• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own guns and I enjoy shooting, always have. Every job I ever had involved carrying guns. I am Pro Gun. :) Paid for by the committee to elect H.

Something was mentioned about a range. Is it in the Orlando area and can anyone attend or is it a memebers only thing. While I am not political about my gun ownership, I do believe in being prepared

Love the shooting sports!! Just wish that ammo prices would come back down to earth... I have resorted to shooting mostly .22lr with my son. We both built custom 10/22's this past year. Tack driver

• 2 years later...

We both have our CC permits. Gun safe is beyond full and my latest aquisition is a Henry Golden Boy in 17HMR. Won it in a raffle! We go to the ranges regularly. On the range, my favorite is my Remington 1911R1 and hers is the S&W 44 mag (Dirty Harry). We have an outdoor (150yd) and indoor range (50yrd) within 20 minutes of home that we are members of.

For all you gun enthusiast, they are 3/4 done building this monstrosity in Tarpon Springs, Florida which is about an hour and a half drive from the fort. It is supposed to be the largest and most technologically advanced gun range in the southeast. I'm not a gun guy so I could care less and am actually bummed it's not a cool store I would enjoy

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/massive-indoor-gun-range-planned-for-tarpon-springs-site/2167991

• 1 year later...

My "dream" gun is the Henry Lever Action in 44 Rimfire.  Would love to have one produced between 1864-1865.  We've had a few come through the Auction where I work and they sold between $27,000 and $55,000.  After that, would love to have a Winchester Model 1866.

11 hours ago, bhall said:

My "dream" gun is the Henry Lever Action in 44 Rimfire.  Would love to have one produced between 1864-1865.  We've had a few come through the Auction where I work and they sold between $27,000 and $55,000.  After that, would love to have a Winchester Model 1866.

I have an extensive Henry collection but that riffle has always been out of reach.  I have the Winchester 1892 & 1873 but have yet to secure a 1866.  Its on my wish list.

My one big wish list gun is a true Sharps Falling Block.  I have a Uberti Sharps 1874 but I'd like to own the real thing

We had Berdan Sharps Rifle last year that saw Civil War usage, possibley even here at Gettysburg and I can't recall what it sold for.  I'm fortunate to be able to see a lot of old historical firearms here.  I've even had my hands on a LeMat, but not the one Jeb Stuart used.

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Travisma said:

Have you gone to a range and fired that particular handgun?

That will be the deciding factor, if it feels good to you and you can handle it comfortably.

It feels good in my hand, and I think I can handle it okay.  Supposedly this gun has much less recoil than many others.  Tried several semi-automatics, but I don't have enough strength to slide them.  This afternoon I found online a range about 25 miles from us that actually rents the gun.  My next step is to go there and try it out.  

41 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I am considering purchasing a Ruger 38 special and getting a concealed carry permit.  I have some experience with rifles and shotguns but not handguns. 

Comments?  Suggestions?

Do as Travisma stated and go to a range that rents firearms and try several.

My recommendation is a Glock 19. It is easy to load, shoot, and hit your target, even under a ton of stress. My wife started out with the 38 special revolver. After just 50 rounds she went back to the store and bought a Glock 19. She carries her Glock often. 

Next thing after deciding which one you like, GET SOME TRAINING! Take a women's self defense shooting class. One of the best things my wife ever attended.

27 minutes ago, Specularius said:

Do as Travisma stated and go to a range that rents firearms and try several.

My recommendation is a Glock 19. It is easy to load, shoot, and hit your target, even under a ton of stress. My wife started out with the 38 special revolver. After just 50 rounds she went back to the store and bought a Glock 19. She carries her Glock often. 

Next thing after deciding which one you like, GET SOME TRAINING! Take a women's self defense shooting class. One of the best things my wife ever attended.

26 minutes ago, Specularius said:

If you have trouble with the slide on a Glock, it is because of bad technique. 

Thanks for the info.  My only concern with the Glock is that it weighs almost twice as much as the Ruger.  But I will try their slide.  I don't have a lot of left hand strength.  And I also found one gun today that I'm not strong enough to even pull the trigger!

I will also echo the above great advice: Whichever one you settle on, make sure you get very familiar with it. Practice practice practice. Chances are that if and when you need it, it will be under very stressful and awful conditions. It could be dark, raining, cold, people screaming, loud noises, etc etc.  You want to be comfortable getting to it, using it and reloading it under all conditions.  The more you practice, the more comfortable and safer you will be.

