From WDW News Today...

First Look Around Art of Animation Lobby with Imagineers

Mar 22, 2012 by wdwntadmin

Picture-10.png

This seems to be a big news day for Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, with it opening in about 2 months from now. We happened to come across a rather poorly edited video from Disney that we haven’t seen anywhere else yet, giving us our first look around the main building of the hotel. This video features Gary Hoffmann, Walt Disney Imagineering senior project manager, and Kevin Myers, speaking in the nearly finished lobby, Animation Hall:

Disney Releases Pictures from Inside Art of Animation Resort

Mar 22, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.pngNo Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: Resorts

IMG_5745-800x533.jpg

The marquee outside of the resort

Playground-800x533.jpg

The playground for the Finding Nemo wing features Squirt and the Righteous Reef

Sketches-800x533.jpg

Concept art adorns the walls of the lobby, Animation Hall

From Inside the Magic...

Walt Disney World reinvents hotel check-in with small personal desks for Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

by Ricky BrigantePosted on March 30, 2012

art-of-animation.jpg

Walt Disney World is just over two months away from opening the first phase of its new Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, a “value” level resort like no other. Despite its lower room prices, inventive thinking, detailed design, and new technologies are being integrated into the new hotel, welcoming guests for a more enjoyable stay.

Aside from the much-touted, highly-themed design elements centered around Disney and Pixar animated films, guests first arriving to Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will notice something distinctly different about the check-in process: no desk.

Rather than approaching one long check-in desk staffed by a row of Disney’s Cast Members, individual tables with chairs will offer a more comfortable and personal check-in process, greeted individually and casually by Cast Members. Recently, an Orlando Business Journal photographer toured areas of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, offering a first look at this unique check-in area, pictured below.

Animation3-401x600.gif

The rest of the lobby (and hotel) is designed around animation and artwork imagery, from artwork on the walls to oversized paint canisters acting as shelving units in a store. The “Art of Animation” flows through the entirety of the new hotel.

Animation4.gif

Animation5.gif

Animation6.gif

(More photos and information can be found in the original Orlando Business Journal article and slideshow.)

Beyond check-in and design, rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be the first at Walt Disney World to feature RFID scanners to allow access simply by placing an RFID chip-equipped room key up to the lock. Disney Cruise Line has been using the same style of entry for its staterooms and now the technology is transitioning to Disney’s theme park hotels.

Disney’s Art of Animation will open its “Finding Nemo” wing on May 31, 2012, followed by the remaining three wings every few weeks leading up to its completion on September 15.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/03/walt-disney-world-reinvents-hotel-check-in-with-small-personal-desks-for-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

I'm not real sure how that's gonna work (the check in). That is still A LOT of rooms, and I've NEVER just walked up to a check in station at any of the Values. I'm guessing there will still be a queue, and when one finishes with a guest, they get up and go get the next family in line??

Also, I'm guessing that the best of the Value Resort and Moderate Resort Guest Services folks will get first bids on working at Art of Animation, which means the poor schmucks staying at All-Stars will have lots of CMs "Earning Their Ears" at the checkin desks :(

Also, I'm guessing that the best of the Value Resort and Moderate Resort Guest Services folks will get first bids on working at Art of Animation, which means the poor schmucks staying at All-Stars will have lots of CMs "Earning Their Ears" at the checkin desks :(

I have found that being the best has very little to do with where you end up at WDW.

It's mostly comes down to being at the right place at the right time.

OK, got a question. I was looking on another thread and looking at Bing satellite images. It showed Art of Animation before they started (re)construction. There was only the main building and the two standard room buildings up. There were three foundations over there. Was the third building of standard rooms built, or was it landscaped over, or was it built into suites? Anybody know?

OK, got a question. I was looking on another thread and looking at Bing satellite images. It showed Art of Animation before they started (re)construction. There was only the main building and the two standard room buildings up. There were three foundations over there. Was the third building of standard rooms built, or was it landscaped over, or was it built into suites? Anybody know?

Never mind, found the answer. They had to have built the third building, cause I found a post that said 864 standard rooms, and each building has 288 rooms. Also found a resort map that shows 3 buildings.

Did anyone else read this "Despite its lower room prices, inventive thinking, detailed design, and new technologies are being integrated into the new hotel, welcoming guests for a more enjoyable stay." and then scratch their heads? It is a value resort with pricing to rival deluxe resorts. How is it lower room prices? Their suites are more expensive the the All Star suites. So who are they comparing the pricing to then?

From WDW Magic...

Aerial views of Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Apr 05, 2012

Today we have our first birds-eye view of Walt Disney World's newest resort - 'Disney's Art of Animation'. The nearly 2000 room hotel opens at the end of May 2012.

A huge thank you as always to Scott Keating for providing us with the aerial views, and be sure to click on the thumbnails to view the large versions.

