From WDW Magic...

A look at Innoventions newest exhibit - Habit Heroes

Feb 02, 2012

Innoventions newest exhibit, Habit Heroes opened yesterday for some testing before it officially opens this weekend. We got to experience it during the test, so here is our run-down of what you can expect.

Sponsored by Florida Blue, the exhibit is built around educating guests about kicking some unhealthy habits, and improving health and fitness. The exhibit starts off with a queue area, set outside of an old-school gym called "Will Power's Gymnasium". There is actually some really nice details here, more than you would expect from an Innoventions exhibit. From here, you move inside the actual gym, which serves as the pre-show area. Again, some really nice detail here, with all kinds of trophies and old-time gym equipment on display. Infront is a large video screen, which uses on-screen actors to brief you on what is ahead. The two hosts tell us that we have some habits that we need to get rid of to live better and feel healthier, and we're going to achieve it together as a team.

Spoilers Below

Leaving the gym, guests move into the first challenge room - which is all about reducing TV watching. The room is circular, and has around 16 or so control panels around the edge. On each control panel are four color coded buttons. TV screens begin to fall from the sky, and guests must hit the corresponding colored button to destroy the TVs as they fall from the sky. It gets quite hectic, and they even throw in some multi colors which require multiple button presses. It is a team game, so there can be multiple players per control panel, and multiple teams. The control interface is similar to the game system installed in the Space Mountain queue area.

Next up is the food challenge. This room features 2 large video screens in parallel, and lined up infront of each screen are Toy Story Mania style blasters. The object here is to blast bad foods (such as fries and soft drinks) with healthy foods. Guests have controls to throw carrots or broccoli, using the familiar spring action shooter. It is not 3D, but is still fun to play.

The final challenge is the exercise room. Here guests must move their bodies in time with the on-screen fitness coaches to move the animated character on-screen. The better the moves, the more the character moves. This one is quite physical! The game system uses something similar to the multiplayer game system from the queue of Soarin.

Some post show kiosks after the games are available which allow guests to register to play further challenges from home on the website at http://www.habitheroes.com/

This exhibit is a great new addition to Innoventions and well worth your time checking out. It is certainly one of the most elaborate, and uses a number of fun game systems, and should occupy about 15 to 20 minutes. It is something that an entire family can do together, and hopefully the educational message of healthy living is carried over. You can find the exhibit in Innoventions East, just opposite the Sum of All Thrills, and it is set to officially open by this weekend, with testing taking place now.

Share|

Photos by WDWMAGIC

Innoventions_Thumb_15105.jpg?Expires=1328239157&Signature=nKH6MqSzjs1i7jLYrjY-wNVMqS%7EczR5Q6HKN5dsO-au7LHOonIgXtq9xWPCfcQpiKxN4A1EfTrgg0dJYXtjgG0N0E5LuEcf7qJ0ljlBgUSN9gjmQPRggS5I6JrVxoHNJu8XH3Oij98NbKdDd%7EpiPjhcHgaAEmvtkqq966z%7E3sxo_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

Habit Heroes entrance Innoventions_Thumb_15103.jpg?Expires=1328239157&Signature=MyGJVwJWod1eic9DB4n8s0i3OYHnlubAl493OEesY5e8duRifzjA7v5QrHII-1er%7EPabT1Nua8j9Dk4UKgkgCylOhafMA0s6z%7EVH%7EKYod1zlTfwRLgRLI62lATtDzO-At-aozmJk4fPlRc91BTkO%7Ee21h8eqGv1683bKtRU3RNI_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

The queue area and entrance to the gym Innoventions_Thumb_15104.jpg?Expires=1328239157&Signature=jjomow06UKYyK%7EjiF8JSiwNMSqljaowHPPG5rEf6cmystbzaX7ckSLXM8UbdgMKO5Jho31Y7oYTRw8V5Pnhj2nZj9Pk%7E8D6%7E0k46YZUzLEZ9fHgmR8Ryus2yfBT2jXgt8O0UKIIUX8UL3BVO5zWUfDjprf2qlq-6BNzfjR2MGc4_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

The food challenge game room Innoventions_Thumb_15102.jpg?Expires=1328239156&Signature=lmYSrjnLaK18pIPg5KwT8xKOIED7jlpynBiubZ8OPDjjVQiQ9vKss73MzYBYDIyUn8tG3sNiWbWEKcfKjhsC1UVwOKbWHFRBnkRTxSALvuSoTbuNHsJYm6ZlluAWK7ix-j3cLZkmvfmI408sglXHOwWQlIKS3bQRFQdj6GiMg6c_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

http://www.wdwmagic....abit-Heroes.htm

From the Disney Parks blog...

