Last year we got some really nice catfish filets and fried them in Zatarains southern style cornmeal. The fish was very fresh and it was a spicy but light flavor. This year when we went to Publix the catfish did not look fresh so I passed on it.

I have a friend up here in MI that fishes a lot and he taught me how to deep fry fish, he catches mostly Walleye, if you havent had Walleye, its a very mild, firm texture fish. I enjoy it because I am allergic to some seafood so I avoid salt water fish. He cuts the filets into smaller pieces (double the size of a McNugget) and fries them in very hot oil, very quickly. The leftovers are so mild that they are good for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure miss the days when it wasn't catch and release. I've enjoyed many fish dinners thanks to Bay lake over the years. In the seventys a friend and I would fish a couple of hours in the afternoon and return with the evenings dinner.  Filet the bass, salt, pepper, shake in come cornmeal and fry. YUM, YUM.

I understand why keeping the fish was discontinued because as the crowds grew if everyone had kept fish, the lake would be empty.  Sure was great while it lasted, however.

foil packets on the camp grill.  we keep cajun and lemon pepper spice shakers in the camper and hook up the catfish with the cajun and most others with the lemon pepper.  as long as you are at the store pick up some of those handy prebagged/cubed/seasoned red skinned 'taters and pop those in a packet too.  a yummy meal with no clean up!