I have been blessed to have had some of the best training available, and even after years of drills I will still occasionally fumble when doing a new room to room drill and have something unexpected happen....  That's when the drill instructors start yelling:  "recover, recover recover"    LOL

The old saying is true: You will react the same way you are trained.   

7 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I am considering purchasing a Ruger 38 special and getting a concealed carry permit.  I have some experience with rifles and shotguns but not handguns. 

Comments?  Suggestions?

I'm assuming you are looking at a Ruger LCR. 

Here's a link to my friends shop for price comparisons for you. 

http://www.gunstores.net/items/GunSearchResults.aspx?d=L4LZ1Cd5qME=&u=&g=&z=hw5JxXVcO9E=&manuf=Ruger&category=1&guntype=Revolver: Double Action&model=LCR&caliber=38SP&price=0&instock=0

We have quite a few LCRs come through the auction here as well.  In fact, we have one that is going to be auctioned off on Sunday, December 11th.  It's lot 23.

"23.  Ruger – Mod. LCR – 38 Spl. +P Cal. Double Action Hammerless Revolver – (w/1 ¾” Barrel) – Matte Blue Finish w/Matte Stainless Cylinder –w/Trijicon Front Night Sight – Two Tone Finish (As New w/Box)

http://reddingauction.com/2016-12/12112016.pdf

Here is the gallery link for the pictures.  Just scroll down a bit until you get to #23.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMkffGcJuJI40lL6CooTVDiz9erXZkWSRhO-c8oVrASnMx9H9ikOXho00b9a76OpA?key=UVpFRTFmT01FY2FSNzlzN1lpZmZ3VkhXNW1TSmZB

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input.  I've been to several gun shops and received all kinds of advice.  Yesterday we went to the largest gun store in the US, where I checked out many different brands including revolvers and semi-automatics.  I found the perfect gun for me.  A Smith & Wesson 38 special that's had some modifications (including trigger pull) to make it easier for women to shoot.

So I put it on 90 day layaway, intending to get my purchase permit by next week when I would go back and pick it up.

Shock, shock, shock.  I came home and went to my county sheriff's department website to start the permit process.  At other counties around us, you can just go to the sheriff and request a permit and receive it in a few days.  In the largest NC county (Mecklenburg), you can fill out an application online, appear before the sheriff within five days, and receive the permit in another 14 days.

But here?  You have to get an appointment to apply for a permit.  The next available appointment?  March 16, 2017!  They are only seeing 24 applicants per week.  Then a couple of weeks' wait to find out if I am approved.  Then a month or so at the range and completing my concealed carry course.  Then another three months' wait for another appointment. Then 60-90 days to find out whether I'm approved for CC.

I feel like my county is discriminating against gun owners/enthusiasts.  And I'm being discriminated against for wanting to assert my second amendment rights.  

Any thoughts/suggestions?

4 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thank you all for your input.  I've been to several gun shops and received all kinds of advice.  Yesterday we went to the largest gun store in the US, where I checked out many different brands including revolvers and semi-automatics.  I found the perfect gun for me.  A Smith & Wesson 38 special that's had some modifications (including trigger pull) to make it easier for women to shoot.

So I put it on 90 day layaway, intending to get my purchase permit by next week when I would go back and pick it up.

Shock, shock, shock.  I came home and went to my county sheriff's department website to start the permit process.  At other counties around us, you can just go to the sheriff and request a permit and receive it in a few days.  In the largest NC county (Mecklenburg), you can fill out an application online, appear before the sheriff within five days, and receive the permit in another 14 days.

But here?  You have to get an appointment to apply for a permit.  The next available appointment?  March 16, 2017!  They are only seeing 24 applicants per week.  Then a couple of weeks' wait to find out if I am approved.  Then a month or so at the range and completing my concealed carry course.  Then another three months' wait for another appointment. Then 60-90 days to find out whether I'm approved for CC.

I feel like my county is discriminating against gun owners/enthusiasts.  And I'm being discriminated against for wanting to assert my second amendment rights.  

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Come to GA and buy a gun. I believe they just run a background check and it's yours. 

I have a 38 special, myself. 

You don't have to have a concealed carry permit to have it in your house or car. I've never gotten around to getting one. Jason has one, so I figure that's fine. 

8 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Come to GA and buy a gun. I believe they just run a background check and it's yours. 

I have a 38 special, myself. 

You don't have to have a concealed carry permit to have it in your house or car. I've never gotten around to getting one. Jason has one, so I figure that's fine. 

Thanks!  Since I'm not a resident of GA, I'm not sure how that would work.  And here in NC CC permits are very stringent.  I want to have my own.