Rita-

There is a shopping area in Celebration that is called Celebration Town Center.

They have a movie theater and a lot of restaurants.

There are a lot of activities around Christmas time.

One that we have gone to several times is the Radio Disney concert.

They typically will have a lower tier Disney Star along with the winner of the Radio Disney Next Big Thing award.

In past years, the performers have been the Jonas Brothers and Mitchell Musso (from Hannah Montana).

Two years ago, they landed a young up and coming guy by the name of Justin Bieber. I took the TCD girls over for that one and earned big brownie points (and the concert was free!)

Here's the website for the town center: http://celebrationtowncenter.com/

TCD

In appearance Celebration looks nothing like Walt's original vision of EPCOT. His plan was for EPCOT to be a model, planned community, home to twenty thousand residents, which would be a test bed for city planning and organization. The EPCOT that exists today looks nothing like his concept and was meant to be a permanent World's Fair.

Many years after Walt's death, then Disney CEO, Michael Eisner, pushed the executives at Disney to develop a town worthy of Walt's vision for EPCOT. The designers weren't able to incorporate the futuristic look that Walt had envisioned, but his basic concepts were all pretty much implemented. Although not a complete circle as Walt designed it, the first phase was half a circle with businesses and commercial areas at its center, community buildings and schools and recreational complexes around it, and residential neighborhoods along the perimeter, just as Walt's EPCOT concept drawing showed. And again true to his plan, people do live, work, and play there.

Celebration is often cited as being the real EPCOT because it does embody Walt's basic concept.

While it does get some negative press for being too "Stepford" and too expensive, families living there will tell you that it's a great place to live and raise a family.

Come by when you're in area. There is a good chance that you'll run into a certain Fiend and his little dog. Buddy's loves walking around the lake and then going downtown to the ice cream shop for a scoop. We do it quite often.

In appearance Celebration looks nothing like Walt's original vision of EPCOT. His plan was for EPCOT to be a model, planned community, home to twenty thousand residents, which would be a test bed for city planning and organization. The EPCOT that exists today looks nothing like his concept and was meant to be a permanent World's Fair.

Many years after Walt's death, then Disney CEO, Michael Eisner, pushed the executives at Disney to develop a town worthy of Walt's vision for EPCOT. The designers weren't able to incorporate the futuristic look that Walt had envisioned, but his basic concepts were all pretty much implemented. Although not a complete circle as Walt designed it, the first phase was half a circle with businesses and commercial areas at its center, community buildings and schools and recreational complexes around it, and residential neighborhoods along the perimeter, just as Walt's EPCOT concept drawing showed. And again true to his plan, people do live, work, and play there.

Celebration is often cited as being the real EPCOT because it does embody Walt's basic concept.

While it does get some negative press for being too "Stepford" and too expensive, families living there will tell you that it's a great place to live and raise a family.

Come by when you're in area. There is a good chance that you'll run into a certain Fiend and his little dog. Buddy's loves walking around the lake and then going downtown to the ice cream shop for a scoop. We do it quite often.

I am definitely gonna get over there one day!

I am definitely gonna get over there one day!

Rita-

I should have added to my post about Celebration that the town was designed using the New Urbanism concept that you have seen at Seaside, Watercolor, and some of the new planned communities that have popped up since Seaside was first developed.

Celebration is much, much larger than Seaside, but they copied the idea of requiring the houses to have porches and sit close to the street, with garages in alleys out back.

It is a very nice place to visit.

Also, Celebration has a great little hotel right there at the Town Center. I have thought about booking a room there for a night or two, but never have. I did price rooms there once, and I thought that their rates were very reasonable. It would make a nice little trip for you for a night or two if you ever want to visit and not lug the trailer.

TCD

Also, Celebration has a great little hotel right there at the Town Center. I have thought about booking a room there for a night or two, but never have. I did price rooms there once, and I thought that their rates were very reasonable. It would make a nice little trip for you for a night or two if you ever want to visit and not lug the trailer.

Great suggestion Andrew. It's a great place to use as a base for a couple of days. We've gone to a number of small gatherings there.

It's not too big and not too small.

It's away from everything, but close to everything.

Hmmm, wonder if they have CM room discounts?

Great suggestion Andrew. It's a great place to use as a base for a couple of days. We've gone to a number of small gatherings there.

It's not too big and not too small.

It's away from everything, but close to everything.

Hmmm, wonder if they have CM room discounts?

You know, Lou, I just took a look at the hotel's website.

It is now managed by Marriot.

I think it used to be independent.

They had some good last minute deals on there.

Also- I'll bet a lot of people don't know that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers used this hotel to house their players for a couple of years when they had their summer practices at the Wide World of Sports Complex. This was back when Gruden was the coach.

