Keeping Buddy Young

Let me know if you've done this or do this and how it's worked out.

Being in the geezer years, I refuse to slow down due to age so I've been doing 30 minutes a day on my treadmill to stay healthy. Is it working, no clue. I do hate doing it though. I somehow force my self to do it almost every day. And no, I didn't just get it and it will be collecting dust in a few months. It's been about three years.

I got this bright idea that why not train Buddy, see Avatar, to use it too. He's going to be 8 years old this year and we want him around for a long time. He adds so much our lives.

He's not a good out door walker because he'll walk 10 feet, stop and sniff, so no prolonged exercise. And it's not something I enjoy doing as a routine.

Too many dogs lay around all day and don't get any physical activity.

It took about 10 minutes for him to catch on. He does real well. I'm gradually increasing the length of time and speed. I'll let him dictate the final length and pace. He's up to almost ten minutes at a fast walking pace before he starts fussing. I take him off when that happens because I don't want him to hate doing it.

I don't use FB much, but there is a very short video of him when he first started using the treadmill on my FB page.

That's very cool, Lou and I'm all for keeping our canine companions fit!

I know someone that uses a treadmill for her Goldens and someone that's used one with her border collies in the winter months.. You have to be careful about it with bigger dogs - just making sure they stay on it correctly - but at Buddy's size it should be pretty easy.

Definitely a good idea to take him off if he starts fussing. Like you said, you want him to enjoy it so he'll keep doing it.

Keep on truckin' Lou and Buddy!

You are such a great doggie dad!

Thanks, there are a lot of great doggie parent Fiends. What does that say about us?

Lou, I sent a friend request. I didn't know you had FB. I can't see the video until you approve me. :(

Done, but I never use it except in special situations.

You have to be careful about it with bigger dogs - just making sure they stay on it correctly - but at Buddy's size it should be pretty easy.

If he loses concentration he just starts sliding sideways, but he recovers quickly.

Well isn't that creative!!

I usually have no problem taking credit for someones else's ideas, but on this one I won't. It's too close to Christmas and all. I stole it from someone.

Lou, I can't find the video.

It's there.

It's working Lou!

Work is right. Have I told you that I hate doing it.

i've done this. duke had some problems with his hip/leg. he wasn't using it and the leg was getting pretty thin. the vet was getting concerned but, we never found out what the problem was. i still think it is a muscle problem. we did some tests on him and the vet said i could exercise him but to watch him. he wouldn't use the leg when he thought about it. if there was a rabbit in the yard - he used it.

so, i found a treadmill on line for about $15. they said the motor might be going-the guy couldn't run on it anymore. i wasn't sure if i should get it or not and he wanted it out of his garage-thankfully we have snow and folks want to park in their garages. he said i could come look at it and if i thought it would work i could have it FREE.. it is still working and i use it too.

i got that little squirt on there and he built his muscle back up. he still has some trouble with his leg but, this helps a lot especially in the winter when i can't walk him.

cheers to you and buddy...

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

It's been 10 days since Buddy started his exercise program. I'm happy to say that it's working out real well. He's only missed one day.

He's up to 20 minutes at varying speeds. I speed up to a running pace for about 30 seconds twice during the session. He does it with ease and doesn't resist. After he's done, he'll run around the house at top speed for a few minutes. We've noticed that he's more playful and perky.

LOL! Would love to read his mind...

"hey I've been running for 20 minutes now and haven't actually gone anywhere - wth??"

I'd bet the tread mill is probably winding him up for the around-the-house-zoomies.

Kind of like those little cars you pull back and then let go. :rofl2: