• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own guns and I enjoy shooting, always have. Every job I ever had involved carrying guns. I am Pro Gun. :) Paid for by the committee to elect H.

Something was mentioned about a range. Is it in the Orlando area and can anyone attend or is it a memebers only thing. While I am not political about my gun ownership, I do believe in being prepared

Love the shooting sports!! Just wish that ammo prices would come back down to earth... I have resorted to shooting mostly .22lr with my son. We both built custom 10/22's this past year. Tack driver

Gwen,

You legally cannot buy a handgun from GA and transport it yourself to your home.  You can buy it, but it would have to be shipped to a FFL dealer in your state.  I've shipped handguns to NC FFL dealers for winning auction bidders recently.  I'm assuming all of those bidders had a permit since none have come back.

As for being discriminated against, contact your state representative and state senator and voice your concerns.  It seems like each county has it's own rules that vary throughout the state.

23 hours ago, Beckers said:

In NJ you can't have one in your car unless you are going from your house to the range/hunting . You can't stop at the store for drink, etc. 

And NJ doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with NC, so I guess we won't be traveling through NJ any time soon!

48 minutes ago, bhall said:

Gwen,

You legally cannot buy a handgun from GA and transport it yourself to your home.  You can buy it, but it would have to be shipped to a FFL dealer in your state.  I've shipped handguns to NC FFL dealers for winning auction bidders recently.  I'm assuming all of those bidders had a permit since none have come back.

As for being discriminated against, contact your state representative and state senator and voice your concerns.  It seems like each county has it's own rules that vary throughout the state.

Contacting my representative and senator is a great idea!  Thanks!  Today I've checked all the counties adjoining us and also all the major counties in NC.  Anywhere else I could have a permit within 3 weeks.  

Thank you all for your input.  I've been to several gun shops and received all kinds of advice.  Yesterday we went to the largest gun store in the US, where I checked out many different brands including revolvers and semi-automatics.  I found the perfect gun for me.  A Smith & Wesson 38 special that's had some modifications (including trigger pull) to make it easier for women to shoot.

So I put it on 90 day layaway, intending to get my purchase permit by next week when I would go back and pick it up.

Shock, shock, shock.  I came home and went to my county sheriff's department website to start the permit process.  At other counties around us, you can just go to the sheriff and request a permit and receive it in a few days.  In the largest NC county (Mecklenburg), you can fill out an application online, appear before the sheriff within five days, and receive the permit in another 14 days.

But here?  You have to get an appointment to apply for a permit.  The next available appointment?  March 16, 2017!  They are only seeing 24 applicants per week.  Then a couple of weeks' wait to find out if I am approved.  Then a month or so at the range and completing my concealed carry course.  Then another three months' wait for another appointment. Then 60-90 days to find out whether I'm approved for CC.

I feel like my county is discriminating against gun owners/enthusiasts.  And I'm being discriminated against for wanting to assert my second amendment rights.  

Any thoughts/suggestions?

If you have your concealed carry, you should be able to purchase without a purchase permit. I don't know about NC but in Florida if you take the CC classes or hunters safety class guns are usually provided if you are required to shoot. It may turn out to be faster to get your CC then purchase the gun you want and skip over your county as I assume the CC is through the state and not county. Just an idea.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

If you have your concealed carry, you should be able to purchase without a purchase permit. I don't know about NC but in Florida if you take the CC classes or hunters safety class guns are usually provided if you are required to shoot. It may turn out to be faster to get your CC then purchase the gun you want and skip over your county as I assume the CC is through the state and not county. Just an idea.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I don't have my concealed carry yet.  That takes even longer than the purchase permit.  60-90 days before approval even after completing the classes.

On 12/7/2016 at 8:12 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thank you all for your input.  I've been to several gun shops and received all kinds of advice.  Yesterday we went to the largest gun store in the US, where I checked out many different brands including revolvers and semi-automatics.  I found the perfect gun for me.  A Smith & Wesson 38 special that's had some modifications (including trigger pull) to make it easier for women to shoot.

So I put it on 90 day layaway, intending to get my purchase permit by next week when I would go back and pick it up.

Shock, shock, shock.  I came home and went to my county sheriff's department website to start the permit process.  At other counties around us, you can just go to the sheriff and request a permit and receive it in a few days.  In the largest NC county (Mecklenburg), you can fill out an application online, appear before the sheriff within five days, and receive the permit in another 14 days.