Habit Heroes Exhibit Debuts at Innoventions at Epcot

posted on February 3rd, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

bg-post-top.png

A new interactive exhibit, Habit Heroes presented by Florida Blue and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, debuted at Innoventions at Epcot today.

hero123234SMALL.jpg

This new experience encourages children of all ages to learn healthy lifestyle habits and become more active. Guests can join forces with Habit Heroes Will Power and Callie Stenics to fight off villains like Sweet Tooth and The Snacker.

2her123234SMALL.jpg

Two Habit Heroes even made a special in-person appearance today for the kick-off of the exhibit.

Can’t make it to Epcot? Kids can visit www.HabitHeroes.com to create their own avatar and learn how to fight bad habits.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/habit-heroes-exhibit-debuts-at-innoventions-at-epcot/

• 4 weeks later...

New from MousePlanet...

Habit Heroes gets kicked to the curb

The new Habit Heroes attraction at Epcot's Innoventions closed suddenly Saturday morning, just three weeks after it opened. An associated website has been shuttered, as well. The exhibit, which purportedly was to teach families how to be healthier, was sponsored by Florida Blue and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.

The exhibit has come under fire from two fronts. One point was that the attraction itself was substandard and that it did not provide any real entertainment. The other, which exploded this week, was that the tactics used in the attraction were counter-productive and in fact would harm those that it purported to help.

A story by Misty Harris of PostMedia News appeared in major newspapers throughout Canada and their websites, quoting several experts on childhood obesity, who unanimously condemned the exhibit. There was no indication of whether there were health professionals who disagreed with those quoted.

One of those cited was Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, an assistant professor of family medicine at the University of Ottawa and family medicine chair of the Canadian Obesity Network. "It's so dumbfounding it's unreal," Dr. Freedhoff was quoted as saying. "I just can't believe somebody out there thought it was a good idea to pick up where the school bullies left off and shame kids on their vacation.… There's no doubt in my mind that overweight and obese kids going through this exhibit are leaving feeling horrible about themselves."

Writer/dancer/activist Ragen Chastain wrote on her "Dances with Fat" blog: "…I’m crying because I know how excited kids get about Disney. Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on Earth and now fat kids – who are subjected to a barrage of shaming, humiliating, stigmatizing, and bullying messages from society on a daily basis – will go on vacation and find out that people who look like them are villains who other kids fight for points and bragging rights. Why doesn’t Disney just hold fat kids down and let park guests kick them?"

A major point in this is that kids who are fat suffer from plenty of self-esteem issues already. In fact, many become fat by assuaging existing self-esteem issues by eating. Will telling them that their snacking is evil make them feel better and more likely to eat healthily, or will it just lead them to diving further into the low-nutrition comfort food?

There's no word yet on if or when Habit Heroes will reopen.

An editorial comment here: As a "Pooh-sized" person myself, I really was uncomfortable with this exhibit based upon many of the photos and videos that were posted. "Working together, you have the power to defeat him," hero Callie Stenics says about "Lead Bottom." "Because he can't resist the power of positive peer pressure," continues hero Will Power. Is positive peer pressure the solution to all physiological problems? I don't think so.

"Habit Heroes" is a classic example of how many people think that quick-fix solutions are the only way to address problems, and that nothing is too difficult or complex to be resolved this way—and that not changing to meet societal norms makes you a "villain." I'll tell you right now that making me feel bad is not going to make me want to do what you want me to. I much preferred the approach of the late, lamented Wonders of Life pavilion, which instead took the approach of making the taking of the first steps more fun and enjoyable. The "Habit Heroes" approach of pitting the "healthy" skinny kids against the "evil" fat kids will only make things worse.

