First Trip to Fort Wilderness...Need Campsite Suggestions

All,

I was directed to this site from another RV Internet Forum since I had questions about Fort Wilderness. We are planning our first trip to Fort Wilderness later in the year and we are not sure which type of site to reserve. We will be traveling in a 35' fifth wheel with 3 slides and thought we had settled on a Preferred Site since they seemed to be close to the marina, pool, store, etc. Looking into it further, I read several reviews that said the access roads to these loops would be tight in a larger RV and they suggested a Premium Site. I though I would check here and see if anyone had any thoughts. I don't want to start our week at Disney out with a tree limb through the camper...kind of ruins the mood.

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

We' re in 100 right now. It really all depends on how good you are at backing your FW. There are numerous 35/40 units on both 100 and 200. Just make sure that you have all the pertinent info on your reservation.

Hey, and Welcome---.gif

My parents first stay in their 38' Class A was in a full hook up. The site was a little tight but they got it in the site. The biggest thing I can recommend is some of it is based on your abiltiies in backing up your camper. Some people are less experienced and have a tougher time and some are pro's and can back into almost anything. Premiums have more room but the Fort Wilderness staff seem to normally give sites that can accommodate what you are bringing.

Also :insanity: I know you have been following the insanity for a while and hope you will find this group of people to be fun and helpful. If you have questions ask or if you have input you want to share I hope you will do that too.

It is good to see you here!

You will find very up-to-date information here.

I've posted on other forums stating that we are currently booked with preferred, but thinking about changing to premium. I admit I am worried about the backing in thing. New girl, first trailer, LOL. Backing a gooseneck with tractors loaded on the trailer bed is a completely different animal than a solid sided 33'8" travel trailer. Thinking DH would welcome the little bit extra room.

Hey Go Braves.....WELCOME!!!! Look around here and you will find this is the best site on Fort Wilderness and WDW out there!

If you go with Premium, take a look at the map and decide what is more important for you to be close to. 400/500/700 are closest to the marina, which also is where Pioneer Hall is located (site of the Trails End restaurant) and one of the Trading Posts. Most of the other Premium loops are closer to the pool and recreation area, including the campfire program where they do movies every night. There is also a Trading Post by the pool.

If you have bikes, nothing is too far from each other. Having a golf cart is a blast and also makes the distances somewhat irrelevant. If you plan on renting one, there are options other than renting from Disney. Check out the Golf Cart pages here at Fort Fiends. And in any case there are also internal buses to take you around the resort. If you have a dog/dogs and want to take them to the dog park, then 500 is the closest Premium loop to that.

Let us know if you have other questions as you plan your trip. We took our first Fort trip 5 years ago before I was active on forums and there are things I wish I had asked about previously.

I think a lot depends on whether you have pets and a golf cart. If you have a golf cart, then no loop is too far. Lots of folks take their bikes when they go also. I suck at backing up so prefer the premium loops. Honestly I drove through the 300 loop with the 5er when I I missed our site on the 500 and I was stressed just circling through the loop. I would never be able to park there, but there are lots of big rigs in there. IMO, if you're not in the 100 or 200, then they are not any closer than the 700 and the 400.

Hi Go Braves! Welcome! We just returned from our first trip to the Fort. We stayed in the 1700 loop! Had a blast, seemed like it was in the middle of everything. But my parents have a 38' fifth wheel that they didn't have trouble parking there at all. Just my 2 cents. :)