But here?  You have to get an appointment to apply for a permit.  The next available appointment?  March 16, 2017!  They are only seeing 24 applicants per week.  Then a couple of weeks' wait to find out if I am approved.  Then a month or so at the range and completing my concealed carry course.  Then another three months' wait for another appointment. Then 60-90 days to find out whether I'm approved for CC.

I feel like my county is discriminating against gun owners/enthusiasts.  And I'm being discriminated against for wanting to assert my second amendment rights.  

Any thoughts/suggestions?

That's ridiculous and you are right it is blatant discrimination, it's just another way to make life difficult for gun owners. There are numerous court cases regarding the difference between "May Issue" and "Shall Issue" and this is the Sheriffs way to try and control the process in spite of the law. My guess is that if you were a friend and/or a campaign contributor that your name would suddenly be moved way up the list when there was a "cancellation"....  Do I sound cynical? LOL That's because I have seen corruption and cronyism pop-up in so many places  :angry:

Up here in Mass it is the same problem, the permitting is controlled by the Local Town Chiefs (our Sheriffs up here are not Police and just run the Jails) and if you have the bad luck to live in a Town where the current Chief is "Anti-Gun" you have to jump through all kinds of extra hoops.  I am very lucky since being on the MSP allows me to just go through the State (that was so we could avoid local town politics and also so we wouldn't have a conflict of interest when we have to investigate a Local Chief or Officer...) but several times individuals here in Mass. have had to take their Chiefs to court to force them to issue a permit  :(

In addition to calling your State Reps I would contact the State AG's office to see if their is anything they can do.  Sheriffs are politicians and a phone call or two from the right place can do wonders, sad to say.  

Worst case, you could try and seek out a good 2nd amendment Attorney, after all can you imagine any other Constitutional Right being so restricted??  The threat of a lawsuit may make them more reasonable....

Kelly also had a good idea, find out if you can just purchase in another State. Put it unloaded in a locked container and in your locked trunk, keep it separate from any ammo and then bring it straight home (carefully LOL). She is correct that you don't need to have a permit to have a gun in your home. Then continue with the process for getting your permit.  

After all "It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission"  ;)

9 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Kelly also had a good idea, find out if you can just purchase in another State. Put it unloaded in a locked container and in your locked trunk, keep it separate from any ammo and then bring it straight home (carefully LOL). She is correct that you don't need to have a permit to have a gun in your home. Then continue with the process for getting your permit.  

After all "It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission"  ;)

Gwen,  No, no, no, no....That is not a good idea.  Do not do attempt that with a handgun, unless it was manufactured in 1898 or earlier.  That will have the BATFE contacting you and jumping down on with both feet the dealer who would let an out of state resident walk out with a "modern" handgun.  This wouldn't be a problem if you did this with a Rifle or Shotgun.  Long gun laws are less strict then handgun laws. 

I'll state it again, for my day job, I work for an auction company that holds an FFL (Federal Firearms License).  According to our sources at the BATFE, we have the 2nd highest count of transfers in the state of Pennsylvania (via the 4473 Form).  Besides being the auction company's webmaster and computer everything person, it is my responsibility to make sure our auctions are in compliance with PA and Federal firearms laws.  Since we are so close to the Mason Dixon Line, we have lots of MD residents in attendance and I will identify each gun that cannot go to Maryland per their laws.  I'm also tasked with compiling all of our absentee bids and phone bids and cross referencing their intended bids vs. the laws of the states that they reside in.  I did that earlier today in fact for our sale tomorrow.  In the past, I've  had to cancel bids on guns because they could not be possessed in the state they resided.  My favorite has been the one idiot who lives in Queens, NY and keeps on trying to buy an AK-47.  I've asked him repeatedly to stop trying to buy guns from us. 

