We are thinking of becoming American Gypsies

(I think even now in the 21st century there is a negative stigma on home school).

I think in some ways it depends on where you live. When we lived in NY, you didn't hear about homeschooling much, and there was definitely a negative stigma. Here in TN, it is as common and accepted as private schooling. I believe the reasons have to do with a population that embraces liberty, individual responsibility and self determination, rather than simply accepting what the government and teachers unions dish out. If you do ultimately decide to homeschool, don't worry about the negative stigma. Your kids will dispel that by outperforming their peers.

I make these comments somewhat lightheartedly...I actually have my kids in public school right now so I'm not anti-public school. But we have also homeschooled and utilized private schools in the past. I believe that each child is an individual with their own needs. What works for one child may not for another, and what works for that child one year may not work the next year. So go with whatever approach is best for your family and don't worry about what others think. Only you guys can determine that.

I hope you guys have a great experience with this!

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences about this idea - Unless something drastic happens we are hoping to launch the end of June. We told the kids so there is no turning back now! I am definately also leaning towards using an online school with parental support - I just like having the structure and guidance. We joined a group of other families online www.fulltimefamilies.com but their forum is not as active as this one - I will definately be looking for support and thoughts from my fiends.

rent the house out... that way you get to hit the road and he gets to "keep" the house :rofl3:

oooooh, no way, no how that would work. You should have seen the inspections he used to do when we got home from vacation when our son was living there. Can't imagine if we had renters, OY!!

I guess thats why this works for us right now - this house has been good to us but it is in no way our dream home or in our dream town. I was crunching some numbers tonight - I am pretty sure we are going to be saving money by hitting the road for a while - thats pretty exciting.

We were renting our house so it wasn't a hard decision either. As for the money, I am not saying you wont' save money. From what I've read it is a common belief that you'll save money but it's a bit too early for us to be sure. Some succeed and others don't. It seems that we are saving now but during the summer when gas prices were higher, we were traveling farther distances, and visiting Major National Parks/Monuments we didn't save as much. I think it may balance out for us.

I can recommend budget, budget, budget. Do a google search for budgets of fulltimers. There are some great examples. We saw one couple (no kids) that itemized every single thing and they lived quite cheaply.

We took what we paid in rent and put it toward campground fees. Utilities went toward gas and propane. Grocery budget did not change but the cost of auto maintenance went up. Don't forget to factor in the cost of doing Laundry. You can pay any where from $0.75 up to $3.50 (Custer, SD) to wash a load. Dryers usually take $0.75 or $1.00 per load. I did laundry today (4 loads) it cost me $9.00 and that is about the average.

haha - Whats funny is I already bought those for the kids stockings this year without even knowing - its meant to be!

My daughter got one of them at Walmart for the candy and I stole the container. Then I was doing laundry and someone told me they'd attended a RV seminar where they'd handed out the candy just to give the attendees the containers.

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but here is an excellent resource for anyone planning to go full-time. There is much more to the Escapees than the forum, and you don't have to be an Escapee member to join the forum. They have a vast wealth of information, not to mention they make a good support group.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but here is an excellent resource for anyone planning to go full-time. There is much more to the Escapees than the forum, and you don't have to be an Escapee member to join the forum. They have a vast wealth of information, not to mention they make a good support group.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/

We are Escapees. My husband uses their forum from time to time.

As for joining, we joined for the mail service. (Texas based). I don't want to push any particular thing on someone but if you are traveling in the southwest and west they have really nice parks that are fairly cheap in comparison to commercial ($11-15 compared to commercial $20-50). Even if I didn't use their mail service I would still join for the campgrounds. They have at least two in Florida but one is 55 and older only.

I believe there is another mail service run out of Florida.

http://www.myrvmail.com/

http://www.goodsammail.com/

There is one out of South Dakota.

http://alternativeresources.net/

something that came up on a google search.

http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2475

You will need to check into fulltimers insurance. Fulltimers insurance if very different than what most sticks and bricks people carry on their RV. Make sure they insure the rig, the contents, and provide funds for living in case of an accident. Some of the big companies will carry full timers insurance (depending on the state).

When you go to do your residency make sure you have -

current DL

Birth Certificate

SSN card

(meet a nice family in Livingston, Tx trying to get established and she had to drive an hour to the SS office and wait two weeks to get a new card)

Another helpful one is a passport but only if you have it already.

Check into all the discount clubs. There are more of them. We have Good Sam and Escapees. They have all paid for themselves many times over in the. We are considering adding Passport America for next year.

Good Sam - we carry their Roadside assistance

Passport America

Escapees

Happy Camper

For the camper - fire/water proof safe.

It's always been a dream of mine as well. If you have any doubts about the lifestyle and whether it would work for your family, how about taking off on the road for the entire summer next year. Don't treat it like a vacation; work your jobs and go about it as if it were permanent. This would give you some indication of whether it works for you without pulling the kids from school until you are sure. (Unless you already homeschool....I don't remember if you do?) If it works out, you could either go back home and put the kids in school until you are prepared to hit the road again and homeschool them, or if you have a roadschooling plan already prepared with curriculum ready to go, you could just stay on the road at that point.

One other consideration if you do this. Decide now where you want to maintain permanent residence. The homeschooling rules are different for each state, at times vastly different. You want to ensure you follow the appropriate record keeping requirements, including registration with an umbrella if necessary. Maybe look into joining the Homeschool Legal Defense Association http://www.hslda.org/ if you are not already a member. They can help sort those questions out.

Also, if you really undertake this and don't plan on returning to CT, cut that cord as soon as you can for tax reasons. Establish permanent residence in a state that doesn't bleed you dry!

Good luck Whip!

We didn't roadschool, but we did homeschool for 3 years. I can say it was the best 3 years. It was not always easy, but totally worth it. We were able to take them away from the craziness of life and concentrate on what is most important: God and family. Friends and sports are great, but the bond you will create with your kids is one they will remember always. I also feel that being home gave the kids a very strong sense of self, a confidence to love who they are. This has served them well since re-entering public school.

We did take one 3 week trip in our RV. We hit a lot of the locations that we studied in American History. It was an awesome trip.

Long story short, I think a year on the road with your kids would be the best thing you could ever do for them.

We did take one 3 week trip in our RV. We hit a lot of the locations that we studied in American History. It was an awesome trip.

Long story short, I think a year on the road with your kids would be the best thing you could ever do for them.

we are dong the american history tour starting next april-nov (ending at FW)

Our plan is to be full timers in about 3 years.

We'll sell or close the doors on the business in Kissimmee, sell the Florida house, buy the 42' Winnebago MH that we've already picked out, and we're gone.

When we've had enough, we'll live in the Georgia house during the summer and in the MH in Florida during the winter.

Our plan is to be full timers in about 3 years.

We'll sell or close the doors on the business in Kissimmee, sell the Florida house, buy the 42' Winnebago MH that we've already picked out, and we're gone.

When we've had enough, we'll live in the Georgia house during the summer and in the MH in Florida during the winter.

No more Magicbus in three years? Who will be the unofficial FF greeter then?

Thank you so much for everyones advice and input. You would not believe the progress we are making. I have been boxing items, taging for a yard sale, fixing up the house - We have a realtor comming on Monday to give us the bad news about what our home is worth but I dont even care - as long as it sells and we can get out of here!