It aint over til the fat lady sings - Halloween turns into Thanksgiving

I've been laying a bit low because I couldn't start a TR until the TT was actually away from the fort and the overflow lot doesn't count. Now it's time. If I put it off much longer, I'll forget we were even there at all... much less what happened when... and that's without the red solo cups.

It starts off kind of slow, we didn't get alot of pics to start it but we have lots of pictures from after we arrived to share.

So this is it... fasten your seatbelts... I might be able to drive myself up & down I-95 with my eyes closed but I can't sit in the passenger seat of DH's truck without grabbing that handle, no matter how hard I try...

LIke many of you, I played with a lot of titles. There was so much that happened in the 38 days between Oct 20 & Nov 27, and most of it could lend itself to fun titles if I were only snarky enough. Since the only reason we returned for turkey is because we unintentionally left the TT there in the first place though, I figured the above worked... just when we thought it was over, the fun was really only beginning... jump on in b/c this may be your only chance to call me fat or complain about my singing.

well, maybe not... you guys are fiends - it's not like I could stop you... :clint:

I'd like to say it's time to hop in the delorean and take off. Actually, I'd like to hop in most anything smaller than a truck dragging a TT down an eight lane highway. I wanted to on the morning of Oct 21 too but that wasn't happening so into the truck I hopped, the last to board the "stress-express" to fun...

It was a Friday and DD10's school was closed for a three-day-weekend, making it the perfect day to leave town and head south. As usual, we'd planned to leave home before dawn in order to be thru both Washington DC and Richmond by the height of rush-hour. Also as usual, that didn't work.

It was in fact... (gulp)... after 2 in the afternoon when we finally pulled out of the driveway and close to 3pm by the time we'd filled the tank and were circling Baltimore on the beltway heading towards I-95.

It's in moments like these that DH and I get testy. The conversation starts as I'm turning off lights, checking the stove, locking doors, grabbing the clothes we planned to wear out of the dryer, and lugging the rest of whatever I've piled by the door to the truck where everyone else has been loaded up for at least half an hour. By the time we get off the Balto beltway and onto i-95 south, Friday rush-hour has begun. Anybody who's ever driven the DC beltway knows this is not a good thing...

It's a left exit from i-95 onto the DC beltway. uh-oh. DH is in the middle lane and nobody will let us over. We end up taking the beltway west. This is not good. It does get you to the same place. It doesn't get you there quickly. Especially in rush hour on a Friday when construction blocks all but two lanes which are moving at maybe 20 miles an hour tops with miles of stop & go brake lights framing the distance to the horizon.

Oddly enough, I'm okay with this. You might even say I relaxed a bit during this time. That's because I have a terrible secret.

I have PTTTD. Post Traumatic Trailer Towing Disorder. Or I would have if such a thing actually existed. I can handle the drive on roads with two lanes in each direction and speeds of 50 but each MPH over, or extra lane of highway, adds to my anxiety. Make that 8 lanes going in the same direction at 65 and I've got a deathgrip on the passenger side grab-bar that might only be broken by EMTs with the jaws of life.

Sure enough, as the road widens, the speed picks up and I find myself telling the kids not to talk to me until after Richmond. From our house to Richmond, VA should take 3 hrs. Should being the key word here. On Oct 21, it took us nearly 7 hours just to get past DC.

A few minutes before 9 pm, we pulled off at exit 130 and into the Super Walmart for a prescription we'd forgotten at home. We always forget something. I suspect the corporate giants know this and that's why they build walmarts everywhere we go. This particular area on the northern end of Fredericksburg, VA is known as "Central Park" and IMO features an unmatched variety of places to eat & shop right off the exit without getting lost or feeling like you're in the city. There's a Target, Wal-mart, Lowe's, Best Buy, Kohl's, PetSmart, Petco, Office Depot, Shoppers Food Warehouse, Fuddruckers, Olive Garden, Outback Steak House, Ryan's, Uncle Sam's American Grill and Bonefish Grill just to name a few. We pulled in next to a half dozen other rvs. I got the prescription & dinner for the girls. DH grabbed a quick bite and shut his eyes for a few hours. We'd get back on the road after midnight when the traffic died down.

