From MiceChat...

Rediscover Disney's Discovery Island

by

The 62602-11-2012 at 09:52 PM

discoverylogo.jpg

Disney's Animal Kingdom, though still relatively new, is one of the most popular Walt Disney theme parks in the world today. The exciting prospect of being able to get up close and personal with some of the world's most exotic animals is a fantastic opportunity that many guests do not want to miss.

But Animal Kingdom is not the first time the Walt Disney Company allowed guests to see wild animals in a realistic recreation of their natural habitat. In fact, years before Animal Kingdom even existed, there was another park that afforded guests a similar experience.

tphoto.jpg

When Walt was first seeking out the perfect place for Walt Disney World, he flew over some parcels of land to get a feel for the area from above. Rumor has it that on one of these many "fly bys", Walt fell in love with a tranquil, 11 acre island located in the middle of Bay Lake; so much so that Walt decided that this was the perfect area to build his new kingdom on the East Coast.

The island has a colorful history. From around 1900 to 1937, it was known as Raz Island, named after the family that lived and farmed on it. Not long after, Delmar Nicholson purchased the island for the paltry sum of $800 as a home for his family.

Delmar, also known as "Radio Nick", was Florida's first radio DJ, as well as a botanist and avid outdoorsman. Delmar renamed the island Idle Bay Isle, and lived there with his wife and their pet sand hill crane. The Nicholson family grew a wide variety of fruit and plant life, which they sold to local markets. After living there for almost 20 years, Delmar's declining health forced him to sell the island to a group of local businessmen as a hunting retreat. The property was again renamed, this time to Riles Island. It wasn't until 1965 that Disney bought the island.

tmap.jpg

Walt had big plans for this little getaway, and renamed it Blackbeard's Island. However, when Walt Disney World was opened in 1971, the island still sat unused. It wasn't until 1974 that construction began to turn the island into a new attraction.

When the island opened in April 1974, it was given the new name of Treasure Island. In the spirit of the original name that Walt had given it, the island had the fictitious distinction of being a pirate's hideaway, complete with shipwrecks and buried treasure hidden throughout. It also borrowed some elements from the live action Disney film of the same name.

tbrochure.jpg

Treasure Island remained this way for quite some time, until a major renovation closed it in early 1976. This transformation of the island caused it to lose much of its pirate theming. Close to 50,000 cubic yards of soil were brought to help expand its size. Flowers, trees, and plants from all over the world were added to change the island into a tropical paradise. When it was reopened in April 1976, it had a new name: Discovery Island.

The island was now home to Avian Way, a walk-through attraction that featured exotic birds from all over the world. It even had its own snack bar, The Thirsty Perch. To visit Discovery Island, you had to take a boat from either the Contemporary or Polynesian Resorts, and it required a "Special Adventure" ticket to gain entry. Extremely educational in nature, it wasn't a big hit with the crowds. In an effort to draw more attendance to the island, Disney added other forms of wildlife to its makeshift habitat. In June 1978, new exhibits based on American alligators and Galapagos tortoises were introduced.

tbook.jpg

Despite being an overlooked attraction, Discovery Island was also an important exercise in wildlife conservation. Disney was awarded several special honors for their work in preservation and breeding of many exotic animals on Discovery Island. In fact, they were the first in the world to breed a Toco toucan, an extremely rare form of toucan, in captivity. At one point, more than 140 difference species of animals (ranging from beautiful butterflies to the fierce bald eagle and even a few primates!) and over 250 species of plants inhabited the island, many of which were on the verge of extinction.

For example, it was the home of the last remaining Dusky Seaside Sparrow before it died in 1987. Because of their work in educating the public, and their success in conservation, Disney was granted accreditation by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association in 1979.

logo.jpg

Aside from its educational purposes, Discovery Island also had its share of Disney magic. The most notable was a 1977 promotion for the animated film The Rescuers. Ten families had a chance to win a Walt Disney World vacation and the opportunity to find a diamond worth $25,000 hidden on the island. Disney also installed a scavenger hunt on the island to make learning about its tropical inhabitants more fun for its smaller guests. Completed answer sheets for the hunt could be traded in for a Jiminy Cricket Environment Awareness button.

pin.jpg

Legal troubles in 1989 marked the beginning of the end for Discovery Island. Disney came under scrutiny when the Island's director and four employees were charged with mishandling some wild birds and vultures. They were also accused of shooting falcons and hawks, known predators to some of the island's inhabitants, and destroying their nests. Disney argued that the employees were merely trying to relocate the animals, but with disastrous results. They soon settled the case and updated their policies on animal care, but things just weren't the same after that.

