Adult Disabilities and Camping

Most of the threads have been about kid disabilities, just thought I would share my thoughts on some of the stuff my DH deals with when camping.

The Fort is just about the most accessible place I've ever been as far as the lay of the land.  Sidewalks everywhere, everything very flat and plenty of asphalt in all the right places.

Our disability problems mainly have to do with mobility issues.  We solve most of those with the ECV and we do things like I pull DHs socks off before he heads to the shower and we have finally found some hard soled slippers that he can get on and off easily.

We had to look long and hard to find a camping chair that would support his weight and still fold up small.

The only issue the Fort doesn't address is a companion shower area.  I really wish they would add one.  I can imagine there are many spouses that don't like using their RV shower (or don't have one in our case), but need to assist each other, and can't do that at the Fort.

Most of the threads have been about kid disabilities, just thought I would share my thoughts on some of the stuff my DH deals with when camping.

The Fort is just about the most accessible place I've ever been as far as the lay of the land.  Sidewalks everywhere, everything very flat and plenty of asphalt in all the right places.

Our disability problems mainly have to do with mobility issues.  We solve most of those with the ECV and we do things like I pull DHs socks off before he heads to the shower and we have finally found some hard soled slippers that he can get on and off easily.

We had to look long and hard to find a camping chair that would support his weight and still fold up small.

The only issue the Fort doesn't address is a companion shower area.  I really wish they would add one.  I can imagine there are many spouses that don't like using their RV shower (or don't have one in our case), but need to assist each other, and can't do that at the Fort.

That's what I loved about our cabin - the shower was wheelchair accessible. Nikki (daughter) doesn't use a wheelchair but does need assistance with bathing. I told Disney reservations she didn't use a wheelchair but I guess this is the only type of shower in the accessible cabins?? It was a BIG help to us having a shower BOTH of us could get in and out of easily. Perhaps you could write to Disney and suggest it? Sounds like something that would be a great benefit to those who need it.

We have recently re-acquired a Jazzy power chair which we are rehabbing (batteries and maybe the charger) and hope to interest our Shawnee in driving.  It sure would be easier to only push two wheelchairs.  I post this here because Shawnee is adult size.  Heck, I may use it myself... ;)

• 9 years later...
On 2/9/2011 at 7:10 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I realize this is an old post, but thank you for posting about adults with disAbilities. I am a young adult with different abilities. Thank you.