From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Cape May Cafe Clambake

Mar 5th, 2012 by AJ.

Ready for a beach vacation and a seaside buffet meal? We’re headed to Cape May Cafe in Disney World’s Beach Club Resort to enjoy a guest favorite dinner buffet — The Cape May Cafe Clambake!

Atmosphere

The Cape May Cafe Clambake was a dinner I’d never been to, and one my mom had been dying to try. So when my parents were in Disney World at the same time we were recently, we gave it a go!

Cape May Cafe is an open and airy buffet restaurant adorned with pastel impressionist paintings depicting beach scenes, colorful beach umbrellas and folding chairs, carpet that brings beach balls to mind, and the stick style architecture seen throughout Disney’s Beach Club Resort.

yc-capemay-nightpics-bw-099.jpg

Cape May Cafe Decor

Tables are set up as booths, banquettes, and full tables, and there are two dining rooms — the main dining room seen here, and a secondary, smaller dining room off to the side of the entrance.

Eats

The Cape May Cafe Clambake is one of my preferred buffet restaurants. Though the meal is very popular, it doesn’t feel overly crowded. And the food available is some of the best when it comes to buffets in Disney World.

If you’re a seafood lover, you’ll be in heaven; but even if you’d rather stay on land when it comes to your food, there’s plenty for you here.

The soups offer a strong New England flair with Cape May Cafe Clam Chowder and Ham and Bean soup!

Soups1-500x259.jpg

Soups

There are ample salad and fruit appetizer offerings, complete with several dressings.

Caesar-Salad-and-Fruit-500x333.jpg

Caesar Salad and Fruit

Salad-500x440.jpg

Salad

Salad-Dressings-500x330.jpg

Salad Dressings

Salads-and-Apps-500x325.jpg

Salads

I’m always a fan of a restaurant that offers me all-you-can-eat cornbread, and this was quite good.

rolls-and-corn-bread-with-butter-500x303.jpg

Rolls and Corn Bread with Butter

Shrimp and sauces were also available as an appetizer (make-your-own shrimp cocktail!).

Shrimp-and-Sauces-500x317.jpg

Shrimp and Sauces

Now if you love seafood like my mom does, here’s where you can really dive in!

Fall-11-Day-11-food-and-wine-110-431x525.jpg

Dinner Menu - click image for larger version

The snow crab legs were BEAUTIFUL! And these are regularly refilled; so if you don’t like the leftovers, just wait for another batch!

Snow-Crab-Legs-500x333.jpg

Snow Crab Legs

Steamed clams received rave reviews at my table.

Steamed-Clams-500x316.jpg

Steamed Clams

And this Portuguese Stew with mussels, clams, shrimp, leeks, fennel, carrots, red-skinned potatoes, chorizo, garlic, onions, orange zest, and salt was truly amazing. You really don’t find intriguing dishes like this on many buffets at theme parks, so I couldn’t wait to dig in!

Portuguese-Stew-and-Mashed-Potatoes-500x249.jpg

Portuguese Stew and Mashed Potatoes

Once you’re finished with that side of the buffet, dive in over here where you’ll find steamed mussels, batter fried shrimp, and the all-important (at a clambake anyway) corn on the cob! (Don’t forget the drawn butter, of course!)

Fall-11-Day-11-food-and-wine-123-466x525.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

Mussels-steamed-in-a-linguica-sausage-and-lemon-broth-500x333.jpg

Mussels Steamed in a Linguica Sausage and Lemon Broth

spicy-cabbage-with-rainbow-chard-and-bacon-500x508.jpg

Spicy Cabbage with Rainbow Chard and Bacon

Batter-Fried-Shrimp-and-Red-Skinned-Potatoes-500x221.jpg

Batter Fried Shrimp and Red Skinned Potatoes

corn-on-the-cob-and-pasta-side-500x333.jpg

Corn on the Cob and Pasta Side

If you’d rather stick to fewer fish options, there was an entire buffet side just for you.