A couple of years ago, I slipped up and didn't denote that a particular handgun was banned in Maryland.  A Maryland resident was present at the auction and won the bid.  Since it was a handgun, no paperwork needed to be done on the spot since it had to be shipped to an FFL dealer in Maryland for the paperwork/background check and our packer didn't think twice about it being ok to go to Maryland.  Usually, if we accidentally ship something that is banned in that particular state, the dealer that received it will call us and say, "Hey, you sent this to us and it's illegal here, we're shipping it back".  Well, that one time, that particular dealer (our first shipment to him as he was newly established) didn't call us or ship it back to us, so he called the buyer up and said "come in and do your paperwork on this gun" (He shouldn't have and should've known it was illegal).  The banned gun ended up going home with the buyer about a week later.  Fast forward a couple of months later, we get a visit from the BATFE Harrisburg Field Office and we found out that same day, that dealer got a visit from BATFE Hyattsville, MD Field Office.  The not so nice woman from Harrisburg informed us that whoever was responsible for that gun going down there could be fined and possible jail time if it was found that we intentionally sent it to Maryland.  Later that day, the offending dealer called us seething (he got fined) blaming us for sending it down there thus him getting in trouble and also having the displeasure of calling the buyer to set up a time for him to come back to the shop to meet up with him and a BATFE agent in order for the gun to be surrendered.  I cut him off on the blame game by replying that Yes, we overlooked it but he was the worst offender as he lives in that state, conducts business in that state and is LICENSED IN THAT STATE therefore he should have caught our mistake and sent the gun back to us as he was the last line of defense.  Then a couple of days later the buyer calls all upset wanting a refund since he couldn't keep the gun.  I apologized for the oversight but also explained to him that the denotations are merely guides and not required.  Rock Island, James Julia and other gun auction companies do not provide the same guide.  Also, in our terms which is attached to every sale bill published, it specifically states "*** cannot be held responsible to be cognizant of all the various local and state laws pertaining to firearms.  As the buyer it is your responsibility to know the laws of your jurisdiction concerning the possession of and what type of firearms accessories are allowed before you place your bid."

So, valuable lesson learned there and I'm now extremely diligent when it comes to researching what is legal and illegal as I don't want the foot of the BATFE on my throat again.   Jail time didn't scare me, it was the multi-thousand dollar fine threat that shook me.  I'm not saying I'm an expert on every state's gun laws, but out of anyone on this board, I confidently bet I can give you the highest qualified advise.

Buy the gun now, there is no reason you should not be protected!  Simply follow the NC open carry laws until you can go concealed. It is completely legal to open carry in NC including in a vehicle as long as it's visible at all times. 

Also, your moho is considered your home and you can carry it inside with no issues. 

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-n-s/north-carolina/

20 hours ago, bhall said:

Gwen,  No, no, no, no....That is not a good idea.  Do not do attempt that with a handgun, unless it was manufactured in 1898 or earlier.  That will have the BATFE contacting you and jumping down on with both feet the dealer who would let an out of state resident walk out with a "modern" handgun.  This wouldn't be a problem if you did this with a Rifle or Shotgun.  Long gun laws are less strict then handgun laws. 

Sadly, bhall is right, FFL Dealers have to take into account your home address. As a cop, I tend to see things from a street-side point of view and I don't want you to get into trouble by trying to skirt the Federal gun regs.  He is also correct that it's almost always easier to buy a long gun than a handgun.

There are States that don't require any gun permit at all, like Vermont,  but unless you want to move, that doesn't help you.  You could research the laws on private sales or transfers within your State, each State is different on whats allowed (and what's actually enforced, the maze of gun laws is a nightmare...)  If you can do that in your State, you could possibly have the private owner or relative deliver/transfer the gun to you at your house (if allowed) where, as PGHFiend pointed out, no permit is necessary.  Then continue the process to get your Carry Permit.

And, as PGHFiend also said, the open-carry option may be another way to do this within your State but again your mileage may vary as open-carry tends to draw attention these days and usually the last thing you want to do as a new gun owner is draw attention to yourself   :ph34r: :lol:

The law here in Mass. states that a permit will be issued or denied for just cause within 40 days of applying for same, and then you can appeal a denial right away.  The fact that they can make you jump thru hoops for months on end in your County is outrageous, and as I said above is just begging to be tested in court.

Steve, bhall, and PGHFiend, thank you all for your valuable advice!  My #1 concern is that I do this legally.

We visited the sheriff's office this morning and got to talk to the two officers who issue permits.  Our next step will be to contact our county commissioners.  Apparently we have 5 times the permit requests that we had just a few years ago with the same two officers handling them.  Budget increases to the sheriff's office are the only way this issue could possibly be addressed.

So meanwhile I've paid hundreds down to lay away a gun that must be picked up by March 1.  And I won't even be able to apply for the purchase permit until March 16.  Hopefully I'll receive the permit the first week of April.  I'll need to make another trip to Charlotte soon to pay the remainder and make arrangements for the dealer to keep the gun in his possession until I have the permit.  Just hope he agrees to this.

