I have stayed at FW about 20 different times both in an RV and in the cabins. This time I have a problem, we no longer have a camper. We do have a large, three-room tent, and are looking to use it on our next visit. Can anyone tell me a specific area or even a specific camp site that would be ideal for a large 3-room tent? It needs to be very near a comfort station. Any specific direction?

Personally, I love, love, love the 1500 loop. When we stayed in 1506, we were only a short walk from the comfort station, plus just close enough (but not too close) to the bus stop. Also, 1500 is close to the pool, the campfire, and the Meadows Trading post.

I would send a fax to reservations about 5-7 days before you are due to arrive. Let them know the dimensions of the tent and your preferences. I found that worked just fine.

Here is a copy of what i faxed them, with my personal information removed.

The fax# for the Fort is: 407-824-3508

November 3, 2010

TO: Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground Site Assigner

My street addy

My town, state zip

SUBJECT: Site Request for November 8-12th, 2010

RE: Reservation # xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am really looking forward to my stay at the Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground and am writing about campsite requests. I do understand that these are only requests and cannot be guaranteed.

If possible, I would like a site in Loop 1500 with a site that will accomodate the following: a tent (16’ x 9’), a screen tent 10’x10’ and some pup tents. I wish to be in the 1500 loop because my husband is disabled and it would better to be closer to the Meadowlands Pool and area.

Thanks so much for your help, and once again I’m really looking forward to my visit to Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at #XXX-XXX-XXXX or by email at [email protected]

Sincerely,

For large tent setups, I like 1503, 1517, and 1520.

For me, 1506 had a tree in a weird spot.

2000 loop is the other partial loop, and 99% of those sites are VERY large. However, in the last couple of years, the 2000 loop seems to get overrun by large tenting groups that are loud, stay up late, and lots of kids all in the road. (Mostly weekends, especially 3-day holiday weekends.)

You can request a loop and site, but if 1500 is full when you arrive, you will be assigned 2000.

Also, in the full hookup category, Loop 1700 has some good sized sand areas, where large tents can be set up. Anything from 1727 to 1735 is very close to the comfort station.

A friend of ours, here on this board, (Total Joker) had a very large tent and a travel trailer set up on 1610 (also in the full hookup category). A mid-sized walk to the comfort station.

Avoid the 1900 loop if you book full hookup.

A friend of ours, here on this board, (Total Joker) had a very large tent and a travel trailer set up on 1610 (also in the full hookup category). A mid-sized walk to the comfort station.

I looked through all my photos, but i didn't take many of the set up. If you have a any good ones Carol, feel free to post them.

The tent is 11'X20'. I'm guessing the sand pad is 20'X21' "roughly". And the TT is 26'. So the pavement is 16'X75' "roughly".

Hope this helps.

My tent.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-Person-3-Room-XL-Camping-Tent-20-x-11/16386306

We used to tent camp there before they changed the pet policy to require a "hard sided camper with air conditioning".

The first couple of times...we were in dedicated tent loops...and had no problems. Then once they put us in an RV loop. There wasn't enough of that sand/shell aggregate to put tent pegs into for our size tent. Then they sent us to another loop...same problem --- and worse yet...it was right next to the busy loop road...so car headlights would have been beaming into the tent all evening. We finally drove around and found a site and called them to see if it was available...and it was.

I honestly am amazed at how clueless their reservations department is.

This past week...we requested a "pet friendly"...and "on the canal"... We gave them a list of site numbers for reference. When we got there --- they where clueless. We asked if any of the sites where available --- they said NO. When we got to our site...the site right across the street from us was empty (one of the ones we had requested)... and guess what?? Nobody was EVER in that site --- the entire 6 nights we stayed there.

We didn't even get our "checkout" envelope this time!

It's going to get ugly trying to manage 700+ sites with absolutely "NO CLUE" what's going on in the front office.

At least the guy with the leaf blower came around three times this past week to blow off that "On CANAL" site that wasn't available when we checked in.

Next time...I guess we need to send a scout ahead to go looping to see what sites are actually open before we pull into the registration lanes.

We like having the canal behind us to walk the dogs at night --- without dragging them through the campground where they would cause disruption. They are Samoyeds...and pack dogs love to bark for attention where ever they go. If they see people or dogs...they bark...as if to rally the pack! If we can slip out the back of our campsite onto the canal --- it helps keep things a little quieter for everyone else. We usually walk them along the canals to the Waggin' Tails Dog Park...also to prevent disrupting as many people as possible. We reallize that not everyone camps with dogs...and we try not to impose on their solitude if we can help it.

...If we can slip out the back of our campsite onto the canal --- it helps keep things a little quieter for everyone else. We usually walk them along the canals to the Waggin' Tails Dog Park...also to prevent disrupting as many people as possible. We reallize that not everyone camps with dogs...and we try not to impose on their solitude if we can help it.

Same here - that's why we like the 300 loop and usually try and get a site close to the entrance to the dog walk. In our case we can't actually get a site that backs up to the dog walk because our knuckleheads would bark at every dog that went by.

We've actually been really lucky with site requests. Not sure if it's because we book preferred pet and that pretty much means 300 (which is what we want), or if it's because we generally check in during slower times of the year, and usually fairly early in the day, but we're currently 4 for 4 with site requests.

We note our preferences on our reservation, then fax 4 days ahead. We always give them our top 3-5 sites, and why (all dog related of course), and have gotten our top 1 or 2 the past 4 years.

We have had mixed luck with sites. However this last weekend, we showed up first thing in the morning and our site wasn't ready yet. We got a golf cart and went looping and found the perfect site, then went up front and requested it! It worked out perfectly!!!!