does your pet itch...

something that works really good is Listerine. yup, the original yellow/gold listerine or it's generic equivalent. it doesn't keep it away for long but, it does give them a quick relief. not only does it stop the itchies but, if they have a scab from their nails-it heals it.

i haven't found anything to cure the itching for a long time. but, i am looking..

I have a script from the vet that I bath my lab in once a week. The only problem is that he has to sit in the solution for ten minutes in the tub. Now for a nine month old puppy, that is like a million years. However, if I keep his baths up, he doesn't itch and he doesn't lose fur. I am posting this while we are on our way back from the Tampa rv show, but I will get the name of the meds and post them. The bottle was like thirty two bucks, it it lasts a good long while and on Lola, much longer than with my big lug.

The shampoo I use is called Pharmaseb Shampoo. It is a Antifungal and Antimicrobial Shampoo formulation designed for dogs and cats. (that is what it says on the bottle) It smells pretty good and it works wonders. My dog does not itch now.

i'll have to check out that shampoo jen. benadryl can be used but, i know what that does to me and i can see how knocked out the pups get when i give it to them. so, i prefer not to give them that. the listerine really does give them relief and they are still their normal self.

• 3 weeks later...

i just discovered something else and it is really helping. matter of fact the itching is pretty much gone. i have been giving them some coconut oil. it is something that we can have and sounds like it helps a lot of different things. there was a video about a man with alzheimers and it had helped him.

so, i give 1/4 tsp 2 x a day. i am very impressed with how good this has done. the listerine works and helps heal them. but, you have keep re-applying it. i haven't read much about how it could help us but, i think it is worth looking into.. :)

• 1 month later...

ok... maybe y'all can help Misty out then... cause everything her vet suggested, we tried and so far nothing has worked... shes been suffering from spider bites ( we spend most of our time in the basement rec room which gets tons of tiny spiders) and she has been scratching relentlessly. We've tried benedryl, didn't help at all... she already takes an omega 3 supplement every day and has a prescription shampoo. It seems no matter what we try for our lil girl we can't help her with these bites. She's constantly itching to the point now that she is pulling hair out...

It's also possible that if she's being bitten frequently, she's becoming more and more sensitive to the bites - kind of like what happens when a dog develops a flea allergy and starts to have worse and worse reactions to being bitten.

If the bites are the culprit, and Benadryl didn't do anything, I can't imagine anything topical will help but maybe someone will have a suggestion.

I don't have any experience with spider bites, but is there anything that you can put on her or do to prevent her from getting bitten?

We've used some herbal stuff to help repel fleas, ticks, mosquitos, etc. in the past... not sure if it would work for spiders...

http://www.sentrynatural.com/products.html

Monique,

She also suffers from extreme reactions to flea bites, so in addition to her Advantix we also use a water spray mixed with lemon and lavender oil and spray her with that daily to keep the fleas away to keep them from biting her in the first place cause just one bite will cause the dermatitis to set in... poor thing has had skin problems since we got her as a pup :-(

Her vet said that there isnt anything that will actually repel spiders though... thats why I was hoping someone else might have happened upon something that helped.

Though I am going to give her the coconut oil and see if that helps her skin too :-)

Aw geez, poor baby!

Coconut oil definitely won't hurt. Just go easy at first - too much has a tendency to go right through them (ew)

It's actually good inside and out - as a topical and taken internally.

Fingers crossed that gives her some relief and someone else will have some experiences to share.