Then hopefully by the end of May I'll have the concealed carry class completed and then be able to request an appointment for my CCP (another 3.5 month wait for that appointment) and then 60-90 days to find out whether I've been approved.  So hopefully by December 2017 this will all be over.  I had no idea this process would take me over a year!

20 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Steve, bhall, and PGHFiend, thank you all for your valuable advice!  My #1 concern is that I do this legally.

We visited the sheriff's office this morning and got to talk to the two officers who issue permits.  Our next step will be to contact our county commissioners.  Apparently we have 5 times the permit requests that we had just a few years ago with the same two officers handling them.  Budget increases to the sheriff's office are the only way this issue could possibly be addressed.

So meanwhile I've paid hundreds down to lay away a gun that must be picked up by March 1.  And I won't even be able to apply for the purchase permit until March 16.  Hopefully I'll receive the permit the first week of April.  I'll need to make another trip to Charlotte soon to pay the remainder and make arrangements for the dealer to keep the gun in his possession until I have the permit.  Just hope he agrees to this.

Then hopefully by the end of May I'll have the concealed carry class completed and then be able to request an appointment for my CCP (another 3.5 month wait for that appointment) and then 60-90 days to find out whether I've been approved.  So hopefully by December 2017 this will all be over.  I had no idea this process would take me over a year!

Wow, talk about jumping thru hoops.... I dislike criticizing other Police Depts but there are several ways this so-called "crisis" could be handled besides budget increases.

If they are truly this backed up then a good admin would temporarily transfer more people in to that unit to handle the backlog.

They could also streamline the paperwork, and schedule the steps together instead of stringing them out. A background check can be done in just a few minutes. It's done in gun shops all over the country every day.  If I pull a car over I can have the drivers MV, Criminal, and Gun records in seconds on my mobile terminal or over the radio. Almost every police officer in the USA can do the same. There is no reason it should take them weeks and weeks.

And they are making you wait until March to even start applying for a "purchase permit"?  Why can't you fill out the form now? If the officers are that overworked, have a civilian look over the forms and check to make sure they are filled out properly.

And lastly, if this is such a "new" problem, why hasn't it been an issue in the other County's? Or other States?  This uptick in permit requests has been going on nationwide for the last several years (every time a politician gives another gun control speech...LOL)

So this is not anything new, and they should have already adjusted to the increase long ago.

Can you imagine if you had to wait months to register to vote? To get a drivers license?  To get a public speaking permit? To get married? To get an abortion?  There would be riots in the streets.

Despite what excuses they may have given you, it is an absolute outrage that you would have to wait months and go through this many steps to exercise one of your constitutional rights.  

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Wow, talk about jumping thru hoops.... I dislike criticizing other Police Depts but there are several ways this so-called "crisis" could be handled besides budget increases.

If they are truly this backed up then a good admin would temporarily transfer more people in to that unit to handle the backlog.

They could also streamline the paperwork, and schedule the steps together instead of stringing them out. A background check can be done in just a few minutes. It's done in gun shops all over the country every day.  If I pull a car over I can have the drivers MV, Criminal, and Gun records in seconds on my mobile terminal or over the radio. Almost every police officer in the USA can do the same. There is no reason it should take them weeks and weeks.

I totally agree.  IMHO they want this process to take a long time to discourage buyers and and are using this as a form of gun control.

And they are making you wait until March to even start applying for a "purchase permit"?  Why can't you fill out the form now? If the officers are that overworked, have a civilian look over the forms and check to make sure they are filled out properly.

Yes.  I don't have access to the purchase permit form until I appear in person in March.

And lastly, if this is such a "new" problem, why hasn't it been an issue in the other County's? Or other States?  This uptick in permit requests has been going on nationwide for the last several years (every time a politician gives another gun control speech...LOL)

So this is not anything new, and they should have already adjusted to the increase long ago.

The other counties around us have adjusted by adding more personnel to handle their requests.  In the smaller adjacent counties surrounding us, I could just walk into the sheriff's office and fill out a request.  And NC state law specifies that I must be approved or denied within 14 days of filling out the request form and having a mental health search completed.

The other large counties in NC (including Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Greensboro) allow their residents to fill out an online form and then walk into the sheriff's office within 5-7 days (depending on county), to formally sign the request.  Then the county has the same 14 days to approve or deny.

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Can you imagine if you had to wait months to register to vote? To get a drivers license?  To get a public speaking permit? To get married? To get an abortion?  There would be riots in the streets.

Despite what excuses they may have given you, it is an absolute outrage that you would have to wait months and go through this many steps to exercise one of your constitutional rights.  

I totally agree.  It is an outrage and IMHO a denial -- or at least a long delay -- of my constitutional rights.

3 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I totally agree.  IMHO they want this process to take a long time to discourage buyers and and are using this as a form of gun control.

Yes.  I don't have access to the purchase permit form until I appear in person in March....

......And NC state law specifies that I must be approved or denied within 14 days of filling out the request form

So there is the answer to why you can't have access to the form until March.

Cute. Very Cute.

This is just begging for a lawsuit. But first I would call the NC AG's office and tell them this is unacceptable and ask them what they are going to do about it.

If they give you some BS about the "Letter of the Law" I would remind them of the Spirit of the Law and tell them your Attorney is thinking Class Action.....

I would also call the Governors Office and your State Rep and Senator, especially if they had anything to do with the original 14 day limit, and ask them what they think about this and what they will do for you. Remember, they work for you not the other way around.

Last calls should be to any media outlets that might be interested in a story.

Also maybe the NRA, or other Gun organization, and see if they'll send out a letter to the Sheriff advising him or her that they are looking into their delay tactics.

This kind of thing really makes me mad.  You can bet your you-know-what that if this was some PC cause they wouldn't dare to stonewall like this.  Remember what the media did to those one or two City Clerks that didn't want to issue Marriage Licenses to Gays?  The story was all over the news and they were getting threatened with jail from the AG's office and sued by the ACLU....  Talk about a double standard.  :angry:

2 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Question... what happens if people who already own guns move there? Seems like it could be a serious issue. 

You can legally bring them with you.  If you want to buy another handgun while living in NC, that is where you run into a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

When living in Lakeland, FL used to shoot at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saddle-Creek-Gun-Range/152333698149016   

and

Tenoroc

http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/

Seems this one might have some construction. Check for updates at both before driving.

On 12/13/2016 at 10:41 PM, bhall said:

Another great site for you to check out Gwen

http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16

Thanks for the tip.  That's a great forum, and I've learned a lot there.

Meanwhile I've driven back to the dealer and paid off my gun.  They will hold it until my permit comes through.  The owner of the store (the largest gun store in the US) has put me in touch with an NRA lobbyist about my permit problems.  I'm awaiting a call from him.

Something strange is now happening with permit appointments in my county.  My original appointment was for March 16.  Then suddenly this week appointments started showing up for early February.  So I got mine changed to February 6.  Last week the appointments for CCP were about 10 days out.  Now they are several weeks out.  In any event, I think I'll be able to get my CCP by late summer/early fall.  I'm going to try and schedule my CCP classes for mid March to early April and go ahead and schedule my appointment before I go to the classes.

Today I bought my first box of ammunition and a heavily-padded pistol case.  I've picked out the electronic earmuffs I want ( Howard Leight Impact Pro ).   I already have cleaning supplies and a great CC holster.  I'm having a hard time finding quality shooting glasses that will fit over my prescription glasses.  Any suggestions?  And anything else I need?

Last year this time I had no interest in owning a handgun.  It's hard to believe how my feelings have changed so quickly.  Now it's very important to me to assert my Second Amendment rights, and I'm already thinking about what gun to buy next.  And I'm joining the NRA.  David is a lifetime member.  Now I'll be a member too.

You're doing all the right things Gwen, please let us know what the NRA rep has to say. I wouldn't be surprised if the County is already under pressure from them to clean up their act.

Can you imagine if there were this many hoops to jump through to get a drivers license? And cars are arguably FAR more dangerous than a gun.

Ideally, just like a drivers license, you should be able to get a "Learners Permit" right away. It would have an expiration date of say 6 months. If you fail to pass a test and get your permanent License to Carry then the Learners Permit would expire and you would have to keep your gun at your home. Just as if you flunked your Drivers test, your car would have to stay in your driveway  :lol:

• 1 month later...

Disappointed that I haven't heard from the NRA rep.  But today I finally got to apply for 5 purchase permits.  If I'm not notified that I've been denied, I pick them up in 14 days.  Stupid questions on the application -- like "are you a fugitive from justice?"

Now the wait to apply for a CCP is four months.  And then another 60-90 days to find out whether I've been approved.  Plenty of time for me to practice at the range and go to my CC classes.