Share|

Copyright 2012 by Scott Keating

Disneys-Art-of-Animation-Resort_Thumb_15593.jpg?Expires=1333678803&Signature=dmDYiL4cMvKwo64FVThw-W2UPVApaprDKLlfEyc-bRJCH5mV3jsFmtGaACkUZAZGb2441aKtvZVAGjOAppY2m579aLnvJ1gVzpRdMbkZG17foMHfPLgSmO%7E7C6gt6uQMrEvQpLErLqkScurCLYz%7EgxTNaTw9Ivy1Nr43HVo1yUk_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

More photos here...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Disneys-Art-of-Animation-Resort/News/05Apr2012-PHOTOS---Aerial-views-of-Disney%27s-Art-of-Animation-Resort.htm

Did anyone else read this "Despite its lower room prices, inventive thinking, detailed design, and new technologies are being integrated into the new hotel, welcoming guests for a more enjoyable stay." and then scratch their heads? It is a value resort with pricing to rival deluxe resorts. How is it lower room prices? Their suites are more expensive the the All Star suites. So who are they comparing the pricing to then?

I agree, I'm most definitely scratching my head

From WDW News Today...

An Aerial View of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Construction – April 2012

Apr 12, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.png2 Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: Resorts

Courtesy of Scott Keating and scottkeating.net, we once again have some fantastic aerial photos of the construction of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort:

i-kLGxSFG-800x531.jpg

Animation Hall nears completion… looks like the paint stroke is the last thing that needs to be done

i-Z2q5fcH-800x531.jpg

The Finding Nemo wings look ready to go

i-K9VB2kj-800x531.jpg

More photos and info...

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9164

For comparison - Sept 23 - 27

All-Star Resorts - Standard Room

$87 per night

Pop Century - Standard Room

$92 per night

Art of Animation - Standard Room

$97 per night

All-Star Music - Family Suite

$199 per night

Art of Animation - Family Suite

$249 per night

What shocks me is the rise of prices for Pop Century. They used to be the same price as All-Stars. (and actually a tiny bit less due to a lower tax rate). With the much higher concentration of rooms in Pop Century, and the same "size" services, front desk, bus stops, food court, etc, they have reached maximum saturation as to the number of people, and we can't stand the place.

We'll eventually try the standard rooms at Art of Animation, but it will have to be a significantly better experience to justify the higher cost over All-Star Music. (Our preferred Value)

Oh, and another data point

Cabins at Fort Wilderness

$285 per night

and you can probably get a cabin at a AAA discount, Florida Resident or Passholder discount for those dates making them LESS than Art of Animation (cause I'm guessing there won't be many discounts on Art of Animation for the time being)

We'll eventually try the standard rooms at Art of Animation, but it will have to be a significantly better experience to justify the higher cost over All-Star Music. (Our preferred Value)

It's only $10 more so I don't know if the experience can be significantly better for that difference in price.

If you don't like Pop because of the number of people, I don't think you'll like AoA for the same reason.

It's only $10 more so I don't know if the experience can be significantly better for that difference in price.

If you don't like Pop because of the number of people, I don't think you'll like AoA for the same reason.

Art of Animation will have 1120 family suites and 864 rooms, with a maximum people capacity of 10,176 (with the possibility of some infants under three in addition)

Whereas Pop Century, in the same amount of space, and the same amount of services, has 2880 rooms with a maximum capacity of 11,520 (with the possibility of some infants under three in addition)

That's an additional 1344 folks to service in the same amount of facilities.

All-Star Music and Sports have a maximum capacity of 7920 each. (with the possibility of some infants under three in addition)

All Star Music has 1604 standard rooms and 214 family suites with a maximum people capacity of 7700 (with the possibility of some infants under three in addition).

They have essentially the same capacity for services that Pop Century, and Art of Animation do with fewer people and a lower price.

Art of Animation has lower capacity than Pop Century, but still has a higher capacity than the All-Stars. Like I said, even with only a $10 price increase over All-Stars, they will have to prove to me that they can provide a higher level of service and deal with that higher capacity in a good way.

Pop Century definitely did not show me they could deal with the higher capacity. I'm hoping Art of Animation can, because newer facilities, and newer design ideas are usually better, but the total experience is the deciding factor for me.

• 2 weeks later...

From WDW Magic...

VIDEO - Tour around a completed family suite at Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Apr 26, 2012

Take a video walk-through of a completed family suite at the soon-to-open "Disney's Art of Animation Resort". The video takes you inside a suite in the Finding Nemo, Lion King and Cars sections of the resort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz44fSE3oY0

Next up is a tour around the completed exterior of the Finding Nemo buildings and pool, and a brief look at the Cars area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp1vTwi44b4

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Disneys-Art-of-Animation-Resort/News/26Apr2012-VIDEO---Tour-around-a-completed-family-suite-at-Disney%27s-Art-of-Animation-Resort.htm

From the Disney Parks blog...

Time-Lapse Video: Will You ‘Find Nemo’ At Disney’s Art of Animation Resort?

posted on April 26th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

We’re nearly one month away from the opening of Phase I of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, which will include the “Finding Nemo” wing, Landscape of Flavors food court, Ink & Paint Shop merchandise location and other common guest areas.

The “Finding Nemo” wing will feature large character installations of Crush, Marlin, Nemo, and Mr. Ray, among others, as well as the largest pool ever built at a Disney resort.

Here’s an exclusive time-lapse video from our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering that shows all the progress that has been made so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvwTFhclmNw

The resort’s remaining wings will open later this year, with “Cars” opening June 18, “The Lion King” on Aug. 10 and “The Little Mermaid” on Sept. 15.

Now, who is ready to book?

For more updates regarding Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, see the posts below: