Going on our first cruise for spring break.

We will be sailing out of Tampa and the ports are Cozumel and Costa Maya. Steve and I have talked about excursions and we both agree we would like the family to do one to the Mayan Ruins. I would love recommendations for which one to do if anyone has ever gone on one before. Also I have read that sometimes it is better to go with one that is not through the cruiseline. Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations for companies to use or not use if we went that route for booking an excursion?

We will be driving so, which route would be better? When we went to Disney we took 65 South to Birmingham and then Interstate 20 to Interstate 75. Should we take this same way or would it be better just to stay on 65 South and then go on Hwy 280 through Auburn I believe?

Also, do they randomly check your bags or is it only if something shows up through the x-ray scanner. Yes, we would like to try and sneak on some alcohol. :shh: Steve was wondering if those small boxes of wine would be detected on the x-ray machines?

How exciting Yvonne!!! I have no idea on your questions, just keep feeding me details and of course TRIP REPORT!!! I live through all the fiends :)

I know exactly what you mean about living through the fiends. I do that too.

I was already thinking about doing a trip report. I think I will take along a journal so that I can keep track of everything.

We will be sailing out of Tampa and the ports are Cozumel and Costa Maya. Steve and I have talked about excursions and we both agree we would like the family to do one to the Mayan Ruins. I would love recommendations for which one to do if anyone has ever gone on one before. Also I have read that sometimes it is better to go with one that is not through the cruiseline. Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations for companies to use or not use if we went that route for booking an excursion?

We will be driving so, which route would be better? When we went to Disney we took 65 South to Birmingham and then Interstate 20 to Interstate 75. Should we take this same way or would it be better just to stay on 65 South and then go on Hwy 280 through Auburn I believe?

Also, do they randomly check your bags or is it only if something shows up through the x-ray scanner. Yes, we would like to try and sneak on some alcohol. :shh: Steve was wondering if those small boxes of wine would be detected on the x-ray machines?

As far as the route, I have tried every way under the sun to get to FL, and I like Birmingham, Atlanta, I-75. I've tried through Dothan down 231, I've tried through Auburn, I've even tried through Chattanooga, but if you avoid the rush hour times through Atlanta, this is the best route for me.

Bags, I wouldn't chance the alcohol, sorry.

As far as excursions, read through some cruise groups and also ask Rhonda.

Leave the alcohol home, Yvonne. I have been on 12 cruises in the last 5 years, I don't know how they find it but I have seen many,many embarrassed cruises get their booze taken away from them. One clever college student lost a whole case of what looked like water but turned out to be vodka on our last cruise.

I do know on Carnival you are allowed to bring one and it may be two, bottles of wine with you. If you opt to do that bring a corkscrew with you. They charge a hefty fee to uncork it for you.

I know nothing about cruises but I hope you have a great time!!!

Thank you Kim! I hope so too. My son was reluctant about going. He just wanted to stay home for spring break so he could just hang out with his friends and play his XBox. Told him though I understood where he was coming from (he does rarely have time to do either of those as he is so busy with school work and sports) we had not gone on a "real" vacation for two years and it will only be harder to do so as he enters his junior and senior year. Of course when we starting talking about all the food he could have he began to change his mind.

As far as the route, I have tried every way under the sun to get to FL, and I like Birmingham, Atlanta, I-75. I've tried through Dothan down 231, I've tried through Auburn, I've even tried through Chattanooga, but if you avoid the rush hour times through Atlanta, this is the best route for me.

Bags, I wouldn't chance the alcohol, sorry.

As far as excursions, read through some cruise groups and also ask Rhonda.

Thank you Carol. I was hoping you would respond. I was thinking that was the best way to go, but I wasn't positive. I have been reading over on some other cruise boards for ideas. I will let Steve know what you said about the alcohol. I tried telling him we would be able to take it on a Disney cruise, but he wouldn't go for it.

Hope you have a wonderful trip... wish I could go :(

Thank You! I thought I read you were in the process of planning to go on one too.

Leave the alcohol home, Yvonne. I have been on 12 cruises in the last 5 years, I don't know how they find it but I have seen many,many embarrassed cruises get their booze taken away from them. One clever college student lost a whole case of what looked like water but turned out to be vodka on our last cruise.

I do know on Carnival you are allowed to bring one and it may be two, bottles of wine with you. If you opt to do that bring a corkscrew with you. They charge a hefty fee to uncork it for you.

I wish they would allow us to bring one or two bottles of wine with us. They wouldn't allow us to bring anything alcohol or no alcohol. Steve was too concerned about taking on water as he said the water on the ship is probably ok to drink. They have lemonade for the kids to drink. They do offer a wine package that we might look into. I think the cheapest one would be $135 for 5 bottles during our trip. Do you happen to know how much a glass of wine would cost? Trying to figure out if it would just be better to buy per glass (have a glass of wine at dinner) or buy the bottle. I had read about how people try to sneak vodka into water bottles. I told Steve that was how most of them got caught.

Thank you Kim! I hope so too. My son was reluctant about going. He just wanted to stay home for spring break so he could just hang out with his friends and play his XBox. Told him though I understood where he was coming from (he does rarely have time to do either of those as he is so busy with school work and sports) we had not gone on a "real" vacation for two years and it will only be harder to do so as he enters his junior and senior year. Of course when we starting talking about all the food he could have he began to change his mind.

Thank you Carol. I was hoping you would respond. I was thinking that was the best way to go, but I wasn't positive. I have been reading over on some other cruise boards for ideas. I will let Steve know what you said about the alcohol. I tried telling him we would be able to take it on a Disney cruise, but he wouldn't go for it.

Thank You! I thought I read you were in the process of planning to go on one too.

I wish they would allow us to bring one or two bottles of wine with us. They wouldn't allow us to bring anything alcohol or no alcohol. Steve was too concerned about taking on water as he said the water on the ship is probably ok to drink. They have lemonade for the kids to drink. They do offer a wine package that we might look into. I think the cheapest one would be $135 for 5 bottles during our trip. Do you happen to know how much a glass of wine would cost? Trying to figure out if it would just be better to buy per glass (have a glass of wine at dinner) or buy the bottle. I had read about how people try to sneak vodka into water bottles. I told Steve that was how most of them got caught.

We just did a carnival cruise out of Miami last summer, the kids are going to LOVE it!!!

As for the wine, it was cheaper to buy the bottle and even cheaper to get the package deal they offered once on board than it was buying by the glass. You can each bring one bottle of wine in your carry on bag during the embarkation as per Carnivals policy; Here is the policy from Carnivals Cruise site with the link.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=beverage

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. cd

Yvonne- It's been a long time since we sailed Carnival, so I can't give you any advice about the alcohol. We were able to sneak it on for our cruise, but that was before 9/11. I'm sure things are much different now.

We went to Costa Maya on one of our cruises. We did not go on the tour of the ruins, but our tablemates did. This was a DCL cruise, and they went on the official DCL excursion. It is a good thing they did, because they were late getting back (the ruins they went to were over an hour's drive away), and because it was an excursion booked through the ship, they held the ship for them. On DCL, if you book on your own, they do not wait for you if you're late. I would guess Carnival is the same. Trust me, you do not want to get stranded in Costa Maya!

TCD

We are actually sailing on Royal Caribbean so, we can't even take one bottle on with us. :(

I had heard that they won't wait for you if you are late getting back unless you are with the excursion booked through the ship. This is definetly something to consider as the stress of worrying about missing the ship would probably out weigh any extra costs.

I had heard that they won't wait for you if you are late getting back unless you are with the excursion booked through the ship. This is definetly something to consider as the stress of worrying about missing the ship would probably out weigh any extra costs.

It is something you really do need to weigh the pro's and cons of, Yvonne. We have watched many people running to get back to the boat in the nick of time. We have also seen people get left at the dock.

We are actually sailing on Royal Caribbean so, we can't even take one bottle on with us.

That's the other reason we love DCL you bring all you want. The only catch is you have to empty every bottle you open before you get off. That's really not a problem for me...:lol:

That's the other reason we love DCL you bring all you want. The only catch is you have to empty every bottle you open before you get off. That's really not a problem for me... :))

I honestly tried this reasoning for why we should go on a DCL cruise with my husband, but he wasn't going for it.