I have PTTTD. Post Traumatic Trailer Towing Disorder. Or I would have if such a thing actually existed. I can handle the drive on roads with two lanes in each direction and speeds of 50 but each MPH over, or extra lane of highway, adds to my anxiety. Make that 8 lanes going in the same direction at 65 and I've got a deathgrip on the passenger side grab-bar that might only be broken by EMTs with the jaws of life.

I have PTTTD too. Only in my case it's PTMHD. It gets even worse when we're going over a long bridge or (heaven forbid) a construction zone with barriers on each side. I do a lot of reading, shutting my eyes, praying ...

This is a great start to your TR. Can't wait to read more!

I have PTTTD too. Only in my case it's PTMHD. It gets even worse when we're going over a long bridge or (heaven forbid) a construction zone with barriers on each side. I do a lot of reading, shutting my eyes, praying ...

I hate construction zone barriers and barrels!!!! And I don't do TALL bridges, that is Tony's job. That is why I take the North part of the trip (SC and GA) and Tony gets the South (Flordia, just because of the bridges in JAX).

But at least I keep my eyes open while driving...just sayin. :rofl2:

Finally! I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna hear about your trip, Pam! You need to do the driving, this would solve your disorder! Edward thinks I am a horrible driver, but he'd rather let me drive than have to deal with my anxiety! There is something about having control of the situation that makes it better! We switch out for the hitching and unhitching!

I have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy this one! Ready for more!

You are not alone, Pam. I started out with PTTTD which morphed into PTMHD. It was so bad that the mere mention of Atlanta and I would burst into tears. My kids said they always new our vacation had started with my first cry of "We're gonna die!" :rofl2:

I'm so glad you have started your TR. Waiting now to see if you survived. :rofl3:

Great start on your trip report at least better then the start on the actual trip!!! Pan I should get you to ride with me at work pulling 2 trailers all night long around Balt & DC maybe that will fix you up, hell I'll even wait till there is snow & ice on the road to spice it up some. Anyway on with the report can't wait to read more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it's about time fat lady who sings bad! :rofl2: Hey, you said this was the only time we could say that!

(For those that haven't met Pam, I have. She is not fat, and I've never heard her sing, so I don't know if it's bad or not.)

Great start! I feel your pain with the towing situation. If you have read any of my report, you will learn that while it may be scary, it is good for the gluteus maximus. :moon:

This is a great start to your TR. Can't wait to read more!

Oh and I thought I was the only one with this Disorder. So glad to hear I'm not alone or crazy....well maybe not alone at least. We should start a support group.

Well it's about time fat lady who sings bad! :rofl2: Hey, you said this was the only time we could say that!

(For those that haven't met Pam, I have. She is not fat, and I've never heard her sing, so I don't know if it's bad or not.)

Great start! I feel your pain with the towing situation. If you have read any of my report, you will learn that while it may be scary, it is good for the gluteus maximus. :moon:

How come my butt doesn't look better after a stressful drive? <_<

LOL I can't shut my eyes. I'm too afraid. Now praying... I do that a lot. Glad you're on board for the stressful drive. It was a real experience that's for sure.

I hate construction zone barriers and barrels!!!! And I don't do TALL bridges, that is Tony's job. That is why I take the North part of the trip (SC and GA) and Tony gets the South (Flordia, just because of the bridges in JAX).

But at least I keep my eyes open while driving...just sayin. :rofl2:

I'm awful with bridges too, even when I'm in total control driving the minivan. The worst are bridges with construction barriers at the top where all that's keeping you up there is a tiny piece of concrete angled so as to make a good ramp over the edge if you hit it right... :panic:

Finally! I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna hear about your trip, Pam! You need to do the driving, this would solve your disorder! Edward thinks I am a horrible driver, but he'd rather let me drive than have to deal with my anxiety! There is something about having control of the situation that makes it better! We switch out for the hitching and unhitching!

