Planned golf cart parking by dog park

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to speak with the park manager and a Disney executive who were out by the dog park gesturing and talking and pointing around. I heard the word "spaces" used and asked "oh, are you planning more golf cart parking?"

The park manager said "Yes, it's what we are trying to get funding to do, is that something you are interested in?"

I said of course and gave a couple reasons why, like not parking illegally and staying off the busy roadways with pets. I noted that I thought the dog park was one of the best additions to the fort in years, and expressed our appreciation for the improvement.

I left them then, and they got in their car to leave.... They drove up to the nearest bus stop by the 500 loop, sat there a couple minutes, talking. We left the dog park then, crossed over the street and they turned around and drove to where we were walking on the sidewalk, stopped and asked " so, what do you think about that idea? Cart parking between the volleyball court an the street?"

I said, "if you can do that, you will keep your guests from having to cross a very busy main road twice, plus a loop user section with a bus stop. You are reducing our exposure to traffic, and allowing older guests with sites far away to use it. Plus, the children in the playground are kept separate from the dogs that come along the fence,ine to get to the park. It is a much needed addition, and will be greatly appreciated."

"we will try to get funding" is what they said as they drove off.

I agree.... if you actually follow the rules, as well as the posted "no pets past this point" signs, you've got to do quite some maneuvers to get a critter to the park.... and old dogs or short-legged ones have it rough. <snort> "rough" = ruff, get it? OK, sorry. Cracking myself up over here while attacking Mt. Washmore from the Fort.

They were discussing things like grading already in place, what would be needed to protect the volleyball court, spacing, etc... maybe 4-5 spaces more.

Is there a rule against dogs driving the carts?

Technically, no, there isn't.

But, there is a rule that all drivers must be 16 or older and have a driver's license.

16 is kind of old for a dog.

Maybe it could be in dog years?

So, a lot of dogs would meet that requirement.

But, then there's the driver's license requirement.

Maybe it's easy for dogs to get their licenses in some states, but they pretty much frown on dogs driving in Florida.

TCD

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to speak with the park manager and a Disney executive who were out by the dog

Did you read the names on their name tags?

If you did, I'll be able to find out who they are, yes I have that power, and if they have any clout or if they're just two of your run of the mill idiot WDW manager flunkies.

"we will try to get funding" is what they said as they drove off.

"TRY", that phrase doesn't exude authority.

Technically, no, there isn't.

But, there is a rule that all drivers must be 16 or older and have a driver's license.

16 is kind of old for a dog.

Maybe it could be in dog years?

So, a lot of dogs would meet that requirement.

But, then there's the driver's license requirement.

Maybe it's easy for dogs to get their licenses in some states, but they pretty much frown on dogs driving in Florida.

TCD

When Rudy stoled my truck Rudy drove and Shelby manipulated the peddles

Rudy is 45 in Dog years

Wow! You stumbled upon an interesting conversation. Thanks for sharing!

While you had their ear, did you happen to also request they reopen River country, built us a quick service restaurant and extend the monorail to the Settlement Depot? :rofl3:

I thought it was pretty interesting. And dangit, I completely forgot to mention those issues...... Sorry.

Thanks for sharing this information.

Putting some golf cart parking at the dog park is a good idea.

And, there is space there to do it, so why not?

I wish they would do something to address the situation at the combination cart path/sidwalk leading to the Settlement first.

TCD

I agree, and perhaps they are. I only know what I heard and specifically discussed....... But you are certainly right about that place, they gotta separate the people from the carts. It's dangerous. Plus, a large number of the folks we encountered in the loop this past week seemed to have difficulty communicating and don't understand who has the right-of-way, or perhaps don't care. I've never seen so many carts and vehicles driving the wrong way on a loop, never ever seen so many tents or people on one site, or so many belligerent children. I was dumbstruck a couple times. But, that has nothing to do with this thread, sorry.

Did you read the names on their name tags?

If you did, I'll be able to find out who they are, yes I have that power, and if they have any clout or if they're just two of your run of the mill idiot WDW manager flunkies.

"TRY", that phrase doesn't exude authority.

Rats, sorry, did not get names. I had on sunglasses instead of glasses....... And if I were discussing things like this with a guest, I would likely be a bit noncommittal as well. But that's just me.

That sounds like a great idea. I'm sick of everyone parking in my backyard!

(When I'm in site 550 :)) )

I would be one of the guilty ones that has parked there and been fussed at by the Disney popo. Speaking of which.... Holy COW @ all the popo in the campground! I have never seen so many before, they seemed to be in the loop about every 4 - 6 hours!

It would be great if they did this. We usually park in the grassy bit next to the sidewalk across the street, as it's better than walking through the playground area (which is a no-no anyway) or along the side of the road. Surprisingly no one has ever said anything to us, and plenty of CMs have driven by and waved. Even still, crossing the street there is a bit dodgy - especially with 2 border collies who know where they're going... and apparently have jetpacks propelling them forward!

It would be great if they did this. We usually park in the grassy bit next to the sidewalk across the street, as it's better than walking through the playground area (which is a no-no anyway) or along the side of the road. Surprisingly no one has ever said anything to us, and plenty of CMs have driven by and waved. Even still, crossing the street there is a bit dodgy - especially with 2 border collies who know where they're going... and apparently have jetpacks propelling them forward!

We park in the same place . . . and we've never had any feedback.

Monique . . . will you be at Grass Creek Park in August? We're just a few miles away and we go for a day every year!

They need to monitor more closely the age of the Golf Cart Drivers. My granddaughters always want to drive ours but we have to tell them NO. They know how to drive them because our son has one but we can not let them drive at the Fort. Once I let one of them drive me to the Settlement as my arm was in a sling and one of the CM told me not to let her do it even though I was injured. So I managed to drive with one arm. But no one else even seemed to care if she was driving. So, even if someone can't drive, no one under driving age will be driving ours.

Sometimes we have had to move our children out of the way of a golf cart with a child driving.....not easy to get wheel chairs out of the way when you don't know which way the cart wants to do.