It can only be hoped that the problems with Habit Heroes and the content of the exhibit will be rectified if Disney does reopen the exhibit. Perhaps a better solution would be to instead reopen the Wonders of Life as it existed before its closure. Who wouldn't like to ride a "Wonder Cycle" through Disneyland again, or take a few swings in the batting cage? Watching Buzzy manipulate an adolescent through a stressful day and riding Body Wars' miniaturized vehicle through a human body provided a much better approach to understanding health and perhaps inspiring better choices than the bludgeoning provided by Habit Heroes. Let's see what Disney comes up with. They've got the talent and the ability to do this right. Let's hope that they do.

http://www.mouseplan...d_Resort_Update

A slightly different perspective from AllEars...

Habitat Heroes, an attraction dedicated to conveying a positive message about healthy lifestyles in a fun and empowering way, opened in Innoventions a few weeks ago. Disney says the exhibit was just in a "soft opening" phase, during which they collected feedback from visitors. The exhibit has now been closed indefinitely while refinements to the experience are implemented.

http://allears.net/news/hnews.htm#022512

From Yahoo. Check out the link to the article for the images - really makes you wonder who actually thought this was a good idea?!

Disney's Habit Heroes Accused of "fat-shaming"

By Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Parenting – 16 hours ago

Meet Snacker: Disney's newest fairy at the center of a major controversy.

The zaftig Snacker, along with a bean-bag shaped mob figure named "Glutton" and a ball-bellied couch potato named "Lead Bottom" make of a few of the cartoon villains in Epcot Center's educational exhibit Habit Heroes.

The theme park's interactive experience and corresponding website were created in collaboration with Blue Cross and Blue Shield, to teach kids healthy eating habits. But after a soft launch three weeks ago, critics have accused the exhibit of "fat-shaming," and Disney has responded by closing the exhibit as the company mulls a relaunch. And the website is down for maintenance.

Read more: Another Disney character stirs controversy

"It's so dumbfounding it's unreal," Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, an assistant professor of family medicine, told the Calgary Herald. "I just can't believe somebody out there thought it was a good idea to pick up where the school bullies left off and shame kids on their vacation."

In question are the over-exaggerated body types of the villains and their association with being bad. Visitors entering to the three interactive rooms are first introduced to their heroes: The fit, muscular Will Power and Callie Stenics. They're also confronted with the overweight caricatures, each one a product of unhealthy habits. Snacker loves processed foods, and visitors use arcade guns to shoot vegetables at the cream puffs and hotdogs that surround her like an aura.

The intention is to inspire kids to live healthier, but the message, says Salon's Mary Elizabeth Williams, is that "fat people are bad."

Disney princesses have come under fire before for sending negative messages to young girls about their own waistlines. A recent study found young girls who viewed several Disney movies were more likely to identify a virtuous, aspirational "princess" as someone who's thin. Consider the Little Mermaid, a movie where the slender main character spends most of her time in a bikini, while villain Ursula fills the screen with her voluptuous tentacled body.

Much has changed since the early days of Ariel. We're now living in a country with a 17 percent childhood obesity rate. At the same time, school bullying cases and teen suicides have called attention to the need for sensitivity.

While combating obesity through education is crucial and certainly commendable, it's not as simple as a few cartoons and some tips on diet and exercise. Genetics, finance and family support play key roles in managing kids' weight in a healthy way. So does self-esteem.

A recent Atlanta PSA featuring overweight kids as cautionary tales, became a prime example of how not to teach kids about weight issues. Shame and fear are harmful tactics when it comes to tackling childhood obesity, because weight isn't the only issue on the table.

Disney's Habit Heroes may be learning that lesson. The exhibit has already been shuttered and the website is down for maintenance.

"The attraction is currently closed as we work to further refine the experience," Kathleen Prihoda, Disney's media relations manager told Shine on Wednesday. "Our goal with Habit Heroes is to make sure it conveys a positive message about healthy lifestyles in a fun way."

