Although puttering around inside the Fort on a bicycle is probably pretty fun, are there any serious cyclists here that have done some riding outside the Fort? The wife and I would like to be able to do a little cycling while we're there, but are worried about routes and traffic near WDW. Any insight would be welcome

I don't even like driving on the roads around WDW. I leave that up to the professionals.

I don't even like driving on the roads around WDW. I leave that up to the professionals.

I agree 100%. Even the professionals worry me. Some of those bus drivers are dangerous (albeit cute) ;)

My uncle is a big bicyclist. He went outside the campground and the sherrif stopped him and told him he couldn't ride outside the resort. It is very dangerous, even he admitted he was worried once he was out there.

My uncle is a big bicyclist. He went outside the campground and the sherrif stopped him and told him he couldn't ride outside the resort.

The "Florida Bicycle Law" clearly says that bicyclists are considered drivers of vehicles and therefore have the same rights to the road as motorists.

The roads outside the resorts are public roads and regulations that apply to other public roads apply to those.

Whoever it was that stopped your uncle, probably strongly encouraged him not to cycle as it is dangerous, and he's right, it is.

I've heard many reports of runners or cyclists on WDW roads that are picked up by security or Orange County if they are away from the "approved" pedestrian areas.

Can't say that I have heard that people were picked up against their will, but if the police/security is in the mood, they will stop and inform you that it might not be a good idea and offer you a lift.

If it's one of the state, county, or RCID roads and there are no signs restricting it's use, Florida law entitles cyclists to use them.

I see them all the time.

Have you seen the way people drive on vacation?

I have noticed bad driving from time to time, but it's not that bad. Besides, it's usually a Canadian.

I get much more annoyed with slow WDW buses.

If they can't drive the speed limit they shouldn't be driving a bus.

I guess that's what I actually meant.

I knew that.

I only thank the bus driver if they serve me a frosty cold beer topless.

That is one very disturbing mental picture.

You must have seen enough drivers to know that?

I'm glad you only have Mondays off.

Ah well. I was pretty sure the roads around WDW were going to be pretty bad, I was just hoping I was wrong. I've got a bike riding app that has a couple of rides mapped out nearby on some "country" roads, but you have to drive a bit to get there. I'm not interested in leaving the Fort once I'm there unless I have too, so I guess the wife and I will have to find some other aerobic activity

Ah well. I was pretty sure the roads around WDW were going to be pretty bad, I was just hoping I was wrong. I've got a bike riding app that has a couple of rides mapped out nearby on some "country" roads, but you have to drive a bit to get there. I'm not interested in leaving the Fort once I'm there unless I have too, so I guess the wife and I will have to find some other aerobic activity

What's wrong with biking in the fort? Lots of opportunities!

Are we talking about the same fort?

The Fort is, essentially, one big loop with several smaller loops. I was worried about the ability of the wife and I to bike at our normal road speed, somewhere between 15-20mph. I think that the only place to be able to do that (realistically), is on the main loop, which is, at its essence, a 2-3 mile circle.

I agree that if we're out for a leisurely ride through the Fort, our opportunities are pretty varied.

The Fort is, essentially, one big loop with several smaller loops. I was worried about the ability of the wife and I to bike at our normal road speed, somewhere between 15-20mph. I think that the only place to be able to do that (realistically), is on the main loop, which is, at its essence, a 2-3 mile circle.

I agree that if we're out for a leisurely ride through the Fort, our opportunities are pretty varied.

There is also the path that goes to the Wilderness Lodge, that will add another 2 miles there and back.

The real question is this. Is there any place where you can safely unicycle in the fort?

The real question is this. Is there any place where you can safely unicycle in the fort?

From what I understand, everywhere if you meet two conditions:

a.) You must have a spider monkey dressed in a jockey uniform riding on your back

b.) You must be naked

I've been told crowds and vehicles will move out of your way, like the Red Sea parting for Moses