From WDW Magic...

Disney Announces Heroes Work Here – a Company-Wide Initiative To Hire, Train and Support Military Veterans

Mar 14, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo., March 13, 2012 – Today at The Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) Annual Shareholder meeting in Kansas City, President and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Iger announced Heroes Work Here, a new company-wide initiative to hire, train and support returning veterans. The new program continues Disney’s long history of respect and appreciation for the U.S. Armed Forces by expanding the company’s commitment to recognize and honor the sacrifice and service of these men and women.

As part of the initiative, Disney will provide at least 1,000 jobs and career opportunities for returning U.S. veterans over the next three years, support military families and veterans during their transition into civilian life, and launch a national public awareness campaign to encourage all employers across the U.S. to hire veterans.

In addition to providing career opportunities for veterans, Disney will also invest in select non-profit organizations that provide training and other support services. Through the Disney VoluntEARS program, employees will also engage in service projects with veterans’ organizations in communities around the country. The public awareness campaign, featuring veterans currently employed in various businesses across The Walt Disney Company, will highlight their value, encourage companies to hire these highly skilled men and women, and direct them to the Joining Forces initiative for more information.

Mr. Iger debuted the first spot at the conference, which can be viewed here: http://di.sn/HeroesWorkHere

“As a new generation of America’s military men and women transition into civilian life, we are increasing our commitment and support for these modern day heroes,” said Mr. Iger. “It’s a measure of our respect for how much they have sacrificed on our behalf, and our sincere gratitude for their extraordinary contributions to this country.”

He added, “The military values of honor, integrity, commitment, and courage, along with the skills and experience they’ve gained through their service, make veterans incredibly valuable employees for any company.”

Heroes Work Here includes recruitment efforts across all segments of The Walt Disney Company, including ESPN, the Disney-ABC Television Group, Disney Consumer Products, The Walt Disney Studios, and Disney Parks and Resorts. The company will host career fairs and participate in events designed to showcase opportunities for returning military personnel.

Information about Heroes Work Here and available positions for veterans can be found at a dedicated section of the Disney Careers Website.

http://disneycareers.com/en/working-here/heroes-work-here

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/Walt-Disney-Company/News/14Mar2012-Disney-Announces-Heroes-Work-Here-%E2%80%93-a-Company-Wide-Initiative-To-Hire,-Train-and-Support-Military-Veterans.htm

More from the Disney Parks Blog...

Disney Announces ‘Heroes Work Here’

posted on March 13th, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

hwh289351SMALLb.jpg

Did you hear? We’re looking for military heroes to join the team. Disney President and CEO Bob Iger just announced a new company-wide initiative to hire, train and support returning veterans called Heroes Work Here. It’s exciting news and we’ve got the details. Disney will:

• Provide at least 1,000 jobs, career opportunities for returning U.S. veterans over the next three years.
  • Support military families, veterans transitioning into civilian life.
  • Launch a national public awareness campaign to encourage job opportunities for veterans.

So, what job opportunities are we talking about? They’ll run the gamut from internships to leadership roles and span all segments of The Walt Disney Company. To support this effort, the company will host career fairs and participate in events showcasing job opportunities for returning military personnel.

Disney will also invest in select non-profit organizations that provide training and other support services for veterans, while Disney VoluntEARS will lend their time and talents to the effort through service projects with veterans’ organizations across the country.

Also, be sure and keep an eye out for some of the talented veterans already employed at Disney in TV spots to encourage other companies to create opportunities for returning military personnel. To learn more about Heroes Work Here, visit the Disney Careers website.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/disney-announces-heroes-work-here/

That sounds good, I'll take it, and on the surface it makes for good PR, but 1000 jobs over three years for a company that employs 156,000 people, sounds a little weak to me.

I think qualified, I stress qualified, Vets should be moved to the top of the list.

I would think that the WD Co. hires 333 Vets a year just in the regular course of doing business. I'm confused, why is this news?