When Animal Kingdom opened in 1998, it further hurt Discovery Island's status. Animal Kingdom and Discovery Island shared the similar theme of bringing the wildlife of the world to guest's feet. Animal Kingdom had the advantage of being much more easily accessible than Discovery Island, and had a wider variety of things to do. Discovery Island's attendance rates were already low, but they suffered a greater hit with Animal Kingdom now open.

map.jpg

Disney officials closed Discovery Island a year later, feeling that it had run its course. However, this was not the end! Rumors swirled for years about what was going to become of the island. It was once thought that the island would return to being a tropical hideaway, a safe haven for guests who wanted to live on their own private paradise when visiting Walt Disney World.

For a time in the late 90's, Disney toyed with bring the successful Myst video game to life on Discovery Island. Guests would have been transported to the island to explore and solve the riddles of Myst for themselves. But, by 1999, the expense and practicality of turning Discovery Island into a highly detailed and special effects laden experience for a small group of guests ultimately sunk that concept.

In early 2008, plans were forming to transform the island into a nighttime entertainment spot to fill the gap that Pleasure Island left after it closed. In September 2008, those plans were dropped, and another idea brought the island back to its "discovery" theme. Disney wanted to turn it into a hands-on interaction between guests and the animals. These new plans included places for guests to swim with dolphins, help feed hippos, and even travel down a zip line from the top of a tall tree! With the recent recession of the economy, these plans hit a snag and were recently put on hold due to the high price tag.

The island remains mostly empty. Its only inhabitants are a few birds who took up residence since everyone else left. Other than a few "urban explorers", there are no visitors. However, with its prime location in the middle of Bay Lake, and its gorgeous surroundings, it won't be long before people are once again visiting Discovery Island.

So tell me, MiceChat readers...have you ever been to Discovery Island? I'd love to hear what you thought of it. What do you think Disney should do, if anything, with the island now that it sits empty?

http://micechat.com/blogs/the-626/3132-rediscover-disneys-discovery-island.html

Maybe a miniature Castaway Cay Day Spa? Call it "Blackbeard's Cay Day Spa".. to honer Walt!!!

20 premium 325-square-foot private, furnished cabanas in 2 locations: Castaway Family Beach (for families) and Serenity Bay Beach (for adults)

An extension of more than 700 feet to the all-ages Castaway Family Beach

2 Pool Areas: Pelican Plunge and Spring-a-Leak

3 additional private, Lake-view massage cabanas at the adults-only Serenity Bay Beach

The Hide Out, a teens-only activity area on the beach.

Things to Do and See

Mini Castaway Cay visitors find an island completely outfitted for premium family leisure. Ample amenities include open-air BBQ dining locations, 2 shops featuring Mini Castaway Cay gifts and souvenirs.

. Also enjoy:

Swimming, water sports and more at the various teens-only, adults-only and all-ages area pools.

Open-air massages with an Lake view, a yoga class and a bar at the secluded, adults-only beach, Serenity Bay

Port Adventures for everyone in the family, including stingray interactions, glass-bottom boat tours, parasailing and fishing.

Childcare at Scuttle's Cove, an expansive child's area supervised by Disney counselors.

Disney Character Greetings, including a Dance Party with Lilo and Stitch

Island Adventures Await

Mini Castaway Cay invites guest to enjoy balmy tropical weather and world-class recreation on a Bahamian like oasis with signature Disney hospitality. Be sure to check out the Mini Castaway Cay-vents activities schedule. After disembarking to Mini Castaway Cay, you can obtain beach towels and use your convenient Key to the World cards for retail transactions on the island.

http://disneycruise....s/castaway-cay/

Monique- Thanks for posting this. It is a very good article. We were lucky enough to have visited Discovery Island several times while it was still open. Even the TCD twins got to go, but they are too young to remember. My oldest daughter still talks about the time we ran into a capybara, which was just wandering around the island. I don't understand why they don't use this island in some capacity- they already have plenty of boats driving right past it, so getting folks on and off of it would not be a problem.

