dehydrator recipes for doggy treats?

MIL makes jerky for our pups. Buy a cheap roast and cut into strips about 1/8" - 1/4" thick. If you want to go the easy route, you can pick out a roast and have the butcher put it on the slicer. Then just pop them in the dehydrator. No salt or seasoning required for the mutts (actually better for them without)

For people, same process but either marinade or dry rub and let sit overnight before dehydrating.

ETA: forgot to mention - key to storage is making sure no moisture gets in, otherwise they will go moldy. If you keep in a plastic bag, good to poke a few holes or not seal up tight. If it stays cool and dry it will last a very long time. We've got some at home now that MIL made the dogs for Christmas.

Hmm... never tried the freezer. I'd bet it stores fine, but I would think you need to "air it out" when you take it out. Otherwise I'd think it'll not only get a little soggy, but be prone to spoiling faster.

Or I suppose you can just give it to them frozen - that would make it slower to chew too!

so, i set up the dehydrator w/the chicken. statrted it at 5 ish-checked on it before i went to bed. the dogs couldn't get their noses high enough. smelled good-looked good. might of been done but, i figured i would leave it on over nite. got up this morning and the dehydrator was off...the chicken was done-i baked it 1/2 hr in the oven at 165 after.

then i checked the outlet-good. i plugged the dehydrator into another outlet - nothing. so, it will be going back this weekend. >:(

they love it. but, a couple pieces of chicken doesn't go far. i am gonna have to make 3 lbs at a time to make it worth while.. lol

i will take it back this weekend. not sure if i will get another nesco. although, someone at work said if they are going to break down-he's heard it will happen right away.

i will take it back this weekend. not sure if i will get another nesco. although, someone at work said if they are going to break down-he's heard it will happen right away.

I have a nesco that I've had about ten years with no problems. Hoping you just got a bad one and the new one lasts for you.

• 1 month later...

the chicken is a go... love using the dehydrator for this. awesome treats for the pups. i had to make one adjustment--make the pieces a little bigger. certain pups were just swallowing the whole piece.

after dehydrating the chicken i would put it in the oven about 1/2 hr at 175--just to be safe and froze any extra strips i made.

today we are trying to make dehydrated sweet potato sticks.. i found a few different ways to make them. i decided to blanch them first and then dehydrate. we'll see tomorrow how they turn out!