TCD

You know, Lou, I just took a look at the hotel's website.

It is now managed by Marriot.

I think it used to be independent.

It has changed ownership and it has a different name as well. I hope it does well.

Also- I'll bet a lot of people don't know that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers used this hotel to house their players for a couple of years when they had their summer practices at the Wide World of Sports Complex. This was back when Gruden was the coach.

That was a great time for Bucs and NFL fans.

You could run into a Bucs player at any time if you happen to be at Celebration. And as you said, you could watch them practice at ESPN WWOS, for free. It was very interesting. There was always a good crowd there.

I was very disappointed when they decided to move to Tampa.

Having lived in the St. Pete/Clearwater area for a number of years, I became a Bucs fan. After the Patriots that is.

Tina-

I should have added to my post about Celebration that the town was designed using the New Urbanism concept that you have seen at Seaside, Watercolor, and some of the new planned communities that have popped up since Seaside was first developed.

Celebration is much, much larger than Seaside, but they copied the idea of requiring the houses to have porches and sit close to the street, with garages in alleys out back.

It is a very nice place to visit.

Having lived in a New Urbanist community (designed by the same firm that designed Seaside), my opinion is that these are beautiful communities but are not for everyone. The homes are typically very pretty, and like Andrew stated have front sitting porches, with garages accessed from the rear. They are designed to be walkable communities that encourage neighbor interaction.

However, they typically come with extremely restrictive covenants and very active, bordering on militant HOA's. While this results in a uniform look to the neighborhood and consistent upkeep, you do sign over a great deal of freedom and control over your property.

Another thing is that most homes do not have a real, usable yard. If you don't want much yard to maintain, this can be great. If you have kids and/or dogs this may not be great.

In any case, Celebration may be a nice place to visit. Living there might be a different story depending on your lifestyle.

Having lived in a New Urbanist community (designed by the same firm that designed Seaside), my opinion is that these are beautiful communities but are not for everyone. The homes are typically very pretty, and like Andrew stated have front sitting porches, with garages accessed from the rear. They are designed to be walkable communities that encourage neighbor interaction.

However, they typically come with extremely restrictive covenants and very active, bordering on militant HOA's. While this results in a uniform look to the neighborhood and consistent upkeep, you do sign over a great deal of freedom and control over your property.

Another thing is that most homes do not have a real, usable yard. If you don't want much yard to maintain, this can be great. If you have kids and/or dogs this may not be great.

In any case, Celebration may be a nice place to visit. Living there might be a different story depending on your lifestyle.

Dave- I have this vague recollection of maybe discussing this with you before, but I can't remember. Where was the community that you lived in?

I agree with your observations. Some of the things that seem really cool at first might make it difficult to actually live in one of these places.

Seaside, which is the grand-daddy of these places recently celebrated its 30th anniversary. While it is a nice place, not many people actually live there full time. By far, the majority of homes are second homes for folks who live elsewhere. In Seaside, very few people have garages- or even driveways- you are supposed to park your car in the road. They are trying to promote walking and biking, but I would have a hard time paying a million bucks for a small house with no place to park a car.

I would have to disagree Dave.

IMO, it's a nice place to visit and a nice place to live, but you're right, it's not for everyone.

Based on what I have seen, I agree with Lou- Celebration seems like it is a place where people actually reside full-time in the community. The houses seem much more like traditional homes with larger lots than I have seen in some of the other New Urbanism communities I have visited.

TCD

I would have to disagree Dave.

IMO, it's a nice place to visit and a nice place to live, but you're right, it's not for everyone.

There's no doubt these are desirable communities. I pointed out both pros and cons from my perspective. We thought we would like living in a NU community, but it turned out we didn't. But a lot of people do.

• 1 month later...

Ok Cruelladuville, BTW, an aka after your screen name would be nice, I'm confused. Why would, I guess it's your daughter, be commuting to Orlando if she's a WDW CM?

Tell her if she sees a geezer with a Red Sox hat and a really cute small dog, Buddy, walking around downtown or around the lake, tell her to say hi.

The Bohemian Hotel, that's what it's called, is very nice place to stay and I agree, the outdoor lounge area is a great place. The indoor bar is nice too.

http://www.celebrationhotel.com/

She is a CM. Maybe I did not make myself very clear, sorry.

It's not you, I get confused very easily.

She should, mom's paying CROA etc.

See, I'm confused again. I'm probably the only one that doesn't know what that stands for..

P.S. What kind of an AKA after my name are you looking for? My real-life name?

A lot of us just put a first name after the screen name. It adds a touch of familiarity. It doesn't even have to be your real name. I've dropped my screen name all toghether. Others incorporated their first name into their screen name, like TnBob, AuburnJen, LornaDuck, just to name a few.