Read more: Disney's newest cruise line hits the open waters

Now they're looking to fix the fail and relaunch an improved exhibit. Prihoda added that the exhibit had never officially opened. "It was in soft open period, which allows us to get guest feedback, prior to the official opening."

Disney's rep couldn't offer any details on when Habit Heroes would re-launch or what it might look like when it does.

One problem with the exhibit that's harder to fix is its location. Disneyworld has it's share of restaurant options, but it's still a theme park. Funnel cakes and hot dogs are just what you do while you wait on line for Space Mountain. "You want to promote good heath? Start by looking at your own sugar and animal fat-laden menus," writes Salon's Williams. It's hard to practice healthy eating in the happiest place on earth.

Copyright © 2012 Yahoo Inc.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/disneys-habit-heroes-accused-fat-shaming-232300194.html

And I can why it opened at this particular point in time. Oddly enough it was DD11's immediate take on the issue too after learning in health class yesterday that the Obama administration has done away with the traditional food pyramid and officially replaced it with a plate.

I don't think there's a kid out there who doesn't know that you should eat fruits & vegetables. Heaven knows the message played repeatedly saturates every family/kids TV channel these days. It's positively shameful how often overweight children are bombarded by guilt and prejudice today.

A friend's daughter is a twin who has to take prednisone. Every day she sees her identical twin wearing clothes 6 sizes smaller, and as a result more stylish, than she does. The pressure this poor child puts on herself to conform is awful. She was really excited when the Wii-fit game came out to help her burn calories. So excited child steps on the game and goes thru the set-up only to be called obese by a video game for petes sake even before she starts playing. Talk about subtle yet insideous hits to a child's self-esteem. They're everywhere. Makes me want to flog the PC idiots who think up this crap... :argh:

That's just a bizarre story. I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea. Obviously it's some jackass who doesn't have kids, or who never dealt with weight or other body image issues in the past.

I'm picturing in my mind the type of person that came up with this idea, but since this isn't the debate board I'm gonna keep my thougths to myself. :rofl3:

From Screamscape...

(3/7/12) We received word from a Screamscape reader who visited Epcot on Tuesday noticed that the Habit Heroes attraction in Innoventions was seen “testing” to select guests once again, despite the news that it had been shut down. Technically it has never fully opened and was only soft-open to begin with, so it looks like they may be trying to work out the bugs and fix the problem areas of the message.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_epcot.htm#General

• 3 months later...

From MousePlanet. So much for re-Imagineering and trying to save this one...

Habit+Heroes.jpg

Whatever remained of Habit Heroes has been completely covered up and/or removed. While other exhibit areas at Innoventions have signage noting "work in progress," there are no signs present in this exhibit area. Photo by J. Jeff Kober.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10042/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

Maybe they'll replace it with a "Clean Crimefighters" exhibit to jump on the next buzzword in common-sense eating, "clean."

(For the record, I have no prob with "clean" eating proponents, just the idea that the concept is anything new. Billions of people for thousands of years have been eating food with as little processing as possible. It's just got a nice new packaging and PR name. Again.)

Whatever did we do before MARKETING?? :rofl2:

We didn't overpay for stuff I guess.

Hey, I like the clean eating exhibit idea. They could have dancing tomatoes and grains of wheat telling our kids not to eat junk. After the exhibit you can go out for a Mickey rice krispie treat or some deep fried Oreos.

Whatever did we do before MARKETING?? :rofl2:

You know it! How would we ever know how to label our food intake without good marketing? Just in the ten or so years I've been writing health stories, the mandate has gone from saying "healthy" eating to "healthful" eating to "whole food" eating and now "clean" eating. And meanwhile, people in developing countries and all of our ancestors are going, "huh? you mean...just EATING?"

We didn't overpay for stuff I guess.

Hey, I like the clean eating exhibit idea. They could have dancing tomatoes and grains of wheat telling our kids not to eat junk. After the exhibit you can go out for a Mickey rice krispie treat or some deep fried Oreos.

I think in that case, as long as it doesn't fall on the ground, it counts as "clean." :jumpforjoy