Good overnight places between FL and NY

Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for good overnight stops between St. Augustine, FL and upstate New York. Will be going up 95, then over to 81 through PA. Any and all suggestions welcomed since the timing of stops isn't certain yet. Prefer secure places that would also be convenient to gas and food.

Also, if you have any suggestions for alternative routes that might be more RV friendly that would be great. 95 can be scary and 81 always seems to have some kind of construction going on that brings traffic to a standstill in the middle of nowhere! We do have the benefit of being able to take our time.

Thank you so much for any expertise you can offer!

We travel from NH to FL and usually just stop for a quick nap coming/going.

We've stopped at a few Walmarts in VA/NC right off 95 that were well lit, relatively quiet, and easy to get to.

We've started calling ahead to check though, after running into a few that used to be fine for overnight parking no longer allow it.

We've also used Flying J truck stops. Some of the ones we've stopped at had a separate RV parking area which was much quieter than parking with the trucks.

Good info, thank you! I will keep these on the list for the trips when time is short. We generally take our time (have kids, gotta stop for more than a nap) and this info is also for my mom who travels alone.

I should have been more specific - looking for campgrounds with hookups convenient to our route.

I can help with some from North Carolina to Florida...we have been to all these places with a 40' motorhome towing a small car. I’ve included a short description for each. They are all maneuverable staying hooked up with the dinghy. I would feel safe in any of them. Some are older than others but are clean and acceptable for overnight. We also travel in small 4 hour jumps when our grandson is with us so we can take our time leaving in the morning and get off the road early enough so that he has time to play and run out some energy. We use Passport America when possible and find some of these places are good and some not so good. Hope this helps!

RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads, Roanoke Rapids, NC - close to I95, clean, level gravel sites, mostly pull thrus, small trees to no problem with satellite, pool, climbing structure (pirate ship) for kids, clean, small dog run area, $25 overnight rate (in after 6pm and out by 9am), Passport America ($21, Monday to Thurs), Good Same discount, 30/50 amp, full hookup with sewer and cable, free WIFI

RVacation RV Park, Selma, NC - right next to I95 so you get some road noise and train whistles, mostly pull thrus, level gravel sites, pond for catch and release, ducks you can hand feed, no pool, children’s area is couple swings and a whirly-gig “thingy”, 30 amp and 50 amp sites, full hook up with sewer, no cable, free WIFI, $30-40 Good Sam discount

Sleepy Bear’s RV Park, Lumberton, NC – Next to I95, road noise, older but clean, paved pull thrus, 30 and 50 amp hookups with sewer, small pool and play area and mini-golf, $33-35 AAA, Good Sam discount

Bass Lake Campground, Dillon, SC – Next to I95, road noise, friendly staff, catch and release fishing lake, small playground, 30 and 50 amp sites, grass/gravel, slow WIFI, clean bath/laundry rooms, $32, $16 Passport America (cash only).

South of the Border, Dillon, SC – ½ Mile off I95, not much noise, older paved sites, 30 and 50 amp hookups with sewer, beware - electric connection fell below 106 volts with only about 10 campers, bathrooms old but mostly clean, rusted out playground, for pool you must walk/drive to hotel, decent restaurants and small amusement and souvenir shops to explore across street. $25, AARP discount

Comfort Inn RV Park, St George, SC - Right behind the Comfort Inn next to I95, traffic noise, train noise, 30 amp and 50 amp sites, some with sewer, back ins so you must unhook, strictly bare bones overnight, Passport American $16, WIFI at the hotel lobby

Jolly Acres RV Park, St George, SC - about 3 miles off I95, gravel sites, sites are kind of scattered around, 30/50 amp hook up with sewer, pull thrus, extremely slow WIFI, no cable, spotty cell phone service, some train noise, small pond to feed ducks, nothing for children, very nice owners, $32, $16 Passport America, 10% AAA/Senior discount

New Green Acres RV Park, Walterboro, SC - next to I95, traffic noise, all pull thrus, dirt/grass/gravel sites, lots of trees so no satellite, cable but not very clear, slow WIFI connection. Small off leash dog agility area. Pool, swings, slide – older but clean and usable. $32, Good Sam, AAA discount

Savannah Oaks RV Park, Savannah, GA – about 2 mile off I95, older campground with lots of trees so no satellite, terrible cable, WIFI did not work, pull thru sites, 30/50 amp with sewer, gravel/dirt sites, clean pool, small enclosed kids play area, dirty bathrooms, about 15 min to downtown Savannah, $35-45, Good Sam discount. This is one place we would only use as a last resort.

Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA – about 2 miles off I95, only a couple years old so only has small trees, paved roads, cement pull thru sites, 30/50 amp, cable good, WIFI good, catch & release fishing in lake, clean pool and restroom facilities, $40, Good Sam discount

Golden Isles Vacation Park, Brunswick, GA – next to I95 with some traffic noise, older park but clean, grass/gravel sites, 30/50 amp with sewer, good satellite reception, small pool and playground area, $32/night, Good Sam Discount, $16 Passport America

Walkabout RV Park, Woodbine, GA (was St George RV Park) – About 2 miles off I95, gravel/grass sites, 30 and 50 amp, clean pool, bath and laundry, trail to boardwalk out to Crooked River, no playground, nice owners, $30-33, $17 Passport America

Crooked River State Park, Woodbine, GA – Paved roads, grass/gravel sites, 50 and 30 amp, no sewer but has dump station, pool has been closed due to economic issues, some hiking trails, birds and animals, many trees (satellite questionable), cable with a couple snowy stations, older bathrooms, $28/night, senior discount, $5 entry fee.

Kiki RV Park, Kingsland, GA – About ½ mile off I95 behind Raceway Gas Station and next to Econo Lodge on busy street. Road noise and noise from gas station. (Owned by Econo Lodge owners which is where you register). About 20 sites, ½ are pull thrus, all paved (no grass) like a parking lot, no trees. 30/50 amp with sewer hookups, WIFI from motel was good, Small pool at Econo Lodge. No bathroom, shower or laundry – must be self-contained. Lots of restaurants, stores in area, $50/night (too expensive), $25 Passport America. This would not be a first choice RV park.

Flamingo Lake RV Park, Jacksonville, FL – Large park, many permanents (all clean), paved roads and sites, 30/50 amp with sewer, pull thrus and back in, spring fed lake with catch & release fishing, small pool and playground, swimming in lake, on-site café and bar with decent food. $40-55, Good Sam discount

I should add that these are my personal observations - yours may differ.

We travel with two small dogs and all listed accept pets (some have breed restrictions).

If I remarked that WIFI or cable was bad it may have been fixed by now.

Your level of noise tolerance may be different than mine so what I find noisy may not bother you.

And, prices change so be sure to check.

Karla, WOW is all I can say! Thank you so much! This is fantastic. I too will print it for my files and email a copy to Mom.

I use the wecamphere site also. Just thought I'd get first hand recommendations from those of you who come down to FL regularly. You know how the CG websites can differ drastically from what you actually see when you pull in!

Thanks again to all of you! I just love this wonderful resource!