Fall-11-Day-11-food-and-wine-108-500x514.jpg

Menu - Click image for larger version

The vegetarian penne with tomatoes, spinach, and parmesan was light and delicious. I loved the fun spicy tomato sauce for the beef tips.

Penne-with-Tomatoes-Spinach-and-Parmesan-AND-Marinated-Beef-Tips-in-a-Spicy-Tomato-Sauce-500x256.jpg

Penne with Tomatoes, Spinach, and Parmesan; Marinated Beef Tips in a Spicy Tomato Sauce

Ribs got high marks from my table-mates!

Roast-Chicken-and-Pork-Ribs-500x246.jpg

Roast Chicken and Pork Ribs

Carving-Station-500x274.jpg

Carving Station

For the kiddos, there’s a special section at a lower height from the others! icon_smile.gif It features pizza, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and yummy green beans!

Kids-secion-pizza-500x236.jpg

Kids Section: Pizza

Kids-Section-mac-and-cheese-chicken-nuggets-beans-500x455.jpg

Kids Section: Mac and Cheese, Chicken Nuggets, and Beans

TO BE CONTINUED...

The desserts at Cape May Cafe are very well-done…and they make sure you see these first! They’re set out right at the entry to the restaurant!

Brownies-470x525.jpg

Brownies

Cake-500x361.jpg

Cake

Cookies-500x331.jpg

Cookies

Cupcakes-500x222.jpg

Cupcakes

flan-1-500x333.jpg

Flan

Lemon-Tarts-448x525.jpg

Key Lime Tarts

Strawberry-Cheesecake-371x525.jpg

Strawberry Cheesecake

Sugar-Cookies-484x525.jpg

Sugar Cookies

Milky-Way-Pie-500x351.jpg

Milky Way Pie

The true cult favorite at Cape May Cafe — people have been in love with these for years — are the Oreo Bon Bons! These oreo cookies topped with cookies and cream mousse and dusted in chocolate are decadent and delicious!

oreo-bon-bons-500x410.jpg

Oreo Bon Bons

Oreo-Bon-Bon-cross-section-500x416.jpg

Oreo Bon Bon Cross-Section

And my mom was celebrating her birthday here, so the restaurant was kind enough to bring over a Happy Birthday treat!

Birthday-Dessert-456x525.jpg

Birthday Dessert

Overall

Like I said, Cape May Cafe is one of my favorite buffets on property — both for breakfast and for dinner — and I can highly recommend it if you’re headed to Disney World with your family.

It’s a great spot if you’re staying in the Epcot Resort area, or even if you’re visiting Epcot. You can start out your day at the character buffet breakfast, or pop over to the clambake after a long day in Epcot for a little relaxation!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/05/review-cape-may-cafe-clambake/

I know that the crab legs seem to come and go from the menu every few years. I think we went in 2008 and there were no crab legs at all. We were told at the time it was a "clam" bake, not a "crab" bake. But then I guess that could be on only certain day thing too. The rest of the buffet was hot and cold were it was supposed to be and I don't remember anyone hating it.

I just looked at the menu at debs site and close to the bottom it says:

Seafood Selections

Snow Crab Legs, Steamed Clams, Prince Edward Island Sound Mussels,

Baked Seasonal Fish, Tortellini with Lobster Sauce, Seafood Pot Pie,

and Fried Cod (Sunday and Friday),

Batter-Fried Calamari (Tuesday and Thursday),

Fried Shrimp (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday)

Here is the link:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_cmc.htm

I just looked at the menu at debs site and close to the bottom it says:

Seafood Selections

Snow Crab Legs, Steamed Clams, Prince Edward Island Sound Mussels,

Baked Seasonal Fish, Tortellini with Lobster Sauce, Seafood Pot Pie,

and Fried Cod (Sunday and Friday),

Batter-Fried Calamari (Tuesday and Thursday),

Fried Shrimp (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday)

Here is the link:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_cmc.htm

Thanks a ton for this information!! :jumpforjoy

• 2 weeks later...