So, I was looking at the cruiseships options for the Mayan Ruin tours. We will stop in Costa Maya and Cozumel. Which would be the better place for seeing the ruins? Cozumel is our first stop and we arrive at the port at 8am and depart at 6pm. The next day we go to Costa Maya and we arrive at 7am and depart at 4pm.

One of the tours in Costa Maya includes a lunch buffet and an open bar. Pros and Cons on this option verses taking a shorter tour and getting lunch on our own.

• 4 weeks later...

Cozumel is an island and the ruines and I believe the tours are on the mainland. So it would require a ferry ride along with the bus transport.

Thank You Bill!

We've only been on one cruise (DCL) but it did stop at Costa Maya and Cozumel. I have heard that since the ruins are on the mainland, any excursion from Cozumel to the mainland (ruins, hidden river, etc.) will mean an hour or more of bus and ferrying each way. I have also heard that these aren't the best ruins to visit. These are all second hand opinions, however.

We did a snorkeling excursion in Costa Maya and loved it, and also loved the Mexican cuisine seminar at Playa Mia in Cozumel.

So happy for you & your family! You'll have a great time.

Alcohol.....If you take any, take the small one-serving bottles. Try if possible to get those with Plastic caps. Those with metal caps stand out during the x-ray of your luggage. (and yes, EVERY piece of luggage gets x-rayed, no exception) Put a couple of them in with your toiletries. They'll appear as mouthwash, etc. Then separate the rest of them, no more than 2 per piece of luggage. You might still get caught, but less likely. We also always carry the wine with us & a corkscrew. Stop by a bar to get wine glasses, open it in your cabin & then carry the glasses to dinner, no fee for this. (they'll think you bought it at bar before coming to dinner)

We have done the Gervase ruins on Cozumel and also done Tulum (boat ride to Playa del Carmen & then bus to Tulum). Tulum is definitely the better choice, but a long day & pricier. It's a FABULOUS place!! I do NOT suggest you trying to book on your own. Go ahead & book thru the cruiseline. If something happens they'll hold the ship for your group. If you do something on your own & don't get back to ship on time then you'll have fun trying to meet up with the ship at its next stop. If it were some place like St Thomas or St Maarten & you'd been there before that would be one thing, but not in Mexico especially if you do Tulum with all the traveling.

Hope you have a great time!

We've only been on one cruise (DCL) but it did stop at Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I have heard that since the ruins are on the mainland, any excursion from Cozumel to the mainland (ruins, hidden river, etc.) will mean an hour or more of bus and ferrying each way. I have also heard that these aren't the best ruins to visit.  These are all second hand opinions, however.

We did a snorkeling excursion in Costa Maya and loved it, and also loved the Mexican cuisine seminar at Playa Mia in Cozumel.

We decided not book an excursion for Cozumel. In Costa Maya we are going on the excursion to the ruins & village hosted by RCI which includes a lunch buffet & drinks at a beach resort.

Thank you once again for all the advice you have given. I have another question. What is the Wesley Chapel area of Florida like? Would it be considered a "safe area"? The reason I am asking is that is where we are looking to spend the night before the cruise. I have looked into some of the hotels closer to the port that offer the stay and cruise packages, but Steve said he would rather just leave the van parked right there in the garage at the port. Of course most hotels nearby are rather pricey. Looking at the map it looks at though Wesley Chapel would be on our way to the port and would only be about 1/2 hour away from the port itself. There is a Best Western which according to Trip Advisor has some excellent reviews which are recent. We are not looking for anything fancy and do not need a place with lots to do as we will be plenty busy for the next week. So, mainly it will be a place to rest our heads for the night and depending on what time we get there maybe grab a bite to eat for dinner.

I live in the Tampa area and Wesley Chapel is north of us, it takes us almost 2 hours to get to the port, WC is on 75 and you have to come south to get on 4, Maybe try to find something on 192 or someplace in Orlando, if not Plant City or Lakeland which would be closer. I know WC have a lot of nice areas not sure if there are any bad ones.

Oh I'm sorry should have read where you were going from I was thinking Port Canaveral. Then WC would be fine. When are you going? wish I could drive you and you could leave your car at my house. Is the Hotel right off I-75 it should be good area.