TCD

We were down there in the late 80s early 90s when Disney was making the news b/c of the way they were dealing with an over population of buzzards on Discovery Island. This was pre AK. The press wasn’t good at all. I imagine that something "endangered" could be on that island, and Disney is avoiding any uproar with the environmentalist.

OR

Disney may be just waiting until they build a DVC between the lodge and campground to do anything.

This is a long shot, but per the plans that have previously dissected, was a pool area ever narrowed down? And it discussed that some of the DVC may cantilever over the lake. And as someone stated, the boats run by there. Why couldn’t TJ’s suggestion be taken seriously, for the lake resort guests?

Why couldn’t TJ’s suggestion be taken seriously, for the lake resort guests?

I think something like that actually could work. They could build some recreation facilities out there and charge for day use. I think people would go for some kind of a quiet getaway type place. They could also put some villas or cabins out there, and charge a premium for them.

TCD

I think something like that actually could work. They could build some recreation facilities out there and charge for day use. I think people would go for some kind of a quiet getaway type place. They could also put some villas or cabins out there, and charge a premium for them.

TCD

i am only surprised they haven't thought of it yet...

i am only surprised they haven't thought of it yet...

I'm sure that somebody has floated the idea, and that the beancounters shot it down. There would be a lot of overhead with building on the island, and then providing housekeeping and other services. The current vision clearly is to pack as many people in to a small a place as possible (see Bay Lake Tower and the Art of Animation Resort). That model would not work on this little island.

TCD

I'm sure that somebody has floated the idea, and that the beancounters shot it down. There would be a lot of overhead with building on the island, and then providing housekeeping and other services. The current vision clearly is to pack as many people in to a small a place as possible (see Bay Lake Tower and the Art of Animation Resort). That model would not work on this little island.

TCD

all the more reason it would be popular to have an exclusive resort on an Island. Just imagine all those people with obscene amounts of disposable income. Add in exclusive transportation to any where in WDW.....

Not an environmentalist, I'll leave that hippy stuff to Ed. :wave1:

But as an accountant I see it this way. Disney will encroach on the area between the Fort and Lodge, and have to complete an impact study, engineering study, save the dirt dobber and such study. So why not wait and let that overhead cost cover the Discovery Island area refurb as well. And additionally, I would throw in the DI as part of the master plan, and if I had to give something in to the greenies, it would be DI. Because then I wouldn't incur any costs by letting it stay the way it is now.

My $.02, that will not go into the bail fund raising it to $.49.

all the more reason it would be popular to have an exclusive resort on an Island. Just imagine all those people with obscene amounts of disposable income. Add in exclusive transportation to any where in WDW.....

Yes, there are folks with obscene amounts of disposable income that Disney helps them to dispose in Grand Villas and things like that on the DVC side of the business. So, I could see Discovery Island being used in some capacity if and when they ever build the rumored DVC rooms in the former area of River Country. But, I don't see them developing the island as a stand-alone attraction- even though with the boat access, it is still hard to get to (where would guests park their cars?).

TCD

I know. I know. I know... Fort Wilderness overflow lot?

Yes. Which is where guests had to park to visit River Country and Discovery Island. That didn't work so good.

But, the rumors about the new DVC resort include the rumor that the reason a new horse barn is being built is that the current TCD ranch area is going to be a big parking lot for the new resort. When and if that happens, it would be much easier for guests to visit Discovery Island.

TCD

Yes. Which is where guests had to park to visit River Country and Discovery Island. That didn't work so good.

But, the rumors about the new DVC resort include the rumor that the reason a new horse barn is being built is that the current TCD ranch area is going to be a big parking lot for the new resort. When and if that happens, it would be much easier for guests to visit Discovery Island.

TCD

Boooooooooo

No they are going to build a new monorail line directly to the island, and Lou will be its pilot!

I'm pretty sure that will be a very cold day in you know where before the above happens.

Ok which part?? That they build another monorail? Or that Lou is piloting it? Or Both? :rofl2: