congratulations!

You made it.

This is the end.

The last photos for this report.

And, these aren't even from Thanksgiving week.

But, I am going to post them here because they kind of fit.

Plus, today is Christmas Eve Eve, and you can consider this a little Christmas bonus from TCD.

Instead of finishing this report ealier this week, I took a half day off and we made a run over to Sea World.

That was on Wednesday, the 21st.

As in two days ago.

We visited Sea World this past summer and bought the Florida Residents' Fun pass.

Which means you pay full price for your admission, but you get to come back as many times as you want through the end of the year.

That is one heck of a deal.

And we had yet to take advantage of it.

But we needed to by 12/31.

So Wednesday was the day.

We blasted off from home a little after noon.

And we were walking in the front gate of Sea World a little before 2.

I thought we would hit traffic on the way, but we didn't.

That was awesome.

I wasn't planning to write a trip report on this, so I didn't take a lot of photos at first.

But as the day went on, I thought I ought to snap a few pics.

So I did.

We hit the new coaster Manta first, and then the Polar Express attraction at the Wild Arctic. Then we headed over to the Sea Lion Theater to see the Clyde and Seamore Christmas show.

Here we are:

IMG_2239.jpg

As we drove over to Orlando, I noted that the thermometer in my car was showing that it was 81 degrees out today. On December 21!

I love living in Florida.

Sure, we get hurricanes. But, I'll take an occasional hurricane in exchange for a sunny 81 degree day on December 21.

I thought the weather was great.

This poor guy whose job it was to sell blankets at the show probably disagreed:

IMG_2251.jpg

The show began with a singing otter:

IMG_2253.jpg

In my opinion, that was also a mistake by management.

How can you top that.

And while I am thinking of it, seeing this otter reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask . . .

Where the heck has Deb The Otter Spotter been?

But, I digress.

Back to our final photos.

This is either Clyde or Seamore:

IMG_2254.jpg

I know my twins get mad when people can't tell them apart, but darn if I can tell those two sea lions apart.

In addition to Clyde, Seamore, and the Otter, whose name escapes me, this show also featured a really big Walrus. You can see him in front of the fireplace here:

IMG_2262.jpg

The show concluded with a machine spraying soap bubbles all over the audience:

IMG_2264.jpg

People in Florida eat this fake snow up.

Since it was next door, we went over to the Sea Lion exhibit, where a castmember was feeding us all a load of the company's bull about how they take great care of their animals and strive to keep them in natural environments. As she was telling us all of this, another castmember was feeding the sea lions by hand out of a big bucket, and the sea lions all congregated around and begged like a bunch of starved dogs. Just like they do in the wild. If someone was hand feeding them out of a bucket, that is:

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

I have heard a lot of Sea World advertisements on the radio lately. They have really been pushing their Christmas attractions. We have never seen any of these. One of the things I heard about was something they were calling the Sea of Trees.

This is the Sea of Trees:

IMG_2277.jpg

I liked this lake full of trees just fine. But this man-made creation got upstaged for a while by a beautiful Florida sunset:

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

It turns out the Sea of Trees is Sea World's answer to the Osborne Lights. For a little while each night, the lights on the trees "dance" to Christmas music. As with the Osborne Lights, photos do not do it justice. It actually wasn't bad:

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

They also pump out fake snow in their little waterfront area. That is what is happening in this photo, although you can't see the snow:

IMG_2314.jpg

We also walked through the penguin exhibit, and rode Manta again before we bugged out of there.

We are going to try to go back, because there is a Christmas Shamu show and a big fireworks finale which we left before seeing.

But, we had someplace we wanted to go more.

The Fort!

We parked in overflow and bused it back to the Settlement.

We enjoyed a delicious Giddyap And Go right there on the porch, with the sleigh rides and wagon rides going by.

Then we met up with a friend who lent us a cart for a bit so we could loop.

And we looped.

Every loop.

The decorations were fantastic.

As always.

Those new rules we heard about around Halloween have gone out the window.

Good.

Here's that Minnie we saw just a little while ago.

Now she is ready for Christmas:

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

And, here's that really nice Mickey that Jeannie always displays:

IMG_2317.jpg

The Thanksgiving dinner has been transformed into a Christmas campfire:

IMG_2318.jpg

I am hoping to be back at the Fort before the end of the year, so I didn't spend a lot of time taking photos of all of the other decorations we saw.

We just looped and enjoyed.

But, when we ran into this on the 800 loop, the girls had to get off the cart for a photo.

Check this out!:

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Do you see how big that Santa is?!

Holy smokes!

They had a giant Santa for sale at my local Ace Harware this year. The box said it was the World's Largest Airblown Inflatable. It cost around $300. This Santa here on the 800 loop was at least twice the size of that one.

After the big Santa, it was time for us to go.

Before we left, we got some hot cocoa from the Meadow Trading Post, and then we brought the cart back.

And that was that.

And this is it.

The end of another TCD trip report.

I wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I hope to see all of you at the Fort in 2012.

Until the next time.

TCD is out!

TCD

Awesome finale!! I visited Sea World back in 2009, it was a nice couple days. (They had the buy it online at kids price, then activate for a 2nd day free on your first day, for us non-Florida folks).

Seaworld has had some pretty awesome deals lately.

We probably will get the fun passes again next year.

The girls (and I) really like that new coaster.

Plus all of the shows and exhibits make it a nice place to visit.

Thanks, Andrew, What a nice way to end your report!

4.gifmickey-mouse-new-year-mc1.jpg

Thanks, Cherie.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Mike as well.

TCD

Great job Andrew!!

I've never been to Sea World during the holidays. The sea of trees looks beautiful. I grew up in a house on the lake and there is something special about the way the lights reflect off the water.

Holy Santa Claus!! That is a big one! I love it, and I think it was the perfect way to end another great report.

merry_christmas_6.gifto the TCD gang! :heart:

I know there are a lot of teachers here, my wife included. Sea World offers an educators discount, and sometimes free for teachers when you buy other tix. Last time we went, we paid very little. That was between Christmas and New Years last year, we stayed at Tropical Palms, and it was only a few degrees. That's when we discovered the heat strip in the popup no longer worked. I had to use my Amex card to scrape the frost off the windshield to get to the bathouse. The next day dumbass me sits in the splash zone.

I found a photo from the trip...two days later it was 80...crazy weather we have here!

002.jpg