That sounds good, I'll take it, and on the surface it makes for good PR, but 1000 jobs over three years for a company that employs 156,000 people, sounds a little weak to me.

I think qualified, I stress qualified, Vets should be moved to the top of the list.

I would think that the WD Co. hires 333 Vets a year just in the regular course of doing business. I'm confused, why is this news?

Its a PR gimic to make them look and feel good is all. The state of Florida allready has a similar initiative where they give hiring prefrence to vets. It rarely works out for the vets. It will do one of two things. It will place vets it low paying jobs as a means to make the company look good, or it will place unqualified vets into jobs just for the sake of hiring a vet. I agree with you anyway. The company hires more vets then they realize, but it is not publicised. Now they can be the good guy. I see little benefit to the vets out there.

Government contracting works much the same way, all smoke and mirrors. We have contracts we bid, where we have to show we are subcontracting certain percentages to Small Disadvantaged Business, HubZone businesses, Women-Owned Small Business, Veteran Owned business, etc, etc.

Well most of those companies have figure heads that meet those requirements, very few of those businesses truly meet the spirit of the qualifications.

I'm also betting that Disney is doing this for tax purposes, loan/cash flow purposes, and "fair employment" government rules purposes.

There are waaaay too many government boxes to check for any and all business these days.

To support this effort, the company will host career fairs and participate in events showcasing job opportunities for returning military personnel.

Disney will also invest in select non-profit organizations that provide training and other support services for veterans, while Disney VoluntEARS will lend their time and talents to the effort through service projects with veterans’ organizations across the country.

Yes, it's good PR, but it isn't like they are doing nothing but hiring the next 1000 veterans that wander in off the street. It sounds like they are spending resources and reaching out. My company has nothing more than a poster on the wall saying we don't discriminate.

I say good on Disney, even if they are doing nothing more than setting a good example.

It would be interesting to see how many veterans are already on the payroll, though.

I'm also betting that Disney is doing this for tax purposes, loan/cash flow purposes, and "fair employment" government rules purposes.

There are waaaay too many government boxes to check for any and all business these days.

That's true, employers that hire Vets can apply for tax credits and if they're coming off active duty, the gov't may pay for some and in some cases, for all of the relocation expenses.

• 2 months later...

From the Disney Parks Blog...

‘Heroes Work Here’ Update

posted on May 23rd, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

We have a few updates to share regarding The Walt Disney Company’s Heroes Work Here initiative. First, we’re thrilled to announce that we’ve hired about 250 veterans for roles throughout our company since announcing the effort here on the blog in March. And that’s only the beginning – our goal is to provide jobs and career opportunities to at least 1,000 military vets over the next three years.

hwh118943SMALL.jpg

Next, we’ve kicked off the first of three Heroes Work Here Career Expos . Yesterday, Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger welcomed veterans to the Walt Disney Studios Lot in Burbank for an event designed to help attendees sharpen their job-seeking skills, like resume writing and interviewing techniques. Participants also had the opportunity to meet Disney recruiters and network with Cast Members who served in the military. Similar events are planned for New York City tomorrow and Walt Disney World Resort on Thursday.

Bob was joined at today’s event by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), a Department of Defense organization, that promotes cooperation between its members and civilian employers. Bob signed an ESGR Statement of Support as a reflection of our commitment to the many guardsmen, reservists and veterans who work at Disney.

Of course, the expos and hiring program are just a part of the Disney Heroes Work Here commitment. An awareness campaign to encourage employers across the U.S. to hire veterans has already launched. We’re also investing in four organizations – Blue Star Families, The Mission Continues, USA Cares, and the Boys and Girls Clubs of America – that provide training and other services to veterans and their families.

If you’d like to learn more, please visit the Heroes Work Here Disney Careers website.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/heroes-work-here-update/

I think it is a good initiative and maybe they will end up hiring more than 1000. If 1000 is the goal, they could always blow the goal out of the water. I think the money spent on commercials and PSAs alone is a leadership move on the issue and may give other corporations the idea to commence similar efforts.