In the beginning I was ready but afraid to post a TR announcing the TT - complete with GC & electronics - were sitting unattended in the overflow lot for three weeks. If anything had happened after leaving it against DH's wishes it would have been a very unpleasant year in the rdance house indeed... :whew:

And I totally agree about the control thing. That's exactly what it is. Not sure I want to drive the excursion yet though, maybe if we could find something to pull with my minivan...

Beltway at rush hour...not fun! You need to drink more before you leave the house next time. Lots more.

That's the problem, I didn't have anything to drink at all. Lesson learned... BIG TIME... hey, maybe I should change the name of my TR... :rofl2:

You are not alone, Pam. I started out with PTTTD which morphed into PTMHD. It was so bad that the mere mention of Atlanta and I would burst into tears. My kids said they always new our vacation had started with my first cry of "We're gonna die!" :rofl2:

Ah, those three magical trip-starting words... You've got more nerve than I do. I just sit there thinking it, all white-knuckled and stressed. The collie makes so much noise whining the entire trip that it's not like they'd hear me anyway...

I should get you to ride with me at work pulling 2 trailers all night long around Balt & DC maybe that will fix you up, hell I'll even wait till there is snow & ice on the road to spice it up some. !

ummm, yeah dblr sounds like fun. Oh you betcha... we'll have to do that real soon!

Note to self - bribe Beth with however many chocolate bunnies it will take to make her convince the man to call out sick & stay home that night... 8)

Your trip out of town sounds a lot like getting out of ATL. Great Start.

Happy to have you aboard. Are you buckled in?? It's going to be a bumpy ride.

I haven't driven ATL since the early 80s. I have this theory about big city traffic and childbirth. I figure if you wait long enough the pain won't seem nearly as bad. I was thinking about making the SM GG though if we're available Memorial Day weekend so I guess maybe my theory works...

Your trip did get off to a rough start!!! Glad to read about it though!!

I am so glad I survived it. It was terrific meeting you and all my fiendish friends at the fort for Halloween.

That part was definitely a treat, instead of a trick... :partythree:

Stef! Glad you're here! Thanks for the compliment but I fear I have maximized my gluteus maximus very nicely over the years. :laugh:

Sadly, I missed out on sharing your red solo cups - and we all know Judy took the blender I was promised then didn't table dance - or you might well have heard me sing... loudly enough to be truly obnoxious & unruly too! :toot:

I was beginning to wonder if you had decided to just stay at the Fort through Christmas.

You are off to a great start- it's good to see that you are already joking about your stressful drive.

Hey TCD! If you really think I'm off to a great start then it's gotta be b/c my bahookie is safely planted in my desk chair and not in the passenger seat of the excursion on i-95. Hang around, the drive gets even better.

Oh, and Starla asked if we planned to leave it again and go back for Christmas. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out there was a secret betting pool going on llast month with strong odds in favor of the TT living in overflow year round.

Oh and I thought I was the only one with this Disorder. So glad to hear I'm not alone or crazy....well maybe not alone at least. We should start a support group.

:waycool: now that sounds like a plan! I vote we all grab our old brand new refillable mugs and call the meeting to order at the first pool we find on the monorail. We can work our way around the MK loop then move onto that nice big circle in between Epcot & DHS to practice ordering drinks swiping towels relaxing on pool chairs jumping headfirst into sparkling unauthorized waters danger in an attempt to desensitize ourselves in preparation for the drive home...

Back on the road again... we must have pulled back onto the road around 12:30 or so. Traffic had been horribly backed up all day thanks to construction along the way. It quickly became obvious that some of those trucks had pulled off to wait it out also and were now doing everything they could to make up lost time. We hadn't been on the road for more than twenty minutes when a semi came flying by - and i do mean FLYING - to catch us all by surprise. I think we must have surprised him too. DH estimates he couldn't have missed hitting the side of our truck by more than six inches, if that.

I don't mind the bumping/dragging/bouncing of towing very much. It's the side-to-side sway that leaves me feeling out of control. Now I know you're always going to feel that to some extent when a truck goes by, in whatever you're driving, but I don't know that I'll ever get completely used to it.

Starla teases that I don't travel well but, if that were the case, she'd have spent all her vacations 3 hours away in boring Ocean City, MD like the rest of her classmates. It's just not true. When we fly, I have a habit of scoping out the business travelers on our plane. I don't like turbulance but, just like road sway, I know some is normal. That's where the business travelers come in. If I look across the aisle and see the bored frequent flier has closed his laptop and appears concerned, I start praying.

It's sort of like this on the road too. For the first years of our marriage, DH drove a semi-tanker hauling jet fuel to support helicopters. I know he can handle himself so when I saw him tighten his grip on the wheel, it was my signal to panic. And panic I did. My heart was racing, my knees were shaking. I was having a full blown anxiety attack. I needed to get off the road and I needed a fresh diet coke... actually I needed something much stronger. Adrenaline flowed thru my veins faster than that there big ol lighted musical fountain in Epcot. If I'd been drinking it would have sobered me up instantly I'm sure.

It was just after 1 am. We were only two hours from home even though we'd left home ten hours earlier. DH asked if I wanted to turn around. I didn't. But I didn't want to die of a heart attack on the way south either. We talked about waiting until morning and leaving the GC or the ecv in a storage locker and picking it up at later date after our trip was over. By the end, it wasn't a pleasant conversation.

Starla posted a thread saying we needed help... and the fiends came thru. Most said exactly what I needed to hear... that some sway was normal and it helped me put on my big girl panties and get back on the road. Others offered to let us offload the GC, even park the TT if we needed to in their yard, or bring us parts along the way. I can't thank some of you enough b/c without that support we might have ended up turning around. :heart:

We made it to the bypass around Richmond without further incident and had the road to ourselves for a while. The only bad part there is that construction on the big suspension bridge and it was dark enough that I just didn't look for a change. Below Richmond, the road eventually thins out to two lanes in each direction and enters NC. Whew. We'd made it thru the worst of it and would be settled in at the fort before dark - or so we thought...

10-20116.jpg

It's ok, Pam. We may not travel well but we all have a great time when we reach our destination. One thing I noteiced, since I got my iphone, it helps to distract me. Mike wishes he had gotten me one a long time ago. :))

Great update, waiting for more. :popcorn:

The drive in NC was going well now. We'd made it past Raleigh. There was a deer laying dead in the road ahead that DH couldn't avoid without swerving. I sucked in my breath and listened to the sad, sickening sound of smashing bones. After a few miles we saw a rest stop and took it as an omen to pull off for a while. Since I was still wide awake he rested in the truck, while I kept watch and walked the dogs.

I spent some time talking to a couple who had three papillions with them. I couldn't resist after watching them for a bit.... you don't usually see papillions out much. In fact, most people assume I have a long-haired chihuahua.

They caught my attention though even before I saw the dogs. The man was doing something fairly unusual for a rest stop in the wee hours of the morning. He was setting up a wire crate on the grass. And it wasn't the grass near his MH either. It also wasn't even anywhere near the dog walk area. What the fort?

Then I see his wife carry out the dogs one at a time and put them into the crate together and walk back to their MH. By this time Ella, our papillion - also referred to by some here as "cujo", has seen them too. oops.

She isn't the most socialized hairball but she sure was a cute puppy...

P1010346.jpg

Ella has that fearful little dog mentality that leaves her afraid of most everything. To make up for it, she's gotten it into her head that she needs to snarl & growl at everything in sight with no regard to whether it's animal, vegetable, mineral, or even remotely capable of moving at all. When I say this Halloween costume fits her personality, I'm not joking...

P1010217.jpg

The ruckus she was kicking up got the man's attention and, before I knew it, the couple had plucked up their pups and headed over to introduce Ella to her "cousins". I am ashamed to say that she had very little use for this long lost branch of the family. After I yelled at her for snarling, I don't even think she stopped growling under her breath long enough to sniff the air between them, much less the animals presented for the family reunion themselves. <_<